HybridZ

Looking for a few good candidates (And their money)

Matt Isbell and I are in discussions about going to Aerodyn2 for a day in their tunnel.  We're looking for a few other candidate cars/owners.  This is not a donations event gang, as there is likelihood that some of the information would not be shared with the community (all of Matt's data should be assumed proprietary since he is competing).

I'll be reaching out to members here, but if you know of a WILD ride that should be in the tunnel, then have them contact me offline.

Mike

post-7-0-33801100-1364332771_thumb.jpg

Im in.

I dont want everyone to think that my data is so highly classified. We, MTI Racing, have been working for some time to produce a winning car and lots of time, effort and my hard earned has gotten us there. My car is special but not that special. Anyone who was part of the group would have the opportunity to learn from each others cars and we as a whole could improve our set up. I know that between myself, Mike, Marc and a few others this would be money well spent. 

post-13190-0-67574300-1364334914_thumb.jpg

Mike........Did you see the new CF end plates I made for the wing. I had a go with the neon yellow vinyl wrap stuff as well. I think it looks good. I got my motivation from the Audi R8 Grand Am car I was racing at RA. I really cant wait to put this in the tunnel and get some data. My mind is already thinking of a few variations of setup I want to see the numbers on. Great idea.........

post-13190-0-26806900-1364358047_thumb.jpg

John Tedder, John Hines, Mark Icard, Tom Barnett, Thom Harris and Austin H.  Participated in the last test.  All of you guys did such a great job, and I would accept any assistance working with the cars will be running through the tunnel.  I want to stress that we'll be funding this out of our own pockets this time, so anyone wanting to run a car through, as we get more firm details and dates, I'll let everyone know the cost breakdown on the time in the tunnel.

I have about 6-8 simple tests I'd like to conduct on my car.  Only one would require removing the car from the tunnel.  I'll start working on a plan for my car specifically, and Matt I. if you can send me a list offline of the items you want to test, we'll start building out a plan.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike / Matt

Has thought been given to testing the original G-Nose Undertray?

I have recently found a shop in Japan replicating this part true to original including oil drain holes, etc.

I don't know the timeframe of this second round of tests, but my plan was to get a couple of these for myself, Burton Brown, and Andy Flagg as they are "stock parts" and can be used in our competition.

The original Cd reductions quoted in the original S130 book included this Undertray.

PM me if there is interest in getting one for testing and I'll see what I can do about pushing my schedule in Japan to go get them. The shipping is prohibitive, but oversize luggage on a 1K Flyer Benefit makes multiples (3 or 4) a possibility when there on business travel anyway.

Looking forward to the data.  Matt, the car is looking good.  I think the last time I saw it it still had the little spoiler and no side skirts.  I'd love to hear about the benefits of the new parts.  Will donate some dollars to the cause.  Not much else I can do unless you're also testing s130 stuff :P

• 2 weeks later...

Matt - since I just this evening completed the black pinstripping of our 240Z BSR clone race car here are my thoughts:

1) the original cars were painted black and the 1/8-inch relief was taped over between the three colors

2) even with vinyl pinstripping the difference really makes the BSR paint scheme standout

3) the numbers are a royal PITA to do

4) doing it on a lift would have helped

5) I am not looking to do it again anytime soon

Matt - since I just this evening completed the black pinstripping of our 240Z BSR clone race car here are my thoughts:

1) the original cars were painted black and the 1/8-inch relief was taped over between the three colors

2) even with vinyl pinstripping the difference really makes the BSR paint scheme standout

3) the numbers are a royal PITA to do

4) doing it on a lift would have helped

5) I am not looking to do it again anytime soon

I'd love to see the pictures. Could you give me thie link to your thread. I'm sure it looks fabulous. My car does not have the pinstripe. At 160mph you cant even notice............

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry I have dropped the ball on this guys.  I'm going to call Aerodyn2 this week and try to get some dates and a more accurate cost together.  the testing would take place in Mooresville NC and I'd like to keep the testing to 4-5 cars so we can maximize the time and testing.

Car owners and their crews would be limited to 12 total AND because of the high success rate from the last time we tested, I'd lean heavily on those who attended and showed true discipline and willingness to take and give direction during the test scenarios.  So Mark Icard, John Tedder, John Hines, Tom Barnett, Austin H. and Tom Harris are on the team if they can make it.  from there we can fill in the blanks with who is left.  Matt and I will test our cars, and I'd like to get Mark Icards car in the tunnel as well if possible.  Pete Agapoglou has expressed interest in bringing his car down and participating.  The hope is that we would be able to keep the cost at or below $1000 per car and of course we would accept donations to offset the costs and make available any results.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

• 2 weeks later...

If taking my car is going to pose a problem, then I will step aside and not go. I certainly don't want anyone getting mad at me for something that is out of my control. I thought my build thread was pretty open and not secretive. I actually know that if anyone hangs out with my team for a weekend can usually get all the info they will ever need about my car. Its not like I drive an F1 car and big $$$ are at stake. I want to know how to make my car better, and this would give me insight into achieving that. When I am at the track racing, other teams will approach and ask my crew questions like, "What pressures does he go out on, How is he set up, camber, toe, All the things that have taken me years to figure out. If anyone looks at my thread they can see that the only time I cant answer a question is when its concerning these certain items. I also know that if we go, I will look to other members who have more experience with Z's in the tunnel. If we were taking Vette's I could offer my experience and be more helpful. I know what works for me behind the wheel under pretty high speed conditions. I think my experience with that is worth something. I also think that I am fairly well suited to try and implement some items that are harvested from the tunnel sessions and apply them to really making the car a better road race car. All of which translates down to anyone's daily driver or track car.

We can share results from our sessions as a whole. In other words, share it as a group session. We found that this works and this doesn't, not "well on Matts car this is what we did......". 

Personally, I think between the group that Mike has mentioned, we have enough to test and get some real data that would be worth our time and money. I also do not mind going with a few members and their cars, paying for the sessions between the few of us and not sharing anything we find. I thought this was going to be fun and enjoyable? 

Let me know what I can do and what I can contribute...........

We can share results from our sessions as a whole. In other words, share it as a group session. We found that this works and this doesn't, not "well on Matts car this is what we did......". 

I don't think anyone would hold it against you that you can't share your results, but obviously the whole idea becomes more attractive to the rest of us if we can benefit. 

I wouldn't be interested at all in a subjective "this works and this doesn't" sort of analysis. I'd rather have the numbers for the things that you all can share numbers for.