HybridZ

McKinney Motorsports Coilover install

The point of coilovers (not in the new "Hellaflush" movement) is to provide dampening adjustability and full spring adjustment (preloads, bounce, rebound, etc.). Ride height adjustability is just something that comes with all this. Now however, there are companies that build coilovers for the pure purpose of lowering the ride height of a car.

Not all coilovers have adjustable bound/rebound settings on the dampeners, nor do they all have adjustable preload for their springs.  Its hard to say these tuning-aspects are "points" of a coilover, when not all coilovers have one of these capabilities, if any (other than ride height).  The ability to adjust the dampening is a result of having an adjustable dampner, not a result of having a coilover.  Mind you most coilovers have adjustable dampeners, but this is typically because its desirable to be able to adjust the dampening in a car you want to set up to drive like you like (or because its mad jay dee em tyte hellaz flush koolade- or whatever kids say these days), but that said not all coilovers have adjustable dampening.  Plenty of guys run around with single set, non adjustable, revalved to their liking shocks.

Similarly the ability to adjust preload isnt the result of having a coilover.  Its the result of having a strut with a threaded shock housing and separate locking plates that allow you to clamp down the springs and set/adjust preload on them.  Not all coilovers have this capability- But are still coilovers.  A "coilover", for anyone that i've ever talked to in my years of dealing with and modifying cars professionally, is just a term applied to a device that has an adjustable perch of sorts for the spring that allows you to adjust the ride height of the car.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.  Sure some have more bells and whistles, but in the end, to my knowledge, the point of a "coilover" itself is in the end, to adjust ride height.

But again, I readily admit that im just being anal on the topic.  Edited by Sideways

post-5024-0-91747700-1366824881_thumb.jpg

Here's a pic of Goldie, but I don't know how that helps you...

"ride height" is gonna depend on more than your set of coilovers.  You need to tuck wheels and tires in there.

This car has 225/50 16's - my Son has told be the size and offset of these Rota Grid wheels about 200 times - I just never remember  (I know they're 16's, just not the width and offset...  Offset here would be sorta important to know.)  The lip on the wheel arches front and back have been folded back ("fender rolled" - not with a fender roller but the result is basically the same).

The frame in the center of the car is about 4.25" off the ground and it's fairly level.  I have about another 1.5 (maybe 2) inches of drop left in the coilover.  (I'll never use it, I think this is too low...)  Maybe that helps.

---------

Mack says the spring rates on this kit are 6K front 5K rear (that's about 335# in the front, right?).  I didn't really understand the OP's "bouncy" description - that's not how I'd describe mine at all.  I like the feel - quite firm but not too harsh - I'm old and drive it every day.

Edited by cgsheen

attachicon.gifGoldie.jpg

Here's a pic of Goldie, but I don't know how that helps you...

"ride height" is gonna depend on more than your set of coilovers.  You need to tuck wheels and tires in there.

This car has 225/50 16's - my Son has told be the size and offset of these Rota Grid wheels about 200 times - I just never remember  (I know they're 16's, just not the width and offset...  Offset here would be sorta important to know.)  The lip on the wheel arches front and back have been folded back ("fender rolled" - not with a fender roller but the result is basically the same).

The frame in the center of the car is about 4.25" off the ground and it's fairly level.  I have about another 1.5 (maybe 2) inches of drop left in the coilover.  (I'll never use it, I think this is too low...)  Maybe that helps.

---------

Mack says the spring rates on this kit are 6K front 5K rear (that's about 335# in the front, right?).  I didn't really understand the OP's "bouncy" description - that's not how I'd describe mine at all.  I like the feel - quite firm but not too harsh - I'm old and drive it every day.

When I said bouncy I was referring to the valving not the spring rates

I am in the process of installing the McKinney kit in a 280Z. I noticed that the pillow ball joints are very stiff and that the front springs actually rotate on the spring perch instead of rotating the pillow ball. Is this normal ?

I noticed this on mine as well, the entire assembly rotated at first, but after a few hundred the miles the springs are spinning on the perches on the fronts only

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking at getting similar adapter sleeves made up from a local guy and just want to clarify the dimensions with someone. if they wouldn't mind measuring :)

What is the length of the adapter?

Length of the non threaded part inside?

Its for a 240Z struts so 2" OD

I now need to find out the coilover body diameter and thread pitch of the coilovers i plan to fit and have the top part of the adapter made to that size?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Sure some have more bells and whistles, but in the end, to my knowledge, the point of a "coilover" itself is in the end, to adjust ride height.

But again, I readily admit that im just being anal on the topic.

Not to be a dick here. Ha. But if we're getting super anal then a coilover is "coil spring over strut" so technically coilovers by definition aren't height adjustable at all. Just the association with coilovers we add with height adjustability by common terms. But you are right about the dampening; don't see too many coils out there that don't offer this though I must admit. But you are correct.

I know they aren't the Mckinney kit, but one of my local S30 buddies had some D2's custom built for his S30 and in the process of getting the tubes welded on for the coils, the shop welded the front tubes on the back and the back tubes on the front. Long story short he is pissed.

Edited by R3VO 3VOM

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just to replay to John Coffey  

95% of all coilover kits and cartriges  regardless of the name on them are made by BC engineering the same people that make Megans.  So quality is there if you want it..  Proper set up on any coil over  car is very important  on how it works or not,  as I sure you are aware,  so the  kit get the blame for many problems that are ""owner"" induced.  All  coil overs kit should be set up by someone that know suppensions and can  get the  car working to the best it can based on what there..

Sorry you do not like them, but that ok you do not need to.....Just trying to provide a option there there are not many.....

Thanks for you input..

Our  Megan/'McKinney coil overs are BC engineering,   imported by Megan racing for us.  There are NO  S13 parts on our kit  the Shock is a different length and different dampaning than the 240sx and springs are different  KG....

Edited by fast-datsun

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...