HybridZ

It's 2013, what is an ideal clutch for a modded S30 turbo (~350ft/lb)

tyson

I know this has been discussed millions of times in the past.   I did a search of the entire forums and it looks like there hasn't been a recent post in the last 12 months about clutches for those of us with higher horsepower turbo L28s.  While old topics are OK on some subjects, I think clutches are one of those always evolving parts.  Sometimes X clutch from 5 years ago was junk and it's a reputable product today (and vice versa).

I'm currently looking for one to handle what I hope my Z can put out, which is around 350ft/lbs (so the clutch should hold around 400).  I'm using a stock lightened flywheel.  I'd also like the clutch to not drain my bank account because we all know there's some clutches that are $2,000 that are just as good as a $300 one (You supra guys know this all too well!)

Requirements.

about 400ft/lbs of grip

Be able to be driven on the street

Be able to be driven on the occasional track event or autocross/drag pass.

Be reliable

I was planning on getting one from South Bend Clutch, but they apparantly do not like to respond to e-mails and calling results in speaking to a human, only to be sent to voicemail.

Are there any good deals out there right now?  What are the best options these days?

Clutch options don't change as much as you think for 40 year old cars. South bend clutch is selling a 350z pressure plate with a 300zxt 240mm clutch disk as their 390ft-lb option, and any clutch you could use on the KA24DE will work just as well...they claim a heavy duty d21 pickup truck clutch will hold 400ft-lbs behind the KA in a 240sx.

In other words, nothing has changed.

Clutch options don't change as much as you think for 40 year old cars. South bend clutch is selling a 350z pressure plate with a 300zxt 240mm clutch disk as their 390ft-lb option, and any clutch you could use on the KA24DE will work just as well...they claim a heavy duty d21 pickup truck clutch will hold 400ft-lbs behind the KA in a 240sx.

In other words, nothing has changed.

While I understand what you are saying, things do change.

Companies release new products, prices change, availability changes.   Example: Only a few years ago I always heard centerforce DF clutches were great, now lately it seems many aren't happy with them.  Heck, most of them don't even advertise what they are capable of.  Arizona Z Car's page just states their clutch is capable of "big horsepower".  Well, big horsepower for a NA Z guy might be 180whp, for others it might be 600whp.   Has AZC's clutch been changed in the last few years?  Who knows?

What are the best buys right now for those of us who are putting down moderate amounts of power?

Edited by tyson

Example:

Is this clutch any good?  I'm very skeptical at the price of $160 for a complete clutch + pressure plate, especially one that is supposed to hold 400hp/tq.  But, ya never know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XTR-STAGE-4-CLUTCH-KIT-75-89-NISSAN-280Z-ZX-2-2-2-8L-L28ET-300ZX-3-0L-VG30-VG30T-/140940248926?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d0b1875e&vxp=mtr

Searching Hybridz gave me only 1 thread without any long term info.

This clutch might be the same thing, similar rating and price

http://www.clutchstar.com/product/f1-racing-stage-3-clutch-kit-1983-nissan-280zx-turbo-cpe-2-8l-l6-turbo

XTR and F1 racing are both resellers of Autocom clutches. Use the clutch interchange numbers to find out what they really are. Autocom parts are decent quality and are what they claim to be, but are inexpensive as they usually supply the "ebay racing clutch" guys and such.

The XTR clutch you linked is a decent clutch; but it does get grabby quick as it warms up from normal driving. The red pressure plate is most likely the older style Z31T turbo pressure plate; 240MM diameter. That said, it will likely hold the power it claims, but it will destroy your transmission at that power level. You do not want a solid hub clutch with a FS5W71B transmission if you're running that kind of power and have any plans to launch the car at the strip or do any kind of drifting. The shock loads from a solid flywheel and a solid hub clutch will not dampen any of the torque impulse to the transmission and will eventually cause failure of the countershaft bearings (smallest bearings usually go first.) That clutch is listed as "06-030 06-031 06-032" which all cross out to be a 300ZX turbo pressure plate.

Now, we'll look at F1's offering. It's the same disk, but it's sprung hub this time. This is good. Won't destroy your transmission NEARLY as fast as a solid hub unit would do with the same driving. The pressure plate in the photo is actually a new style plate; as used behind the manual-transmission VQ35 engines. The 350Z heavy-duty plate (which I bet originates from one of the trucks) and an organic disk has been shown to hold 400ft-lbs on a 250mm flywheel and disk. 240mm will hold slightly less, but still should do fine. The pressure plate bolts directly up to the stock L28ET flywheel and will work with the 240mm disk.

Now the bad news....the Altima has the same size and style of pressure plate...but it's NOT as strongly sprung and does not hold the same pressures...and it's cheaper. Since F1 doesn't list a clutch interchange number, you might try googling the number they do give to see if you can't hunt up which car that plate belongs on. Also, they may be showing a stock photo...that may not actually be the plate they ship!

Almost all of the "high performance clutches" out there for the L28ET are standard offerings for other vehicles, or disks from one vehicle and pressure plates from another. The only difference would be the copper ceramic clutch disks; most are made in china and as long as you check the balance and straightness on them they're all about the same. A LOT of Nissan vehicles use the same 1"-24 spline 240mm disk, and just as many of them used the same 240mm bolt pattern for the pressure plate. If you're looking for new clutch technology, look at the newer cars and start hunting down the specifications for the clutch. I'm going to be using a 350Z HD clutch on an RB20DET flywheel in the next few weeks, will bolt up like stock and should have only a slightly stiffer pedal, with OEM clutch life and drivability.

Some people are OK with a clutch that's a pain to drive and has to be changed every other year. Horses for courses, you know.

As for AZC's clutch...I haven't talked with Dave about it but from the photos and numbers I've seen off it, and the flywheel that he sells...it's from the same place as many other ebay clutches. He may hold his supplier to a higher standard, or test each clutch to make sure he's getting the same product, but he's got the same stuff many other people are supplying. It's up to you to call him up and ask him about his product, he's plenty willing to talk to anyone who wants to buy something. That said...it is a very nice flywheel, although it can be had much cheaper from other suppliers.

Edited by Xnke

^ Now this is some quality, quality information!  Thank you Xnke!

I searched Hybridz for some time using various terms (mainly subject containing "clutch") and was surprised at how little data or reviews we actually have collected.  A few posts where people review a clutch, but it's based off a few hundred or thousand miles with no further information.

For clarification,

The 350Z/VQ35 (and I'm guessing 37?) pressure plates bolt up to the L28 flywheel (or compadible)  without any modifications?

The clutch itself (and throwout) still needs to be for one of our transmissions though, correct?

We should get a thread going where people post their flywheel/plate/clutch setup with their engine/trans and horsepower.  Miles driven, styles driven and critique of setup.  I could see it being pretty benefitial as there are more than a few threads where people tried different clutches that just couldn't hold their power (or for long).

There are a number of the threads you speak of, and yes, the 350Z pressure plate will bolt on to a Z 240mm flywheel. It will NOT fit the 225mm flywheel.

The new site's search feature isn't nearly as good as the old site's search feature, but Google still pulls up lots of threads on clutch selection here.

Well, I meant to update earlier.

I was literally typing in my CC info for another clutch when SBC finally called me back.  I ended up going with the stage 2 whatever model is good for 400ft/lbs.  I did learn their one above that uses the 350Z pressure plate and a 250mm clutch.

Is it always reccomended to have the flywheel balanced with the pressure plate, or should I just machine the current flywheel and call it done?

Note: I decided against doing the 250mm swap--for now.  Just ends up being a couple hundred more than I'd like to spend to do it the right way.   Ended up reading lots of bad reviews about the cheaper Ebay clutches, and since they really only cater to the import crowd with less hp I decided to spend a little more.  I did find an almost scam because there's an "eClutchmasters" on e-bay, which is NOT the same clutchmasters everyone knows.

Well, I pulled the tranny today.

For anyone who reads this now or in the future, the centerforce dual friction clutch is NOT a good clutch if you plan on running higher horsepower.   My clutch still had PLENTY of meat on it, but ~250hp/tq was too much for it.   The surfaces are all clean with no contamination which tells me the only reason it was slipping was poor grip.   Good for most NA guys, but anyone running a modified turbo L6 should avoid CFDF clutches.

Edited by tyson