HybridZ

My electronically controlled Holset VGT

I just wanted to bring you up to speed on a project I have been working on this winter. I came across a holset HE351VGT turbo last fall and decided to use it in my 260z project.

The car:

1974 260z that I picked up last summer as a project. I have put a 280zx turbo stock engine (with the exception of the turbo), t6 transmission, R200 rear end, tokiko shocks and springs and a 16 gallon fuel cell...oh not to mention all the body work including fabricating frame rails.

Electronics:

I'm will run megasquirt for fuel, ignition and to control the VGT controller (through the built in boost controller feature).

I built my own BLDC controller to control the vanes of the Holset Turbo. Megasquirt outputs a PWM which is then convert to a vane position using my controller.

I built my own  controller because the one i had from my turbo was damaged by a coolant leak. For that reason, i decided to split my design into two:

1. A board that sits on the turbo with only hall sensors to detect the brushless motor position as well as the vane position.

2. A main external control board that has all the brains to run the motor based on a PWM signal, analog voltage signal or serial communication.

The turbo:

Holset HE351VGT turbo from a dodge that I picked up on ebay.

3" Exhaust all the way back to the muffler.

E-Motor sport external waste gate.

After taking some measurements, i realized the turbo will not fit in the car with an adaptor as it would have hit the steering linkage. With that i mind, i decided to weld on the turbo to the factor manifold ( only time will tell if it holds up).

Present state:

I'm getting the turbo, exhaust and intercooling into the car... (p.s...if i had the money i would pay someone to do my exhaust... this thing is a pita)

The Holset controller is built and bench tested.

-Next will be wiring (lights and megasquit) followed by brakes and running the fuel lines.

wish me luck!!!!!

Enjoy some pictures.

post-2885-0-61470300-1367808397_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-92779800-1367808436_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-46870800-1367808466_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-45946300-1367808711_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-66878400-1367808776_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-47601800-1367809402_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-11781600-1367809483_thumb.jpg

for a video of the electronic controller doing its thing (I'm presently waiting for my megasquit simulator to come in so i can test it as a complete system).

Edited by kijana

• 2 weeks later...

The electronics might be for sale if there is demand for it but for now its just a project. I kinda fear for my L28 since it stock with about 160K miles on it. The project is coming up will. I have finished the suspension and brakes, megasquirt  and the rest of the car is all wired up. Im now waiting for my fuel pump to come in so i can get the car running and debugged.

I should be up and running by the end of this week.

I'd be interested pending price, and successful integration with MS. I've been looking for an HY35W, after coming to the conclusion there was no affordable way to control the VGT type turbos. Leave it to a HybridZ member to lead the way! I'd expect interest not only here, but people from the DSM and other circles to be interested.

I kinda fear for my L28 since it stock with about 160K miles on it.

Totally justified, it will only hold around 450-475hp with that many miles on it...

At least as an unknown "it ran" junkyard pullout.

Sorry guys for the silence. Its getting harder to find time for the car now that the weather has finally broken and the family wants to spend time outside riding bikes or camping on weekends.

Cool project, where in NY are you?

Letitsnow: I just moved from Binghamton and forgot to update my location...im now located in MD (silver spring). let it snow....perfect name for upstate NY.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that I have the car idling and successfully integrated my holster VGT electronics with megasquirt. There are a few things I still have to iron out before I can drive the car.

1. Despite having a new oil pump, my pressure starts off at 60 psi when the car is cold but it drops down to nearly 5 psi when the car is fully warmed up (someone please let me know if this is normal)

2. My temps are rising quite quickly when idling. I can get up to 180C (fan set to start running when car reaches 170C) In roughly 10 minutes and stays there...fan is always on (im guessing I will need a new radiator)

3. I might have to relocate my Blowoff valve because it is hitting the hood (slightly) which causes the IC piping to touch the water pump pulley ( I check to ensure this is not the cause of my heating issues by opening the hood and letting the car idle)

4. Get the factory Tach working (right now im depending on Megasquirt).

Back to the VGT.... Im loving the away I can change the exhaust tone by opening of closing the VGT...fully closed and you could barely hear the car...open it and it tone deepens.

Anyway...Here are some more pics. I'll post a video of the car idling or running this weekend.

post-2885-0-80199700-1369965708_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-91055800-1369965712_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-60413200-1369965716_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-08879900-1369965720_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-86536500-1369965723_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-72442100-1369965728_thumb.jpg

Edited by kijana

Care to elaborate on your control scheme a little bit? Are you using a feedback loop to control the position of the vanes using the stepper and the hall effect, then using the MS PWM signal as the desired position? Did you build your own board to go in the controller box, or have you just hijacked the motor and sensors off the original controller?

Below is a schematic of how the system works:

post-2885-0-58275300-1370182819_thumb.png

Please refer to the video link in post 1.

I built the electronics myself. The holsets VGT's utilize a BLDC to turn the vanes (through a gear box). My electronics comprise of two boards.

1. My main control board that houses all the electronics needed to control the BLDC motor (both drive it and monitor its position), communicate to a PC, convert PWM signals from megasquirt or any other boost controller to VGT position, monitor temperatures, motor speed, it can also be controlled with a simple potentiometer (voltage control)

2. A board that attaches to the Turbo itself. It contains hall sensors for motor position.

To summarize, Im using megasquirt to set the desired VGT position based on RPM using the inbuilt Solenoid control in megasquirt. eg. at 2000RPM open the VGT 30%. My electronics then use the signal from megasquirt and ensure the VGT opens to 30% and stays there unit commanded to change.

Please note that I haven't driven the car yet so things might change once I get up and running...but from what I can tell right now just idling, the system seems to be working quite well...very fast and responsive.

Below is a schematic of how the system works:

attachicon.gifVGT control Schematic.PNG

Please refer to the video link in post 1.

I built the electronics myself. The holsets VGT's utilize a BLDC to turn the vanes (through a gear box). My electronics comprise of two boards.

1. My main control board that houses all the electronics needed to control the BLDC motor (both drive it and monitor its position), communicate to a PC, convert PWM signals from megasquirt or any other boost controller to VGT position, monitor temperatures, motor speed, it can also be controlled with a simple potentiometer (voltage control)

2. A board that attaches to the Turbo itself. It contains hall sensors for motor position.

To summarize, Im using megasquirt to set the desired VGT position based on RPM using the inbuilt Solenoid control in megasquirt. eg. at 2000RPM open the VGT 30%. My electronics then use the signal from megasquirt and ensure the VGT opens to 30% and stays there unit commanded to change.

Please note that I haven't driven the car yet so things might change once I get up and running...but from what I can tell right now just idling, the system seems to be working quite well...very fast and responsive.

You deserve a Big Atta Boy.  It is very heartening to see that someone has the courage to make these systems work together on their own.  Cannot say enough good words about your work and the experience you will have gained by at least trying to make it work for you.  Hope that you can sell the system to others and gain back some of your investment.  Keep up the GOOD work.

You deserve a Big Atta Boy.  It is very heartening to see that someone has the courage to make these systems work together on their own.  Cannot say enough good words about your work and the experience you will have gained by at least trying to make it work for you.  Hope that you can sell the system to others and gain back some of your investment.  Keep up the GOOD work.

+1,

You might consider selling these (or the design) to DIYAutotune.

• 10 months later...