HybridZ

SR20det 280z. first project

Phlatto

Hi guys im so excited to make my first post. My dad, brother and I have just bought a '78 280z for $2000. There's no engine in it but its got mounts for an sr20det we plan to install. Everything else looks pretty good. Already got tokico springs and a nice body. We're thinking about ordering a JDM engine but were open to any suggestions on getting an engine. Im located in San Jose. Any recommendations for a good shop around here we could buy parts or that could help us out? Thanks guys, i'll keep updating this with our progress and pics. Gonna be a fun summer!

photo12.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo31.jpg

If you get a "JDM" engine, it won't be smog legal unless it has been certified for use in passenger vehicles in the USA. You'll have to put in due diligence to perform a smog-legal swap.

I recommend finding a stock engine and wiring harness unless you really know what you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

If you get a "JDM" engine, it won't be smog legal unless it has been certified for use in passenger vehicles in the USA. You'll have to put in due diligence to perform a smog-legal swap.

I recommend finding a stock engine and wiring harness unless you really know what you're doing.

What is the cut off year for smog regulations in Cali? I'm glad we don't have crazyness like that here.

What is the cut off year for smog regulations in Cali? I'm glad we don't have crazyness like that here.

It doesn't matter, you're (technically) not allowed to use an engine that has not been certified for passenger car use within the USA.

It doesn't matter, you're (technically) not allowed to use an engine that has not been certified for passenger car use within the USA.

Yes, but how would they find out? I'm just curious because for instance up here, there is no good reason for them to have any idea what is under your hood if you don't have to pass smog. I guess if you were parked with your hood up and the cop knew that the engine was for a fact not US available they could make the case it isn't DOT approved. Of course, things are pretty strange down there in the dictatorship of Cali  :icon10:

Yes, but how would they find out? I'm just curious because for instance up here, there is no good reason for them to have any idea what is under your hood if you don't have to pass smog. I guess if you were parked with your hood up and the cop knew that the engine was for a fact not US available they could make the case it isn't DOT approved. Of course, things are pretty strange down there in the dictatorship of Cali  :icon10:

If you get cited for something smog related (e.g. blowing smoke out the tail pipe) you'll be sent to the referee, who will check you off once the issue is taken care of. The referee will know if the engine is non-USA, let alone if it's been swapped and not BAR'd.

However, 1975 and older vehicles are exempt from biannual smog testing so people get away with it (until they do something stupid and get sent to the ref).

Wow, I'm extremely glad I don't live in that dictatorship lol. That explains why so many people are moving out and moving up here.

Yeah, we get it. "Dictatorship..."

Please keep your political thoughts to yourself, at least at HybridZ (it's in the rules, after-all). I'm perfectly happy living where I live. Now get outta here you pot-smoking hippie! :P

Edited by Leon

Actually the fact something is dictatorial is not inherently political (the politics comes into how you handle or if you agree/disagree with the policies)... and we don't have the pot, that's the next state up ;) It would seem we just use all our parks lands to grow it for export at this point.
http://www.registerguard.com/rg/news/29849329-76/smokejumpers-site-carlson-fire-growers.html.csp

If you register your vehicle as a custom built car, do the same regulations apply or does it just have to pass DEQ standard tests?

Edited by CasperIV

You might be able to register under SB100 but I think that may impose restrictions as far as how the car is used. I'm not well-versed in this so don't quote me.

Actually the fact something is dictatorial is not inherently political (the politics comes into how you handle or if you agree/disagree with the policies)... and we don't have the pot, that's the next state up ;) It would seem we just use all our parks lands to grow it for export at this point.
http://www.registerguard.com/rg/news/29849329-76/smokejumpers-site-carlson-fire-growers.html.csp

If you register your vehicle as a custom built car, do the same regulations apply or does it just have to pass DEQ standard tests?

Just skip the political crap please. I don't go to HBZ to discuss pot-growing and what state may be a "dictatorship"...

• 7 months later...