HybridZ

Corbeau A4's in 280Z

2eighTZ4me

Searched on Corbeau A4, and still didn't get the info that I needed.

Corbeau has a bracket that is supposedly made for a direct fit for a 280Z. Has anyone used these? I asked if it was specifically for a 280 and not a 240 - and was told that it was for a 280.

Also - with these seats - is it necessary on a 280 to have to bash in the cat hump, or do they fit with no modification?

Good morning,

I have personally and guys I know have dealt with Corbeau seats for awhile. I have never seen a seat slider bracket for the late? 1977-1978 Datsun Z. I have Forza fixed backed seats I purchase about 5-6 years ago, and I discovered this issue dealing with the vendor. We know are cars better than they do, and the bracket that was specified for my application (1977) was not a simple bolt on. I modified the bracket to bolt into the stock front mount, but I was never happy with the seat height. I am re-installing the seats, I purchase the 2.5 inch universal bracket and I will be removing the stock mount hump. Additionally, I will weld in some tabs on the floor plan to bolt the seats down to the floor. If you have take into consideration your height, a roll-bar if you have one and what universal slider to go with. Your height options are flush, 2.5 inches and think the next was 3-5 inches adjustable. You have to decide if you want to remove the front hump as well. Measure and take everything into consideration before your start cutting away. Do the 240, 260 and early 280's have the front mount hump?

One more thing, Corbeau provides instructions that states fabrication may be needed. It is not difficult, just tedious and planning is essential-- you want to be comfortable. A quick scan of the gallery and the 240

and 260 has the front mount bar and two brackets on the rear floor.

Edited by Dudeboy

Thanks Glenn! Well - looks like I'm going to be the guinea pig for the A4's. I have a pair of GTS II's in my other 280, and they are a little tall. I'm 6'1" and my head hits the roof. No big deal though - I can squinch down a bit in the seat and gain the necessary headroom. Helmet is a different story - but that's for another discussion. No rollbar - this is a daily driver. I guess I'd better document this good so we have it for future reference.

I could not decide between the sawzall, dremel or 4.5 inch angle grinder. So, looking at how the front stock mounting location can be removed I picked up a couple of 4.5 inch metal cutting blades for the angle grinder at Home Depot. There 2 different kinds and I bought two of each $1.88 and $2.67.  I have photos coming of parts and before/after photos.  Over the next couple of days I need to go over my plan for reinforcing the floor.

Edited by Dudeboy

Here is my experience on aftermarket sport seats in my 77 280z.

Need to keep the stock floorboard the same (due to car value).

The cat hump can be smashed as the carpet covers it

Ordered Corbeau A4s with Corbeau sliders and brackets. Nothing worked and Corbeau admitted that the 77-78 (coupe) brackets do not work with factory floor boards/bolt pattern.  I returned everything!

Ordered Recaro Speed S seats (Black with Black suede inserts and silver logo)

Ordered 2 sets of Corbeau single side sliders

Ordered a set of used factory 77 280z sliders (need to keep factory seat in-tac)

Car is going in the shop on March 18th for installation

Shop is cutting the 'feet' off the second set of factory slider to use with the Corbeau sliders.

Lets hope this works.  Not a cheap solution, but it will look awesome in preparation for the 2013 convention in New Hampshire!

• Like 1

I have the A4's in my 78 280.  Have had them for 8 years now.  I did have to modify the brackets a little.  Had to re-drill the mounting holes and ad tabs for the front.  Was pretty easy and I love the seats.  They do fit pretty high and limit head room.  When the seats are cold, my head just brushes the head liner.  When the seats warm up just a little,my butt sinks in and I have just enough room for a helmet.  I'm 5'11".  I could probably bash the hump and get them in a little lower with more modification to the brackets, but I am pretty happy the way they are.  I've spent some 10 hour days in them and find them very comfortable.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I have the A4's in my 78 280.  Have had them for 8 years now.  I did have to modify the brackets a little.  Had to re-drill the mounting holes and ad tabs for the front.  Was pretty easy and I love the seats.  They do fit pretty high and limit head room.  When the seats are cold, my head just brushes the head liner.  When the seats warm up just a little,my butt sinks in and I have just enough room for a helmet.  I'm 5'11".  I could probably bash the hump and get them in a little lower with more modification to the brackets, but I am pretty happy the way they are.  I've spent some 10 hour days in them and find them very comfortable.

Mike

Hey Mike, could we see some pictures and maybe post them on the 280Z seat swap list?

http://forums.hybrid...seat-swap-list/

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my experience on aftermarket sport seats in my 77 280z.

Need to keep the stock floorboard the same (due to car value).

The cat hump can be smashed as the carpet covers it

Ordered Corbeau A4s with Corbeau sliders and brackets. Nothing worked and Corbeau admitted that the 77-78 (coupe) brackets do not work with factory floor boards/bolt pattern.  I returned everything!

Ordered Recaro Speed S seats (Black with Black suede inserts and silver logo)

Ordered 2 sets of Corbeau single side sliders

Ordered a set of used factory 77 280z sliders (need to keep factory seat in-tac)

Car is going in the shop on March 18th for installation

Shop is cutting the 'feet' off the second set of factory slider to use with the Corbeau sliders.

Lets hope this works.  Not a cheap solution, but it will look awesome in preparation for the 2013 convention in New Hampshire!

How'd this turn out? I also have a 77z and will follow your lead if all is well.

-John

Used the stock 280 brackets, and with but a couple pieces of flat stock, drilled the offsets between the seats and the floor mounts. Bolted right up - no smashing of the tunnel or anything. They sit a wee bit high, but still usable. Will get pics of the passenger side and post. It's not difficult - just takes a little time.