HybridZ

Couple turbo swap questions

Ben's Z

1) My 77 harness has a female bullet connector for the oil pressure sending unit.  The turbo sending unit has two male blade connectors.  Why is there an extra one and how will this hook up?

2) How is anyone getting a BOV between the AFM and throttle body.  Just browsing at what I have tonight I cannot see anything other than the boots fitting in there. Can someone show me some pictures? 

3) Does the 3 center exhaust port studs get the same 3 thick washers as the other studs that do both the intake and exhaust?

Thanks

Are you using a turbo harness or adapting your harness? Also are you using your non turbo components? The afm on a turbo zx is in front of the turbo inlet so you could put a bov anywhere eight before the throttle body.

Turbo harness, no non turbo components other than N42 intake.  Does the AFM basically get held in place by hoses for the most part?  Looks like from the core support you would have (Cone Filter, Boot, AFM, Boot, Turbo inlet correct? With not much "give" in there.

1.) Use a sending unit from a non turbo

2.) The J-Pipe can be fitted with a BOV

3.) No, but cant hurt

RE: #3... Stock studs aren't long enough to let you do that. It can hurt, if you by chance got a thread or two started, tightening them down would just strip the threads on the studs or nuts...or both.

Turbo harness, no non turbo components other than N42 intake.  Does the AFM basically get held in place by hoses for the most part?  Looks like from the core support you would have (Cone Filter, Boot, AFM, Boot, Turbo inlet correct? With not much "give" in there.

The ZX wheel well came with a bracket spot welded onto the frame to support the afm. If this is going into a s30, you should probably try to find a nice snug place for it and make a bracket (removable or not, your choice) to support the afm.

Every AFM I've ever done just hangs from the piping. It should move with the piping...you look at what they did in the ZX and the hoses take up all the flex. Put a proper hump hose at the turbo and one other spot along the way, and everything else can be rigidly mounted to the chassis through piping tabs. The AFM is therefore vibration isolated by it's rubber connector.

Z31 Cone Filter, Positioning Duct, stiff silicone hose, AFM, stiff silicone hose, 90 el through core support, hump hose, hard turbo inlet pipe, hump hose, turbocharger inlet.

This will allow me to remove the left engine mount bolts and jack the motor over till something hits the chassis, and the hump hoses STILL have fleet left in them (and the AFM doesn't move a bit!)

Every AFM I've ever done just hangs from the piping. It should move with the piping...you look at what they did in the ZX and the hoses take up all the flex. Put a proper hump hose at the turbo and one other spot along the way, and everything else can be rigidly mounted to the chassis through piping tabs. The AFM is therefore vibration isolated by it's rubber connector.

Z31 Cone Filter, Positioning Duct, stiff silicone hose, AFM, stiff silicone hose, 90 el through core support, hump hose, hard turbo inlet pipe, hump hose, turbocharger inlet.

This will allow me to remove the left engine mount bolts and jack the motor over till something hits the chassis, and the hump hoses STILL have fleet left in them (and the AFM doesn't move a bit!)

Tony,

Unless I am picturing this wrong, I don't understand how I can run an intercooler with this set up.  I was going to use a IC with inlet and outlet on opposite sides. How can you get that much pipe through the drivers side core support?

Most problems will get resolved with persistence and creativity. I've done an engine swap in the mud having ZERO space, using just a cherry picker and scissor jacks, and not a single oil pan, firewall, or core support got bent!

But yes, it took time, and some excise in creative thinking.

You can get a LOT of piping where it needs to go if you just take your time and plan it out, then make it work when the plans fail.

• Like 1

I got my AFM to turbo boot working nicely.  I whacked up the stock 280zx boot.  I should have enough space to clear my A/C comp and a cone filter will be really close to the fan shroud, but it should all work.  The rubber at the turbo was a little brittle but I trimmed it back a little bit.

Most problems will get resolved with persistence and creativity. I've done an engine swap in the mud having ZERO space, using just a cherry picker and scissor jacks, and not a single oil pan, firewall, or core support got bent!

But yes, it took time, and some excise in creative thinking.

You can get a LOT of piping where it needs to go if you just take your time and plan it out, then make it work when the plans fail.

I find cutting solves most interference problems quickly, cleanly, and permanently. Bending was never my style either. Cutting was!

And you forgot "in a snowstorm, after walking uphill from school five miles, during an eclipse"!