HybridZ

LT or LS

After debating I decided to get opinions from people who have done or know about the swap

Which would be best in a 240z LT or LS

Cost

Fab required and any kits available

Easiest

Best overall performance

Weight/hp ratio

I have a modified LT1 in my 280Z and love it. The LT1 will be cheaper to do than an LS. I believe the kits are cheaper, got mine form JTR. The down side of the LT1 is the availability of upgrades. There just isn't much out there. The LT1 was only made for 4 years. The LS series is a much better, more efficient and more reliable engine, but you pay for that. At the time I did mine the LS1 was twice the price of a LT1 just for the engine, that is not true any more because of the available sources for the LS engines. Although I love my car and the conversion is awesome if I were going to do it all over again I would go LS.

Thats what I was thinking I just wanted to get other opinions just in case there was something better or worse that I didn't know

My other question would be what all do I need to do after I get the engine to make the car driveable transmission etc

Ls for the win. You can get cheap 5.3s or 4.8s. I got my 5.7 from a wrecked camaro. If you can get a whole car that was say rear ended. You would be set. Keep the essential swap parts and part out the rest of the car. Also read a few build threads. That will get the gears turning!

• 2 weeks later...

If your looking for a donor car, you can try searching around Coparts for certain models if you are near one. Good way of looking for an entire car especially if looking for just parts. Just remember you need to bid and find a way to haul it if you do win (or negotiate with the insurance company).

I used to own a 1994 Buick Roadmaster with a LT-1.  At 100,000 miles it still passed emissions wherein they could not even detect any emissions.  It got 24 MPG at 80 MPH on the road.  The design of the LT-1 and LT-4 is far superior to any thing else.  The reverse flow cooling with the cylinder heads getting cooled first then the block, is second to none in design.  At 100,000 plus miles I replaced the Optispark distributor with a MSD unit, replaced the spark plugs and wires.  Found out the real problem was the electric fuel pump wherein there was a DESIGN fault and bypassing fuel from the pump back into the tank right at the pump in the tank.  Altered the design by putting a fixed hose and clamps between the pump and the outlet and the problem was GONE.  Passed on the Car to our son and granddaughter and they are still driving it without problems.  Cannot say enough praise for the LT-1.  A 383 stroker LT-1 with AFR-195 cylinder heads and a more aggressive camshaft would be absolute DYNAMITE!