HybridZ

1jz VVTI 240

devil280Z

So, not much new info to update on the thread.  Doesn't help that I cant do actual work on this project since im 8K miles away from it.  But I am trying to source a stock intake manifold. Maybe one of the JZ guys in this forum might have a spare they are willing to part with.  My plans for funding this project have changed a little bit since the government shut down.  And seeing as how that's where my paycheck comes from I decided to throttle back on the spending for this project and put some comas in my bank account.  Its not a bad idea anyways, I was buying over kill parts anyways. 

Im going to buy a majority of the parts I need in the next month so when I get home they will be waiting for me.  I want to get this done asap after I return home so there will be a ton of updates on this thread come December.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.  I just purchased a Z32 trans since I hear a ton of bad things about the R-154(mostly just shitty shifting).  I found an adaptor plate that comes with a custom flywheel and clutch kit so I don't have much more that I need to buy.  The biggest thing is going to be intercooler and piping!  As soon as I get home in about 3 weeks I will do a huge picture dump. Till then take care guys!

So as some of you have noticed, Beta motorsports is no more.  Now im forced to find or make my own motor mounts.  Do any of you know where I can get one made?  I could probably make one myself at a friends house but I honestly don't feel like taking the time to do it. Let me know.

Thanks,

Ben

JohnC is still on here, and it really isn't that they are no more, the company merged with another to my understanding.

With that said, if he isn't selling them anymore you can make your own pretty easily if you are handy with a pair of scissors, a permanent marker, and some cardboard. Just make sure you have enough clearance for the hood, enough clearance for the steering rack, enough clearance for the hood latch, enough clearance for the transmission and the driveshaft lines up with the differential.

What will you be doing for the transmission mount? Whatever route you choose, you can have the shop/individual who does the transmission mount do the motor mounts at the same time.

Edited by seattlejester

Yes, I talked to some of my more inventive friends and we are going to make one of our own.  Since im using the Z32 trans im not worried about a trans mount.  Since I have their help im not worried about getting It all mounted up. 

Also thanks for responding, was starting to wonder if posting anything in here was a waste of time or not. 

Thanks,

Ben

• 2 months later...

Really? That's great news! Still no pictures I see lol.

So you have figured out the transmission mount and where the motor is going to sit and clearanced the trans tunnel? You are really moving along. I think the trans mounting took up far more time than the engine mounts did.

Do you know what kind of mount you want?

The betamotorsport style crossmember will still require welding. And a competent welder/fabricator you would have to hire, should be able to make up a mount in a couple hours.

Edited by seattlejester

Yes a lot of progress! You are correct, i have promised pictures and have yet to deliver........ First off here is my car post-9288-0-80178600-1390006462_thumb.jpg

This is kind of an old pic, i have an airdam now, rear bumper is gone, unfortunately the wheels are still around. Hopefully not for long though. 

Now for the rest of the goodies

Fuel cell :)

post-9288-0-96512300-1390006487_thumb.jpg

Sexy wire harness

post-9288-0-65919900-1390006682_thumb.jpg

Intercooler, piping, oil cooler and clutch/ flywheel kit.

post-9288-0-89441600-1390006728_thumb.jpg

My motor as i picked it up from the machine shop, looking all clean. Old dirty one in the background.

post-9288-0-57387800-1390006821_thumb.jpg

and now this is how it sits until i find a few more odds and ends....

post-9288-0-34142400-1390006861_thumb.jpg

So i have made some good progress, still have a ways to go though.

As for the motor mounts i have thought of taking it to a local shop but here in Tucson AZ there are not may options im willing to go with.  Hopefully i can talk someone into making some mounts for me before too long so i can make some more headway on this beast!  Also i am aware that i need to weld the new motor mounts to the frame rails of my z, that i have no problem with doing, i just dont feel comfortable making a load bearing piece.  Anyways, thats an update, hope you guys like what you see.

Bah, I didn't read where he decided to go with the Z32 transmission. That actually may make this whole swap a lot easier since you can buy the trans mount from other sources.

My R154 is damn near touching the tabs in the trans tunnel for the stock mounts. Badjuju had to remove his altogether to fit his.

Yay, pictures!

If you have a very detailed drawing (and I mean very detailed, with measurements, angles, and all that jazz) with which style you would like, I'm sure someone may be willing to take a look (cough cough). No promises or anything though.

well yeah, if i had a detailed diagram of the motor mounts i could make my own as well.  Shit i would most definitely make a bunch of copies and sell them to you guys also. Maybe someone on here who has already made their own mounts might still have their breakdown of measurments and would be willing to sell said information. Or maybe the guy who got the $1500 ebay kit would be willing to take a bunch of measurments for us so we can duplicate it.

Careful man, you are suggesting infringing on someone's livelyhood and intellectual property. Making your own is one thing, blatantly copying the design of someone else with plans to sell is another.

It seems you have the capabilities, put the engine up on a crane and take the measurements and pop out your own.

Edited by seattlejester

Careful man, you are suggesting infringing on someone's livelyhood and intellectual property. Making your own is one thing, blatantly copying the design of someone else with plans to sell is another.

It seems you have the capabilities, put the engine up on a crane and take the measurements and pop out your own.

Even if that business is closed down and there now making any more?

Since i cant find an affordable kit and im a little strapped for cash these days.  When i move in to a house next month im going to try and get someone who knows what they are doing to help me fab something up.  If i can get this done does anyone want me to make some copies of what i have?  I am more than willing to make a bunch of extras and sell them to you guys to help move your projects along.  Let me know.