HybridZ

need to pull the head

AZGhost623

some more woes, and Im super angry at the shop my car was at more than ever now. Previously some how "bad gas" got into the car while outside of my care, and gummed up some valves that caused the rockers to fall off. Noticed #5 was real slow going up and down when we got the rocker reattached, but eventually started working right after I played with it a bit. Got that fixed a while ago and have been working on getting my DCOE's running right but something has been very odd. To the advice of a friend of mine, I compression checked the engine and got the following values:

#1=200 psi
#2=160 psi
#3=210 psi
#4=190 psi
#5=0 psi
#6=205psi

With some shop air, further testing has lead me to believe bent intake valves on #2 and #5.

Have never pulled the head before on a Z. I have heard that the main thing to worry about is the timing chain tensioner. Do I just stuff a bunch of rags down there to keep tension so I can pull the head? I plan on finding TDC before the head is pulled and then mark everything on the cam sprocket and timing chain so I can line everything back up properly after it comes back from a shop.

What's the best advice you can give me on this project, am I on the right track?

I'd go with bent valves on 5, and mal-adjusted valves on 2. You use the Nissan-Approved Block Of Wood to wedge the timing chain tensioner; or the tool for the job, Powerbuilt makes one.

Don't forget the two 10mm bolts at the front of the head, going into the timing cover, That'll ruin your whole day.

I did check the valve settings and this is what I came up with which are all wrong. They were all set right when we had done the rocker fix the first time.

valve settings:

#1= I .008 / E .008
#2= I .009 / E .009
#3= I .009 / E .008
#4= I .009 / E .008
#5= I .008 / E .012
#6= I .008 / E .008

Ive seen the block of wood in youtube videos... Found the tool on amazon for 6$ I need to increase my specialty tools :)

Edited by AZGhost623