UPDATE: For those interested, my pictures are all broken in this thread and the information is falling out of date. If you are interested in keeping up with this project you can catch updates on my YouTube channel or Facebook and the long form evolving article at www.ambive.com. This project will be finished, but it took forever to get my parts back from the shops that were doing anything but work on it to finish myself.
I got bored with my S2000 and decided I wanted to have another Z. Traded the S2000 in for a BRZ as my wife's car and started this project. The goal was simple, I wanted over 300WHP (hopefully closer to 380WHP) when it was completely done and a solid daily driver/weekend racer. I initially wanted to build a KA24DET but after really digging into what it would take to make it as dependable as the SR20DET out of the box, I abandoned it for now (really want to come back and revisit building a KA24DET or maybe a newer Nissan engine). I started out by sourcing an "almost" rust free 73 240Z that looked well enough that I didn't feel I had to dump money into paint and body. I apologize for not getting more pics of before and after as well some specifics of fitment. I know when I started this project I searched high and low for things like shifter placement, then forgot to take hardly any pics of our mock up.
This build could be done for less money if I just fabricated parts as I went, but I wanted to actually try out using pre-made parts and having other people do some of the work (first car I have paid for build work, hope it's a positive experience).
Here are the parts I have already bought (or some of the more notable):
- SR20DET red top with transmission.
- McKinney Motorsports mount kit.
- McKinney SR20 FMIC kit.
- McKinney radiator with fan and shroud.
- McKinney 3" exhaust and muffler with McKinney SR20 down pipe.
- Arizona Z Car brake kit with 5 lug conversion.
- Tokico shock and spring kit.
- Megan Racing AFPR with ISIS FPR adapter.
- Megan Racing short shifter kit.
- Circuit Sports Solid Shifter Bushing
- Energy Suspension Urethane kit
- Hallman MBC.
- S15 oil pickup (to replace the common failure point on the S13).
- New wheels and tires (since I am going 5 lug).
- ISIS intake manifold/plenum (Greddy style)
- GKTech eccentric throttle pulley (S14)
- Circuit Sports stainless steel oil pan with baffles.
We will be using an R200 long nose, and money willing, it will be rebuilt with a Quaife sometime next year once testing is done.
Planned performance upgrades to come this Fall/Winter once we test the setup through out this year:
- EFR 6758
- Full Race Manifold
- AEM EMS v2
- AEM Electronics MAP Sensor Kits 30-2130-50
- AEM AIT Sensor Kit
- Circuit Sports DIS Ignition System
- Jim Wolf S3 Cams 11.2 Lift 260 - SR20DET
- Tomei Rocker Arm Stoppers
The car (I hated the mirrors from the moment I picked the car up).
So I changed those immediately...
Next up, the parts...
Edited by CasperIV, 28 June 2017 - 01:13 PM.