HybridZ

Super Scary trans lock up!!!

280zex

So I'm sitting at a stop light, left turn, 2 lanes. Car in neutral, push in clutch and try to put into first gear but shifter feels gritty and chunky not smooth. Ok I leave the light and in the middle of my left turn I hear a loud pop from the trans and I'm now in a low speed drift (just started raining) Panic e-brake jab to finish 180 drift and now looking down the nose of a lifted Ford F350. cram car into reverse dump clutch and punch throttle, jerk wheel hard left and snap spin car into 180, cram 2nd gear and punch throttle to avoid far passenger side car collision.

So I then shift 3rd, 4th, then 5th. The shifter spits back at my hand real damn hard so I shove back and all is ok. NOT. 5th gear slips out again with a soft pop, so I go for 5th gear. Its gone. Shift to 4th, test throttle (car still going 60mph) feels ok but now there is a whiney noise from trans.

Drive 15 miles then I take freeway exit 2 miles from home. Sitting at the light with clutch pushed in and trans in neutral I hear/feel nasty bearing whine and clunk. I try first gear, no go. Try 2nd gear, it works. Now I try 3rd and it works. I have to stop 1 more time before my drive way and don't ya know, the trans stays stuck in 3rd!!!

I nurse the super grabby clutch and coax the car home, trans stuck in 3rd. Park the car, turn off engine and try to shift into neutral. I finally yank real hard on the shifter to get into neutral and that's where it sits now.

So it looks like its time to do the 240sx trans swap, and get some new boxer shorts because the ones I'm wearing got used ;-(

That is a pretty serious implosion there. The worst I've had one blow is under full boost (330ft-lbs) in the thrid gear, a loud bang, and then a bucket of bolts sound. That pretty much destroyed the internals. We used the bell housing to fix a different 5-speed that had the clutch go at 120MPH on the dyno, blowing a hole in the side.

Use the bell housing for your 240SX swap. The rest is probably junk.

Pete

I had several different transmissions lined up. Unfortunately most were junk. Seattlejester found a 240sx unit for me tho and I picked it up for 225$. I dont realy know how manual transmissions work, but I can do the swap with little issues (thanks to HBZ).

I'm realy curious as to what my broken trans looks like internaly. I will be taking pictures for sure!!

Ok so the nightmare continues. I'm having a hell of a hard time finding a machine shop around the Seattle area that can handle the job of mod'ing the L28 bell housing to except the 240sx gear box. Most shops here will not even talk to me when I mention car parts machining.

The bell housing is at a custom hot rod shop (last ditch effort) right now and I'm waiting to see if they can do what I need (probibly not).

The 240sx box is being checked out at a local trans shop. The guys there think that its in good shape, but I wanted an overhaul anyways.

If the hot rod shop cant do the job I need XNKE has offered his help (thanks dude).

I realy can't believe that none of the shops around here, that I talked to, can do the job. I mean if I had access to a lathe I could do it!!

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Wow sounds like a fair ordeal! Glad you nabbed the box :). I used buds machine shop in tacoma for some machine work and they had me sorted out in a few days. It really is sad though, most of the shops around here are more oriented towards bolting things up.

Wow sounds like a fair ordeal! Glad you nabbed the box :). I used buds machine shop in tacoma for some machine work and they had me sorted out in a few days. It really is sad though, most of the shops around here are more oriented towards bolting things up.

Buds is unable to handle the job, more like unwilling. MOST of the shops I called will not do automotive machining, "we don't have insurance for that." BS!!!!

Ok so I had a bit of luck. I did find a shop that the machinest said he can handle the job, but I gota go talk with him and make sure we are on the same page as far as the modifications go.

If he can do the job I will let ya'all know the shop and the price, for those in the Seattle area looking at doing the 240sx trans swap..

You  could have also opted to ship it to Socal. There are a few local shops that have seen this and are willing to do it. 

Thats just the thing, I don't realy know the shops there and I'm not just willing to ship off a part for this type of work (unless its a HBZ person). I would have thought there is a shop in my neck of the woods that can do what I need.

It would be nice if there is more HBZ shops around here. There is ONE, and they do nice work. However the owner was not aware of the 240sx swap, nor was he willing to help (didnt think it would work, even after seeing the HBZ info).

This type of work is not complicated, nor does it warrent a shop to charge 500$. I mean hey charge what you want, but I don't think people are going to do business with you charging gold plating prices for regular work!!

Looks like I need to make friends with somebody (local) that has a lathe!!

The part that makes a machinist nervous, or cause a high quote, is cutting the hole for the bigger 240SX bearing.  If you swap bearings instead, the rest is low precision work that nobody should balk at.

The part that makes a machinist nervous, or cause a high quote, is cutting the hole for the bigger 240SX bearing.  If you swap bearings instead, the rest is low precision work that nobody should balk at.

Exactly and this is why I had to go talk with the machinist. This mod is the point of no return, unless you have another transmission. I had the machinist read the web page that has all the info and pictures.

"its not a problem, we just need to know that you can't change things back after this mod is done." is what dude is telling me.

Yes I know what's going on. Yes I understand the information on this web page I had you read. IF you would let me use your lathe I could do the mods required. THAT really caught the machinist off guard!! So the guy called me on it and really started asking me about the process, and the measurements. I used his mics and calipers, took some measurements, crunched the numbers, and explained how I needed the "cuts" done. After that, everybody was satisfied and the work I needed was done. Now the parts are at the trans shop, and they are going thru the gearbox replacing all the bearings and any syncros that may be bad. The cost for the machine work was 100$

I told the guys that there might be others around the local area that would need the same thing done. They declined. They don't really do a lot of work on import cars, nor do they want to. Funny thing is that I get most of my small parts from them!!

More delays ;-(

I called the trans shop today, and the guy just ordered replacement parts. So I have to wait another week. IF I had the tools I could have had this done already.

ya ya I know have patience, but really 2.5 weeks to rebuild a 240sx trans, really?????

I still have to mod the cross member, and have the drive shaft cut down. Cant really do that until I get the gear box back into the car.

Note to self: when you have the opportunity to buy tools, BUY THEM!!

I bored out the bearing hole myself on a mill at work with next to no training and only a few hours practice on some other parts. This should be a piece of cake for any experienced machinist!

I still have to mod the cross member, and have the drive shaft cut down. Cant really do that until I get the gear box back into the car.

Note to self: when you have the opportunity to buy tools, BUY THEM!!

You don't need the gear box in the car to mod the cross member or shorten the driveshaft. All the dimensions needed are documented in my very detailed 240SX swap guide:

http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1973-datsun-240z-11118/car-pictures/240sx-transmission-swap-14041

Nigel

I bored out the bearing hole myself on a mill at work with next to no training and only a few hours practice on some other parts. This should be a piece of cake for any experienced machinist!

You don't need the gear box in the car to mod the cross member or shorten the driveshaft. All the dimensions needed are documented in my very detailed 240SX swap guide:

http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1973-datsun-240z-11118/car-pictures/240sx-transmission-swap-14041

Nigel

Yup I know your write up. I even used your info to show the shop how things need to be done. So far this is going to cost me 1200$. christ I can do this, but I have no access to tools. I'm really pissed how shops are telling me that this is some uber complicated process!!! BS!!!! damn easy says I. I do not like relying on other shops for these mods, however I lack tools, major bummer!!!  :-(

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got a call from the trans shop and my new gear box "should be" done this afternoon. Hey its only been a month for a rebuild AND 2x the original price quote ;-( 

I seriously need to learn how to rebuild my transmission.......

I destroyed a 1 year rebuild old t-5 had BRAND new counter shaft, (hard to find new?) input, out put, bulk rings, snycro's the whole thing was rebuild about a year ago. So I was shifting from 1st to second (not hard) I go into second and it goes into 4th gear and completely RIPS 4th gear counter and input gear apart! no gears except 4th (since 4th is direct drive).

I broke another T-5 not so long ago but I thing that was because of low oil. And another on my last Z31, going into 3rd lost all gears except 2nd, and 5th. Drove home like that and while pulling into the drive way the t-5 jumped into 3rd and locked my gear box.

I moved onto a 71C from, you should too, N/A Z31's come with the, RB20's SR's, KA's and CA18DEt's come with them too.

What had happened what the hub springs on the 4th gear collapsed and it was able to slip into gear.

960031_472211086190002_812520400_n.jpg

Edited by New 2 z

False alarm, the trans shop called and they are unable to clearance the 280z bell housing to fit the larger countershaft bearing and  gear.

So it looks like im s.o.l.............................................................;-(

They only enlarged the shift rod hole?  Weak.

Swap bearings and do the clearancing yourself.

thats the plan. "oh ya by the way no warranty on the work done, fix it your self if your that smart" was the answer from my friend the shop owner. its taken them 6 weeks and I still dont have a working transmission.

Lesson learned = friends and $$ just dont mix........

And no they didnt re-size the shift rod hole to the correct size, I had to go into the shop and do that this morning MYSELF. Thats when the ass chewing started................

Edited by 280zex