HybridZ

Using rb26 awd tranny in rwd application

///M3 & Z

I have been searching for an rb25 rwd tranny locally (in canada) to use in my rb26 240z swap and have found nothing but rediculiously high prices, one guy quoted me $1800 for just tranny lol. There are currently a few trannys on ebay for about $700 + probably $200 shipping that i could buy but its also a bit high.

There is a local guy out here that Iv been talking to that says he could take my awd tranny and cut off the transfer case and weld it up to make it a rwd only application for $250. I did a bit of research and it seems like its been done before and works. Would like to ask you guys if once the transfer case is cut off are there any major differences in this tranny and the rb25 one, specificly in size, weight and length? I bought a complete car to get the engine from and Iv test drove it many times down the back alley lol, and the tranny shifts properly so atleast i know everything is already working. Are there any reasons why i shouldn't go this route that i havnt thought of?

I have a better idea. I'm driving an RB30 block to vancouver in the coming weeks.
I have a R30A transmission from a Z31. It is missing the bellhousing. I can bring that to you if you're willing to buy it.

You would just have to take the bellhousing from your RB26 and put it on the Z31 gear casing without all this fancy welding business.
it is nearly identical to the RB25 transmission. I believe the only differences between the Z31 VG30 and RB25 transmissions were the bell housings.

PM me if you're interested. Transmission shifted pretty good before I took the bell housing off to sell it to someone who needed it.

Use the bellhousing off your AWD tranny and bolt it up to any 90-96 300zx 5 speed tranny. This has been documented well on the site and its what I run in my car.

Tremec with an adaptor? Sounds pricey to me!

Dont use the AWD transmission.... 

BTW, what color is your car? where do you live in the lower mainland?

Edited by 240zdan

I have a better idea. I'm driving an RB30 block to vancouver in the coming weeks.

I have a R30A transmission from a Z31. It is missing the bellhousing. I can bring that to you if you're willing to buy it.

You would just have to take the bellhousing from your RB26 and put it on the Z31 gear casing without all this fancy welding business.

it is nearly identical to the RB25 transmission. I believe the only differences between the Z31 VG30 and RB25 transmissions were the bell housings.

PM me if you're interested. Transmission shifted pretty good before I took the bell housing off to sell it to someone who needed it.

pm'd.

I wish i was in toronto how much did you pay for the engine?? Here in quebec we can pay 4000$ for the rb26 with rb25 tranny and the engne needs rebuild this is really annoying!!

Hey im actually in vancouver, i bought a whole running gtr for just over $2000.

Buy a tremec, there is a company making bellhousings now.

approx how much do they cost?

Use the bellhousing off your AWD tranny and bolt it up to any 90-96 300zx 5 speed tranny. This has been documented well on the site and its what I run in my car.

Tremec with an adaptor? Sounds pricey to me!

Dont use the AWD transmission.... 

BTW, what color is your car? where do you live in the lower mainland?

Hey my car is a red 72 240z. Im still in the process of putting things together so i havn't driven it yet. I live in vancouver but the car is at my shop in burnaby. Are you running an rb? if so would be great to meet up some time so i could ask you a few questions :) .

I looked on ebay for 300zx trans, the price is basicly the same as an rb25 unit so if going that route i may as well get a 25 trans. Is there actually any negative aspect of using the 26 trans other than a bit of extra weight and length?

yeah that alone is a huge negative aspect.

Just all some wreckers or post wanted ads on craigslist, i picked up my trans for $250.

Or buy careless's transmission.

yes im running an rb, white 240z with cage, all original body work.

Yes considerably I got a RB26 tranny for 90$ and a Z32 tranny for 200$. I had to get the RB26 because my engone didnt get one with my engine. BTW i paid 5800$ shipped and i had a running engine form a car and it was rebuild and had some goodies.