HybridZ

injector impedance difference

Fairlady240Z

building an RB26DETT to put in my '72 240Z  looking to get bigger injectors want to know the differenca between low impedance and high impedance injectors?  Any insight to my lack of knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your insight

Generally you want to run whatever your ECU is setup to run. In an OEM ECU you usually can't just tell it if you're running high or low impedance injectors, while with something like megasquirt you can.

If you had low impedance injectors stock, you can't add high impedance because there's no way to lower that impedance to change what the ECU "sees" so to speak.

While you CAN run a low impedance injector in place of a high impedance injector, but you need to add a resistor pack in order to make it work. Many OEM's do this, and you can see a prime example in the Z cars. Just google "280ZX Resistor Pack" and you'll see the injector resistors that pulled the low impedance injector's value up to spec for the ECU to handle. Note that the turbo models didn't require this, even though they ALSO used low impedance injectors...

...Wasn't all this covered in the injector FAQ threads? And I do believe a quick google search should dig up some general info going into more detail as to WHY some injectors are high, and others are low impedance.

Maybe Gollum wrote too many words.  The engine doesn't matter.  Injector impedance must match the electronics of the EMS.

Specify the EFI system - ECU, harness, car it came from, details like that - and someone might have an answer.

Sorry let me clarify; does the R34 RB26DETT use low or high impedance fuel injectors?

I typed your exact words into google.

RB26dett = Top feed Low impedance injectors. Stock is 440cc. Each injector will pass on about ~ 2 ohms. Each injector is wired in parallel to the ECU but in Series with a resistor. That resistor passes on about 7-8 ohms. The two signals add up to ~ 10 ohms returned to make the ECU happy.