HybridZ

Getting LS2 240z ready to go to track

I got the leaking brake caliper and it's associated hard and flexible brake lines replaced, bled and test driven.  Pulled back into garage and I see no leaks.  Went to be sure reservoirs are topped off and what do I see?  Paint peeling on the vacuum booster around where the master cylinder bolts on.  Pedal is good.  Gonna pay attention to fluid levels in reservoirs and race anyway.  I wish all the old peripheral (but important) stuff on my car were as good as my powerplant!  CF stub axle swap is done; slicks are mounted.

Headed to Memphis to race 1/4-mile Friday and Saturday.  Expecting to get rained out at least one of those nights, but I'm not giving up.  Somebody come join me!

Edited by RebekahsZ

It is a junkyard motor with 18k miles. I think it is stock except for an under drive pulley and removal of air conditioning and power steering pump. I just stuck it in the car and changed the oil. It even has the junkyard spark plugs in it - haven't even removed them or gapped them. Last trip to 1/4-mile strip I went 11.0-something in the heat of the summer and I'd just had 3 hamburgers. I figure a cool night, a good crap, no hamburgers, remove the spare tire and run less gas in the tank and I'm there. With the leaky master cylinder, I'm actually more worried about stopping! The boys think my car must be pretty light - I'm considering making up some ludicrous weight to tell them, just to piss them off! There's lots of cars faster than that every time I go to the track, so it is no big deal. Sure is a lot of fun when it comes together.

Sounds like your motor is pretty healthy still, 11.00's is no joke for bone stock. Stay away from the burgers and hit up the exlax and your good to go 10.9X's...LOL  Good luck and keep us posted on the times you run. I cannot wait to see how my heap will run one day. So are the junk yard plugs the ac delco iridiums, that's what was in mine.  My L76 is a LKQ pull out with less that 60K on her, I just tore her down to the short block, checked bearings, slapped her back together with a slight port job on the exhaust side of the LS3 heads, deleted the dod and added a cam, lifters, pushrods and valve springs.

Thinking of buying a set of the group buy long tubes and making them work!

Good Luck,

Mike

Got to track under heavy clouds but no rain. Arrived 3 hours before scheduled event. While talking to track owner the skies opened (buckets) and he cancelled until Sunday. Gonna pull thru on Sunday before heading home and see if I can run. From the looks of things this is a strict track, so I may not be allowed to run, but we will see. Hitting the sack to be up early to head to autocross ( they run in the rain).

The autocross in the driving rain without wiper or defrost was a blast. Had to keep the windows down for defrost-ish and there is about an inch of water in the bottom of the car. I must have needed the ballast because I got faster as the day went on. Lots of guys gave up with the rain, so I was hot lapping the course. What a blast. Tomorrow is race day and what pulled up in trailer parking as we were loading up? A 1900 pound 76 280z with a 350z motor complete with two national champion drivers. So, I'm ditching on the drag racing tomorrow (scared off by the big signs for tech inspection) and coming back to the autocross. So far, the only evaluation I've gotten of my car from the several guys who have driven it is: very good turn-in (whatever that is) and poor compression decel. Anybody know how to tune that out? Instead of decelling abruptly on throttle lift, the car just continues to coast until the driver applies the brakes. That was the negative comment. Got to drive a lightly modified 240z with Star-spec Dunlops. On spite of having to use my arms to both steer and stay on my seat (stock seats) I was 3 seconds faster than I was in my brutish machine. The owner of that z scared himself pretty bad when he spun my car, which only made me laugh my ask off! It is really fun getting to watch other folks drive the car. More tomorrow.

I just got a 78 Z and I want to LS it and trying to figure out which engine to look for. What is your LS2 out of and did you have to change the oil pan or anything else and did the JCI stuff work with it? Those star specs are really grippy tires. I put them on my Sunbeam that I autocrossed a few times and they made a huge difference. They will definitely go onto the Z too.

Click on my screen name and that will take you to my profile. Click on content and you should find a long build thread in the member projects section that starts as something like Mentor Wanted for LS swap. All you need can be found there, successes and mistakes alike.

Videos of autocross on the cheapest Khumos I could find. Whole course in 2d gear. Experienced first episodes of wheel hop on launch, so launched easy. Two "straight-aways" saw the rev limiter. Cable-X speedometer is installed but not programmed. Please overlook the late braking and bad driving. It is interesting that I am closer to the cones on my blind side. We did the same course the day before in a driving rain. Looks like I have room for some wider wheels/tires. I was the slowest Z-car there due to driver and non-sticky rubber. What a blast! The final video (right side #2) was the fastest in spite of the brake lock-up - the rest of the course I ran clean and was flying'; it was .5 seconds faster even with all that lost time screwing around getting back straightened out. Looking for some used 245/45/16 Hoosier A6s!