HybridZ

Rear brake caliper guide pin bushings replaceable?

Is the bushing that the rear disc brake caliper guide pins slide into replaceable?  It looks like it is, and I thought I saw it in a manual once, but I don’t see it listed in the FSM, and I can’t find a part # for it.  My calipers sit rather loosely on those pins, and I’ve replaced the pins, so I suspect the bushing in the caliper mounting bracket might be worn.  Does anyone have any info on this?  I couldn’t find any mention of this in my searches.  Calipers bolt to the pins tightly, but pins seem to have more free play inside those bushings than I'm used to.  I'm getting a little noise from the rear passenger side when pulling away from a stop, and I've already changed the calipers, pins, rotors, and pads.

1982 280ZX 

Thanks, John.  I have gotten rebuilt calipers but the bushing I'm talking about is actually the on the spindle side of things.  I don't have a good picture, but I think they call it the caliper mounting member.  When the caliper comes off, it's the piece that's still mounted to the axle / spindle side of things.  If I could buy a replacement mounting member, I might.  The pins slide into these bushings.  I may try and pry it out, but wanted to see if anyone had ever heard of this, or if maybe I'm on the wrong track.

When you have your calipers mounted, can you wiggle the caliper much?  Mine moves a couple mm, which seems to me to be too much free play between the caliper pin and the mounting member.  But I've never tried this on any one else's ZX, so I don't knwo for sure if this is unusual.  it seems unusual compared to other cars.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you mean, "mounting bracket". what the brake calipers bolts up to?

Where does it "wiggle" from, the bracket or caliper?

No offense, but did you bleed your brakes? your pads could be spaced to far out?

Only thing i can think of is, your mounting bracket bolts are loose,  or your wiggling to hard.

Edited by pnoyslimm