HybridZ

RB CAS Adapter for an L engine?

cheftrd

Quick search shows nothing for an adapter to put an RB CAS on an L engine turbo distributor. Pretty simple, but before I machine one from scratch, I was hoping someone might know of some place selling them. it's a pretty common mod here in Japan, but they're all custom built...

Cheers.

Sort of.  Smaller optical disc, and the 4 pins come out the side (exit in the same plane), not the bottom (not at a 90 degree angle to the circuit board as the L28ET module does).  

There has to be a better way to use one of these on an L28ET other than milling a spacer and modifying the end of the spindle so you can bolt a cam angle sensor (from a J30, or an RB or a VQ) in it's entirety onto the L28.  (or is there - and I just missed it...)

Why would there have to be a better way? It's a completely different motor. I have a feeling the L series splined drive is bigger than the RB one, I'll have a look next time I'm in the garage, I've got an RB CAS in pieces somewhere. I have a feeling the RB CAS will spin the opposite way as well but I don't think that will matter in the chopper wheel is symmetrical.

I'm pretty sure the output signals are the same between the two (if you use a VG30 chopper wheel) so as far as I can see the only reason to use an RB one is because it's smaller? And possibly because L series optical dizzys are getting old.

Why would there have to be a better way? It's a completely different motor. I have a feeling the L series splined drive is bigger than the RB one, I'll have a look next time I'm in the garage, I've got an RB CAS in pieces somewhere. I have a feeling the RB CAS will spin the opposite way as well but I don't think that will matter in the chopper wheel is symmetrical.

I'm pretty sure the output signals are the same between the two (if you use a VG30 chopper wheel) so as far as I can see the only reason to use an RB one is because it's smaller? And possibly because L series optical dizzys are getting old.

Old, hard to find, I've had remans not work right out of the box. RB's are free for the asking. Direction does matter, you need to flip the disk.

EDIT: Just in case someone comes across this again, I've edited it to reflect the correct info where the direction does matter. If spun in reverse, the RB window count will show 56 falling edges on the trigger between the first five falling edged of the home window (6X), and then one 80 falling edge signal... That causes all kinds of trouble. With the disk spun in the correct direction (flipped over with a small elongation of the screw holes), there are 6 times 60 falling edges on the 360X signal between home falling edges.

Edited by cheftrd

We build them and have them made , at SCORCHER DISTRIBUTORS IN MELB . 

I've used a Scorcher dual hall sensor dizzy from Performance Ignition on a big block Chevy with Haltech PS2000. Nice piece of gear. Are you talking the adapter, or a whole distributor?

There has to be a better way to use one of these on an L28ET other than milling a spacer and modifying the end of the spindle so you can bolt a cam angle sensor (from a J30, or an RB or a VQ) in it's entirety onto the L28.  (or is there - and I just missed it...)

If you've already got a turbo dizzy, there's this...

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/54-mm-optical-trigger-wheel-for-nissan-l28et-or-vg30e-p-497.html

If not, the ends might not justify the means given that the RB/VG CAS is cheap and readily available.

If you've already got a turbo dizzy, there's this...

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/54-mm-optical-trigger-wheel-for-nissan-l28et-or-vg30e-p-497.html

If not, the ends might not justify the means given that the RB/VG CAS is cheap and readily available.

OK, but I don't use MS and don't ever plan to...  But, I wouldn't mind using the COP engine management from a J30, Z32, or the like (something I could NISTune) on my L28ET.  I need to talk to Bernardd...

attachicon.gifP5030262.JPG

I have done  away with disys now , to get a good chatter free setup i made this

Heh heh heh, "Dodge Style"! Like gluing hall magnets in the flywheel...

Remember guys, "the bigger the disc, the better the resolution"! Higher you go in rpms, big discs pay dividends.

It's nice to have a big disc. Sometimes at higher rpms a smaller disc just won't do (TEC2, for instance.)

Disc reduction is an abomination!

I have a z32 cas installed into a turbo L distributor.  I think they're the same or very similar.  Have to drill a few holes and install a sleeve inside the z32 cas to keep it snug on the shaft.

I think you are mistaken, it is a VE cas, the z32 has a larger sqaure-ish plug like a old AFM plug. IMO the VE cas is a easier mod because the plug is smaller and requires less cutting of the L28et dizzy housing. The cas wheel is identical to to a z32 and provides the same signal.

I have one that is similar and is copied from looking at Bernard's.. LOL

Mine is slightly different, but works the same. I have 350z coils with a aluminum bracket that bolts to the valve cover and allows for a mounting point to hold the coils up.  I think it is a pretty clean looking setup.

Matt,  I have also looked for this kind of adapter in the past.  I eventually went to a crank fire wheel setup.  I have found pics of the CAS distributer on the internet but never a source to purchase.  I have started seeing them now on Yahoo.jp.  If I redo my setup it will be with this adapter and RB CAS.  Go for it, I will buy one from you this summer when I return.

Pic of my L3.1 distributorless system.

motorinstall.jpg[/img]

Pic of my adapter for my FJ20 using a SR CAS.

sradapter.jpg

Edited by greenmonster80