HybridZ

XXR Center cap fitment write-up

Ok so i bought some XXR 532's for my Z to clear my AZC big brake kit as outlined in my other write up.

The specs on the wheels are 16x8 +0 offset, running BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 Tires (225/50/ZR16) Love them. They are even stickier than the original GF Sports.

Anywho, a common problem with Z guys and looks like 510/810 guys is the front bearing hub protrusion. This doesn't allow you to use the XXR center caps with out front spacers. The stock Turbo 280zx center caps are just a hair too big in outer diameter around the retaining tangs. I'm guessing 3-4mm in extra O.D. Just enough to not fit lol. So i found away around this to retro fit the TURBO center caps onto the XXR center caps and make them work with the aftermarket wheels. I like how these wheels have an aggressive look but also look "period correct" in a sense, aside from being 16's lol.

Anywho, here are pics of what I did to retro-fit the factory center caps to these wheels. Now whether these will apply to all XXR center caps, I have no idea. I don't even know if the diameter of the center cap hole is the same on all XXR wheels. If it is then you could possibly order center caps for 532 wheels and use them on whatever other XXR wheels you have.

So start off with cutting out the center section of 2 center caps. Obviously you don't have to do this to all 4 because you only have 2 protruding bearing hubs. I used a mini air saw which still took some time as the plastic melts on the blade and vibrates the **** out of your hand.

581874_1746242465272_548874590_n.jpg

Cut as close to the edge of the emblem area as you can, but not any further. As you can see, doesn't have to be perfect, just functional and to clear the bearing hub.

480977_1746242945284_490289559_n.jpg

Once you've completed this, move on to the turbo center caps. Every retaining tang needs to be removed down to the base. You can start with a flat bladed screw driver and stick it down as deep as it will go, carefully pry forward and the tang should start to tear away. Keep some safety glasses on cause some of them are hard and will fly into your face/eyes.

487609_1746242745279_1250224076_n.jpg

374465_1746242665277_688101177_n.jpg

This should allow the XXR center cap to barely protrude past the edge of the Z center cap. Approximately 1mm outward will give it perfect fitment with the 532's. However with different wheels this could be different. Try making some measurements and adjust your specs accordingly.

420327_1746243105288_641314043_n.jpg

Do this to the remaining 4 center caps and get them sized up and synced in where you want them. Now onto gluing them in. The plastic weld doesn't work as well on this as it would on others. I opted for Loctite 5 min. epoxy that you can pick up at Home Depot for about $6. Make sure you sand down the inside of the center cap with 80 grit sand paper to remove all the chrome coating and give it a rough surface area to adhere to. Do this to the outside circumference of the XXR center cap as well. Next run a bead of epoxy along the inside of the sanded area of the Z center cap. Drop in the XXR center cap and twist a little bit to distribute the epoxy. Let it settle for a few minutes and run a small bead along top to fill the remaining cracks for good measure.

1871_1746243625301_1521163414_n.jpg

Now let it settle for a minimum of 12 hours. The box says 24, i was able to handle and test fit in 12 with no problems. Notice how the front center caps will not have the metal retaining ring, while the rear center caps will. The front center caps will not sink in all the way if you use the metal retaining ring.

733852_1746245785355_162406585_n.jpg

And the final product. Although they aren't the factory rims, the stock center caps still look good and help maintain a sense of originality, plus it gives some contrast to the all black appearance.

581771_1746245905358_2033277514_n.jpg

Hope this helps someone in the future to decide what wheels to go with, or to help them retain the factory center caps.

Good job ! You are saving me some time to figure this one out . Thanks . Just mounted my XXR 527 on my 78 . Yours look great . Woundered if this method will work with RB/RBR , on my 83 . Don't see why not .

Thanks! I'd like to see the finished product on yours as well, i bet those would look good on an old school Z

I've got some XXR 16x8-0, and Bridgestone 225/50s as well. If I ever get my car here, I was going to see if I could shorten and narrow the bearing caps a bit to fit the XXR caps on.

No its not the cap that is the issue, the physical hub also sticks out. So even trying to half-ass shorten the cap by 2-3mm would make absolutely no difference. The only ways that I've come up with is either my way, running without center caps up front, or running at least 1" thick wheel adapters.