I got bored with my S2000 and decided I wanted to have another Z. Traded the S2000 in for a BRZ as my wife's car and started this project. The goal was simple, I wanted over 300WHP (hopefully closer to 380WHP) when it was completely done and a solid daily driver/weekend racer. I initially wanted to build a KA24DET but after really digging into what it would take to make it as dependable as the SR20DET out of the box, I abandoned it for now (really want to come back and revisit building a KA24DET or maybe a newer Nissan engine). I started out by sourcing an "almost" rust free 73 240Z that looked well enough that I didn't feel I had to dump money into paint and body. I apologize for not getting more pics of before and after as well some specifics of fitment. I know when I started this project I searched high and low for things like shifter placement, then forgot to take hardly any pics of our mock up.
This build could be done for less money if I just fabricated parts as I went, but I wanted to actually try out using pre-made parts and having other people do some of the work (first car I have paid for build work, hope it's a positive experience).
Here are the parts I have already bought (or some of the more notable):
- SR20DET red top with transmission.
- McKinney Motorsports mount kit.
- McKinney SR20 FMIC kit.
- McKinney radiator with fan and shroud.
- McKinney 3" exhaust and muffler with McKinney SR20 down pipe.
- Arizona Z Car brake kit with 5 lug conversion.
- Tokico shock and spring kit.
- Megan Racing AFPR with ISIS FPR adapter.
- Megan Racing short shifter kit.
- Circuit Sports Solid Shifter Bushing
- Energy Suspension Urethane kit
- Hallman MBC.
- S15 oil pickup (to replace the common failure point on the S13).
- New wheels and tires (since I am going 5 lug).
- ISIS intake manifold/plenum (Greddy style)
- GKTech eccentric throttle pulley (S14)
- Circuit Sports stainless steel oil pan with baffles.
We will be using an R200 long nose, and money willing, it will be rebuilt with a Quaife sometime next year once testing is done.
Planned performance upgrades to come this Fall/Winter once we test the setup through out this year:
- EFR 6758
- Full Race Manifold
- AEM EMS v2
- AEM Electronics MAP Sensor Kits 30-2130-50
- AEM AIT Sensor Kit
- Circuit Sports DIS Ignition System
- Jim Wolf S3 Cams 11.2 Lift 260 - SR20DET
- Tomei Rocker Arm Stoppers
The car (I hated the mirrors from the moment I picked the car up).
So I changed those immediately...
Next up, the parts...
Edited by CasperIV, 27 June 2013 - 10:13 AM.