HybridZ

"Daily" Driven: S30 or S130

Recently a 260z 2+2 was for sale it got me thinking about buying a Z for more daily use.  Currently I use my 2001 Tacoma for my job which is in sales and I travel to San Antonio and Austin and other Texas locations with regularity.  Its only getting about 16 mpg on the highway so I can justify buying a "classic" car as long as it is reliable and gets me better gas mileage. I feel a S30 or S130 fits the bill nicely.  I feel our weather is decent enough to do this and if I use a 2+2 or S130 it might be less frowned upon for using one of these regularly as the seem to be less "valuble".

I have been told that S130's are probably considerably more safe than S30's.  I am not sure how much a S30 2+2 changes this if at all. So I would like any insight from anyone who has perhaps even been in a collision in one or the other, or both. 

Because this 260 2+2 was in my mind, my thoughts on that would have been a S130 drivetrain 3.90, 5 speed, P54 with N42 head and something along the lines of Z Therapy carbs, a little more cam than stock  What kind of MPG could be expected with this? Would keeping a 3.54 help the MPG's on the highway considerably?

What does a stock 81-83 S130 N/A get on the highway? I have seen reports of about 25mpg.  Highway speeds are a little higher in Texas, I usally drive about 80-85 mph.

If it were an S130 I would probably go N/A for simplicity and cost.  Regardless of either car I'd probably want to be all in on the car at no more than $7K. $5500 would be even be better. 

I am not a large person and my 77 280z fits me fine, however I have never ridden in a S130, are they better "highway" cars for comfort?

Being married with little ones I think the Mrs. would like at a S130 and think "safer" than any S30. Not to mention I myself want to be around to see my girls grow up.

Thanks for any feedback.

You want to use a car from the 80s with carbs to commute around Texas with good MPG and reliability?

I think you are looking at the wrong car.

I didn't know 280zx's were carb'd nor that Nissan quality was so poor on carb'd vehicles that duplicating near oe quality would result in poor reliability. 

I didn't know 280zx's were carb'd nor that Nissan quality was so poor on carb'd vehicles that duplicating near oe quality would result in poor reliability. 

"something along the lines of Z Therapy carbs.."

:icon56:

If you really want to give up the reliability of a modern Toyota as a daily driver, be my guest. But it will simply not be as reliable or comfortable for daily driving.

Edited by 78zstyle

I would say a 280ZX would be a better choice for a daily commuter. I'm probably one of the few people aside from when they were new and available that's actually driven a 280ZX as a daily car. All year long, rain, snow, heat, etc. Once I made sure the EFI was all running properly I had no problems with cold starts even on 0*F days. Would start right up alongside all the other cars from the 2000s. As for reliability like I said, once I did a good tune up and replaced some of the old and aging parts I never had any problem. Only one time the car left me stranded and it was because of my poor wiring attempt at bypassing an old fusible link. I was lucky it didn't burn up my harness. Other than that I never had a single driving issue. Did a 4-hour trip one time and my Uncle called me crazy for trusting such an old car. For 3 years this was my only car. When I would switch between my S30 to S130 or even Z31 it was so weird hopping back into power steering. My 280ZXT at best got about 22mpg, but this was also with a 3-Speed auto. So I was cruising at a higher RPM range when on the highway. A 5-speed N/A should do much better. They're a little bigger and a little more comfortable than an S30. The A/C in my ZXT worked amazingly well which is one of the few old cars I've ever had that actually had A/C that functioned. I really miss my 280ZX and plan to buy another to go along with my 280Z.

Edited by DuoWing

I'd say it depends on what you put into it.  If you find a decent survivor and put a little money into it, and at least replace the struts you should have a decent ride. A 280Z  could get 28MPG  with the 5 sp and a foot that weighs a little less than average.  Really though this isn't about what the cars will do. it's about what you want.  Z cars are NOT made for hauling kids around.  My Z32 2+2 has a baby seat in the back, but it's a serious pain in the butt to use.  I wouldn't put anyone in the back otherwise.  A S30 can be upgraded as you say, but I'm not sure the carbs will get you better mileage. Best to stick with the stock EFI or go MS or upgrade to the MPI system from a jeep. You should do pretty well gas-wise jsut stock.  I'd upgrade the brakes.  You could get mileage in the 30's if you swap to a SR20 or a KA24. But Definitely get a 5 speed. It'll really make a difference on the highway at 85mph.

I daily drive my hybrid z in Houston heat. It does suck on has mileage compared to my evo, but I enjoy driving it. Plus it is nice to know I am driving something you don't see everyday.

I have ac and do get to work cool and dry. She is a little leaky in hard rains but that is what my evo is for.

I've owned a 77 and an 83 2+2 non turbo.

My 77 had sat for 2 years before I bought it last fall, and I'm still working the bugs out of it. My 83 was bought from a sketchy used car dealership, and my high school gym teacher was the original owner, so I knew the history of it. It was pretty much rock solid reliable with exception to some electrical issues. It ate alternators and batteries, and lit the fusible link box, but that was all due to a corroded ground.

My opinion is that the ZX would be the better daily. It feels far more modern to drive, and I found basic maintenance to be simpler, thanks to among other things, 4 wheel disc brakes, lack of spindle pins and rear mcpherson struts. In the 6 or so years of driving my 83, I only performed basic maintenance, and it was rust cleverly hidden by the shady dealership) that killed it.

Power steering, cruise control, larger hatch space, T-tops, 4 speakers mounting locations, larger hatch space, power mirrors and locks, and standard AC(?) contribute to a more comfortable driving experience, plus the ladies love bitching Betty :icon12:  

Of course both cars get tons of attention and are fun to drive, but for extended periods of driving, I would say the ZX is the way to go. Asa bonust, S13 coilovers are a cinch to install on the ZX to improve looks and potentially ride quality and handling.

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

"something along the lines of Z Therapy carbs.."

:icon56:

If you really want to give up the reliability of a modern Toyota as a daily driver, be my guest. But it will simply not be as reliable or comfortable for daily driving.

^ This.

There is no reason to drive a Z car as a daily driver unless you simply want to.  Almost any small to mid-size car will get better gas mileage than your truck.  Almost any modern car will be safer and more (or at least equally) reliable than a Z.

I wouldnt try to sell myself the idea that the Z makes "sense" to drive.  Drive it because you want to, or dont, but I wouldnt try to rationalize it.

Edited by h4nsm0l3m4n

I have been using my 280zx as my DD for about 2 1/2 years now and I love it. I honestly dont see myself buying a different car as my DD any time in the near future. The car is rock solid, it has never left mt stranded. Since I have been driving it I grow more attached to it every day. It is awesome especially in the summer. I own both a ZX and S30, I love them both but when it comes to DD, the ZX is far superior in comfort(seats, ride quality, power steering, all of the luxuries/amenities, noise level, and general feel). So if your looking for A DD, I say %100 go for the ZX. You will not regret it!  

*Caution sarcasm and bitter words*

I live in texas..  DD a 280zx...

I'd say... Unless your obsessed with ZX and insanely twisted ( Like me) 

or find one thats in perfect condition which you could... 5k is MORE than enough for almost perfect zx. 

I wouldn't daily a 280zx...  or 280z  in texas....   period(s)

But if you still want to hang on to the idea of Z/ZX 
Maybe 280zx 2+2 hard top might be the "one" for you.  I mean.. there are people that daily these cars..

though saying 80's car is "safe" is probably the last thing I will say before I crash my ZX at 6mph and die. 

But if your looking for a classic, good mpg, safe, reliable...    you should consider Hondas...  maybe EF-Civic wagons.   those things are really cool imo. <- this, no sarcasm