HybridZ

'82 ZX dies after a few miles...

Weltall

Check the valve train before you jump to conclusions.  You might just need to adjust the lash.  I dunno if you could skip a tooth on the timing chain doing that ...

I'm going to pull the valve cover this weekend and have a look. I plan on buying another head anyway, spares are always nice. Might as well polish everything while I'm at it.

• 4 weeks later...

Got it fixed today. My valves were way out of spec, and I lost the retaining spring, the rocker and the shim off of #4 intake valve. Got it all put back together and adjusted. Runs smooth, valve train is quiet... I also put in a new ignition module. Good stuff!

Thanks to everyone for the support!

Edited by Weltall

Regarding this engine control module, can a bad one cause the car not to start at all? I'm in the process of trying to figure out why my Z isn't getting spark. Thanks

Ignition module controls ignition system like spark . Engine control module ( ECM ) control fuel like injectors . If you have no spark check your ignition system per FSM .

New belts are on as of yesterday morning. Took it for a test drive and blew a heater core line right where it comes out of the block. I swear, I'm going to have a brand new car by the time its done breaking. I think I'm just going to block it off, the climate control doesn't work anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

Honestly, with these cars that's how it goes unless you preemptively take care of everything that looks like it could be old...

So far I tackled Alt, Hoses, Belts, water pump, battery, radiator (got a really cool 3 row aluminum for freeeeeeeeee) etc. even though the only things that actually went bad were alt/batt and water pump.

I just replaced the FI hose on the injectors this last week (Even made a youtube video! :P) because the old hose had bad rot, and it was only a matter of time before something left me with an engine fire...