HybridZ

240z needs a 5-speed...,.have 280zx

Thanks to you guys my 240 is way to quick to live with the 4-speed.  I finished building the Subie diff over the weekend and was looking at 280z 5-speeds. I found a whole 280zx w/5-speed for less than the z tranny ($400.) 

What I understand from research here is that between the two cars I will have all the needed parts to swap the zx tranny in.  Can someone verify this before I drop the $$ on the basket-case zx? 

Thanks

Thanks to you guys my 240 is way to quick to live with the 4-speed.  I finished building the Subie diff over the weekend and was looking at 280z 5-speeds. I found a whole 280zx w/5-speed for less than the z tranny ($400.) 

What I understand from research here is that between the two cars I will have all the needed parts to swap the zx tranny in.  Can someone verify this before I drop the $$ on the basket-case zx? 

Thanks

Yes, you'll have it all except the crossmember (you will need to modify the one from your 240) and you may or may not need to change the length of the driveshaft.

I just put a T-5 in mine.  It was a very smooth swap, and I didn't even have a donor car, I just had the transmission.  I had to get a new driveshaft made and modify the crossmember, adjust the hole in the tunnel for the shifter with some tin snips, and that was it.  It went right in.

Sounds like a great find.  Take the transmission and related parts and part out the rest of the car here or on Ebay and you should make money on this swap!  Good luck!

Thanks, that is how I was reading the info here but have been known to make mistakes.  I will now have 1 pretty decent spare 240z, one pretty snotty 280z (4speed), and one total basket case 280zx.  I think I should build another chumpcar :-)

Just make sure you use everything associated with the ZX tranny, meaning the collar more than anything. You could probably easily make your money back by parting out the ZX if it has an engine and the suspension isn't hit (not talking about the struts and springs, I mean control arms and strut tubes. 

Yes, you'll have it all except the crossmember (you will need to modify the one from your 240) 

The crossmember doesn't need to be modified if using the Nissan 5 speed. You can also use your original driveshaft. 

Just make sure you use everything associated with the ZX tranny, meaning the collar more than anything. 

If you're taking about the throwout bearing collar, it has to match the clutch, not the transmission. So if you're still using the original clutch, make sure you get the throwout bearing collar from the 4 speed, and swap it into the 5 speed bellhousing.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

The crossmember doesn't need to be modified if using the Nissan 5 speed. You can also use your original driveshaft. 

If you're taking about the throwout bearing collar, it has to match the clutch, not the transmission. So if you're still using the original clutch, make sure you get the throwout bearing collar from the 4 speed, and swap it into the 5 speed bellhousing.

Nigel

I Didin't think of that...thanks!

My 0.02, a lot of it is just repeating what other people have said.

I pulled my 5 speed from a '79ZX and it went into a '71.

The transmission does bolt in with the stock crossmember as long as it is not the T-5 (good time to replace the transmission mount).

You do need to cut the transmission tunnel ~2 inches forward and either fold the metal over or cut it off, which will result in a new shift boot.

You can use the either gear stick, but 3rd will be inside your radio/heater control, so you will probably need to either put an S to move the gear lever back, cut and weld in a piece to move it back, or I think the short shifter has an adequate curve and reduced throw to work.

For my application, I needed to shorten the ZX driveshaft by about an inch, I think this may have something to do with my 2+2 mustache bar for my R200, but your results may vary.

Oh and if you have another drive shaft/spare shaft, you can cut or use the whole things as a plug and swap out the tranny fluid while everything is nice and accessible. Also a great time to inspect and replace your slave cylinder and boot.

Edited by seattlejester

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm I hope I am not Threadjacking but I found a T-5 out of a GM vehicle. I did not take the time to pull it myself, it was already out and it was free. I heard and read that the T-5 out of the Nissans are different than the ones out of a GM or a Ford. I think it is the input shaft is different, is that true?

• 6 months later...

This is about the closest thread i could find  without making a new thread to ask the question. 

from info posted here the tranny mount between the 4 and 5 speed are the same? So i go and order one do i need to specify 4 or 5 speed?

If you mean the rubber sandwich mount that sits on the cross member, they're the same for the 71B type 4 and 5 speeds.  I've used the same one for both, 1976 4 speed, 1978 5 speed, 1983 5 speed, 1980 5 speed. 

Don't know about the T5 type.  The 71C 5 speed mount, like the 300ZX uses, is different.

I've used O'Reilly Auto's compatibility tab on their web site, and RockAuto's alos to determine compatibility.  Might help if you're still thinking.

What is the gear ratio in your differential?  the 79-80ZX T5's were designed to go with a 3.54.  The 82/83ZX T5's were designed to go with a 3.90.  Don't remember what the 81 was paired off with.

When I converted my '77 over to a 5-spd zI got a T5 & R200 out of an 83ZX - better overall gear ratio than the earlier years.  Really livened the car up.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This is my first post and I look forward to reading and learning more about the 240z. I currently have a '88 Firebird, '77 and '81 Corvette and am interested in obtaining and modifying a 240z

The Nissan model was one of the earliest Non-World Class (NWC) T5s on the market and the bearings, syncro-rings, inserts and other parts are standard items and easily obtainable. Weighing 75 lbs its rated to take 265 ft/lbs, a rating that all T5s held until 1989 when they jumped to 300ft/lbs. The standard Datsun 5-speed is said to be rated to take 200 ft/lbs and weighs about 70lbs.

The T5 in the 1982-86 280ZX/300ZX turbos is 100% Borg Warner but with a special tailhousing designed for the Datsun speedometer sleeve/cog as well as a bellhousing to let it bolt onto a L28/Z31. Notable is a smaller 1.3" tailshaft yoke diameter compared to the 1.5" found on the Ford/GM T5s.

I know that a FS5R90A : Borg Warner T-5 will work and any short throw shifter made for the 5-speed Mustang will work fine in this transmission but are weak when nearing 300HP.

Has anyone installed a FS5R30A M/T from a Z31? They are supposedly rated at +600HP from Z32s. If so, can you point me to some more information on this or elaborate here.

Thanks,

This is my first post and I look forward to reading and learning more about the 240z. I currently have a '88 Firebird, '77 and '81 Corvette and am interested in obtaining and modifying a 240z

The Nissan model was one of the earliest Non-World Class (NWC) T5s on the market and the bearings, syncro-rings, inserts and other parts are standard items and easily obtainable. Weighing 75 lbs its rated to take 265 ft/lbs, a rating that all T5s held until 1989 when they jumped to 300ft/lbs. The standard Datsun 5-speed is said to be rated to take 200 ft/lbs and weighs about 70lbs.

The T5 in the 1982-86 280ZX/300ZX turbos is 100% Borg Warner but with a special tailhousing designed for the Datsun speedometer sleeve/cog as well as a bellhousing to let it bolt onto a L28/Z31. Notable is a smaller 1.3" tailshaft yoke diameter compared to the 1.5" found on the Ford/GM T5s.

I know that a FS5R90A : Borg Warner T-5 will work and any short throw shifter made for the 5-speed Mustang will work fine in this transmission but are weak when nearing 300HP.

Has anyone installed a FS5R30A M/T from a Z31? They are supposedly rated at +600HP from Z32s. If so, can you point me to some more information on this or elaborate here.

Thanks,

This is a very popular swap and adapter plates can be bought for it. Search and you'll find what you're looking for. 

As for the original topic at hand, I swapped in a close ratio 5 speed from my 83 2+2, along with the 3.90 diff and OBX LSD. Zero external differences between transmissions. Just be sure to reuse the throwout bearing if the new trans was mated to the 240mm flywheel (turbo or 2+2 cars), and reuse the straight shifter. The dogleg one from the ZX looks to have a longer fulcrum (shorter shifts) and would position the shift knob further forward by the wheel, however you would have to extend the opening in the trans tunnel if you want to keep using 1st, 3rd and 5th gear. 

I did this on my 72 . No cutting just used the curved shifter from the 4 speed

My 0.02, a lot of it is just repeating what other people have said.

I pulled my 5 speed from a '79ZX and it went into a '71.

The transmission does bolt in with the stock crossmember as long as it is not the T-5 (good time to replace the transmission mount).

You do need to cut the transmission tunnel ~2 inches forward and either fold the metal over or cut it off, which will result in a new shift boot.

You can use the either gear stick, but 3rd will be inside your radio/heater control, so you will probably need to either put an S to move the gear lever back, cut and weld in a piece to move it back, or I think the short shifter has an adequate curve and reduced throw to work.

For my application, I needed to shorten the ZX driveshaft by about an inch, I think this may have something to do with my 2+2 mustache bar for my R200, but your results may vary.

Oh and if you have another drive shaft/spare shaft, you can cut or use the whole things as a plug and swap out the tranny fluid while everything is nice and accessible. Also a great time to inspect and replace your slave cylinder and boot.

So who's correct? Iv seen both answers all over forums and the original owner of my car gave me a 5 speed with the car that I'd like to swap in until I do my rb swap and dont feel like doing anything real crazy to get this thing to fit. Old owner said it'd bolt right up, most people online say it bolts up, some say i need mustache bars and different length driveshafts, for a 76 280z with an r200 diff and an old 4 speed, wont a 5 speed from a 78 280z work just fine?

71 is not like 72 is not like 76 is not like 79 (especially, not an S30) could be partial cause for the confusion.  The 78 5 speed will swap straight over to a 76, shifter and all.  You'll lose the top gear switch that activates the solenoid for the distributor's vacuum advance,

So who's correct? Iv seen both answers all over forums and the original owner of my car gave me a 5 speed with the car that I'd like to swap in until I do my rb swap and dont feel like doing anything real crazy to get this thing to fit. Old owner said it'd bolt right up, most people online say it bolts up, some say i need mustache bars and different length driveshafts, for a 76 280z with an r200 diff and an old 4 speed, wont a 5 speed from a 78 280z work just fine?

The transmission tunnel opening changed between 71 and 72. '70, and both early and late '71 Zs have the small shifter opening which will need to be trimmed, '72+ have the larger opening, and do not need trimming. The later opening extends 2" more towards the front compared to the early style opening.

Edited by rturbo 930