HybridZ

Modern Car most like an S30 ?

tfreer85

Okay, so I'm in the process of selling my 72 240z (CL ad: http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/3799631465.html ). I've had a blast driving it, but I need something newer, more reliable, and with AC.

I've been going through the options for replacement cars.  Something that isn't bloated and handles/feels most like a z. Good/cheap aftermarket support is a plus too!

So far I've looked (online only so far) at:

Subaru WRX's

Acura RSX's

BMW Z3's

Audi TT's

BMW M3's

Chrysler Crossfires

Mazda RX-8

Mazda Miata's

My constraints are this:

2000 or newer (only exception is something with under 50k miles)

Manual Transmission

Leather interior preferred

Cheap Maintenance

+20 MPG

Under 70k MANDATORY

RWD Preferred

$10k MAX

Right now if I can find a 2006 or newer Miata MX-5 I would be all over it. One like this:

06.mx-5.26_(400x300).jpg

The Miata's in general seem to be the best option on paper.  I'm trying to avoid a ricer style car. Does anyone recommend anything else? 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a nice CROSSFIRE, with all of your demands, low miles,A/C,6spd, leather,two seat car, for a tad over 10 G;s. Good luck on the hunt and sale, a bit optimistic on getting it done in a short time frame  :icon12:

Hands down, a Honda S2000. To me, it is an evolution of the S30 (MUCH more so than the 350Z) as it's a raw, firm, minimalist sports car designed for just that. It's not a car based on some econo-car chassis but engineered from the beginning to be what it was going to be, a sports car. It impresses the hell out of me because not only does it perform, but it's also reliable and gets decent mpg!

I've had mine for over a year and I've kept a spreadsheet tracking all costs. I've only done basic maintenance and gas, and I'm averaging 28mpg.

S2000. I'm 6'4" and I fit fine; great for road trips. I'm on the thin side, but I have a buddy who is a huskier fellow and he drives one and loves it. He's about 6'.

Great minds think alike! Although I have no idea how you fit in there. I'm 6'2" and I'm looking into getting lower seat rails to be more comfortable and not have to duck down to see traffic lights. This is with an OEM hardtop which already gives me another inch or so of headroom. A "wider" person will have trouble fitting the bolstered seats and getting in and out can be difficult. With that said, it's a small sacrifice (for me) to make for such a fantastic car!

FRS is nice, but if you're looking to not pay too much depreciation finding one a year old already and for sale will be difficult, and will still drop a bit in value over the next 3 years. And no matter what it won't be under 10k....

The miata seems like the clear leader in this catagory, but I feel it's still a LONG ways off from being anything like a vintage Z. Most like a Z built today in the mass production market? Maybe.

Personally I'd look at something older and find a really clean example. You can find a FD under 10k in good shape. The FC is also a killer car for what they go for and they fit an LS1 nicely still :-) But you might not like the idea of a project, and in all reality even though a 20 year old car might have low miles you should still go through the car looking at bushings and such because there's items that will wear over time, not just miles.

I'd scratch the WRX off your list. They're wonderful, but nothing like a Z...

I'd skip the RSX all together and find a Type R if you're going that route...

BMW Z3 feels like a big since it's so heavy for it's size, which leaves you feeling gypped when you drive it.

Audi TT is so bloated it makes me wonder where your head is at :-P get a mustang instead if you're considering something in this weight range...

The crossfire was a good idea, that never caught on thus the car never really got refined the way it deserved

The RX8 is a great car that has that magical mazda feel when it comes to cornering, but it still feels like a 4 door to me when I drive them. If you can get around that sedan-ness the car has it's a wonderful all around performer that's hard to ignore.

It's a bit out of your budget but the genesis coupe is hard to ignore. It's a well equipped car for not much money and definitely has enough power to be fun. Many note that hyundai's cars still lack something in the character department, but I can make comparisons to MANY cars people buy that I feel the same about...

The S2000 is a great car, but I still feel they're overpriced, even in the used market. I'll probably never personally own a S2000 for that reason, as the fanboys will never let prices come down into the real world.

Another interesting older car in that price range is the MR2. Definitely "different" but I'd say it's more like the S30 than the WRX or RSX... Getting hard to find those really clean examples though that are really worth paying the premium for a low mileage older car.

Also, if you're willing to forgive some weight like you are with the Audi, look at the RWD lexus cars, like the IS and the SC, both of which are great cars for modifying and come with wonderful powerplant options. No manual for the V8, but the auto isn't terrible if you don't abuse it, and the other option is the 2JZ, which you can't really complain about as a bad option either....

The funny thing is that I see people looking for pretty much this same exact fantasy quite often, but there really just isn't a great replacement for a vintage RWD car like the S30, which has more character (in my humble opinion) in just it's bumper than most modern cars in their entire lineup. Cars are made for the average idiot these days that just wants a car to go from A to B in the most comfortable and fashionable way possible. They're also made to the most ridiculous safety standards that force designers to work around extremely limiting structures. If you want an old car, buy an old car.

/rant off. :-D 

^^^ That is so true, an early Z has so much "persona'', those sexy European feline lines, that are today admired as they did back in the day,  a true vintage GT. Be it an all original, a semi period mod example, or a full monster with an adapted V8 , nothing can fill that ''PERSONA''  :icon12:

Edited by PLATA

Great feedback so far guys.  I agree the S2000 crossed my mind multiple times, but again its typically fanboyed out over my price range.

The FRS has been compared a lot to having 240z inspiration, but that's a new car, new payment, and out of price range. (though quite nice)

RX's in general great cars for what they can do.  A used rotary worries me (logically or not it just does)

TT's are definitely little piggies & kinda girly, but I figured I would throw it out there.

I have not considered an MR2 yet, might have to research one of those a little.

Older than 2000 just isn't an option really, couldn't sell the wife on it.  I know for a fact that I will never truly be able to get the 240z feeling, especially with my current setup.  It's a blast to drive, but it's gotta go. 

Thanks so far for the advice!! 

Miata is by far the best on that list, as far as overall performer, reliability, and maintenance costs.

I have fun any time I get to drive a z3, but in my experience older German cars are typically expensive to maintain, and questionable reliability. Most of the older crossfires I've seen had several issues and had subpar interior quality. Plus my 240zt smoked a modded srt6 pretty bad, so it lost a few points in my book.

I do like the rsx but it's fwd.

Edited by zeeboost

My vote goes to an S2000. It will be the only Honda CAR I am willing to own.

S2k's can be found for under $10k but they are beat, generally you can find a private party one going for $12k, but with more milage than you are looking for. 

No one mentioned an old 240sx hatch either.  They are partially what lead me into the Datsun world.  I logged 100k miles in a pignose hatch and loved that car.  RWD, fairly cheap.  Just beware they are also part of that "ricer fanboy" culture but i've seen many examples that were executed well with tasteful mods. They have some particular rust issues to be aware of, lower parts of the strut towers, some in the rear quaters, similar to our Z's.   I like the way they handle, they are just not going to be as raw of a car as an S30.  Nothing will replace the S30, in my mind, nothing really comes even remotely close but at least the 240sx borrows some of the lineage.

240SX's are nice, but out of the date range and fall way into the "rice" category (with a few exceptions). 

Zeeboost - Those are the complaints I've heard about older BMW's, expensive to maintain and questionable reliability.  The Crossfires have pretty bad reviews for quality.

I had an 89 240SX hatchback, awesome car, it handled well. It was never comparable to a Z, but I did like the flip up head lights. It was really comfortable to drive, just slow compared to other cars I've had.

Edited by daddydonuts