HybridZ

'82 ZX + '96 Explorer XLT = ???

Weltall

So, I bought a really rough non-turbo ZX for $1500 yesterday with the goal of putting my Explorers 302 in it. Both are running vehicles, but both need some love.

The ZX is rust free but it's in pretty poor condition mechanically... The Explorer has been in my family since '98 or '99, and has 181,000 miles on it. Its all there, but I'm tired of it.

I figure if I start with two running vehicles, I should have ALMOST everything I need. What I can't buy, I'll build.

:)

I would keep them both running, and just work on brakes and suspension on the ZX. It's very easy and cheap, and if you do a basic tune up you can probably get it running decent enough to make it a DD. 

Personally I would also never swap in a high mileage engine into an old car (even though I know those explorers can go to 300k no problem).

If you do know for a fact that you want this engine in, then I would start by parting out the engine of the ZX to make some money back. I bought the current ZX I'm driving for $1500 also, but I had another engine I knew was going in, and a few other parts I knew I was going to use. Sold about $600 worth of parts from the ZX.