HybridZ

Building a Hitch and Trailer for my 280

I'm getting a little flex out of the board thats bolted to the insert, but most of that is just rotation of the insert in the hitch

Clever way to install the hitch. For the issue quoted above, what I do with the hitch on my truck, is use wood shims and jam them in there to take up the slack. Works great. Especialy works great for those that keep the recievers inside thier hitch all the time and don't like hearing the clunking around while driving.

• 1 year later...

Haven't visited this thread in a while. The trailer sat for a year, but I'm about to hit it hard again with drag week looming in 3 weeks.

Pulled the box off it this weekend, and started measuring for the axle, frame, and rolling stock.

This is very close to the ride height that it will be. For reference, the top of the bed is 33" off the ground  B)

IMG_20140813_211949204_zpsilr8e6po.jpg

Any idea what the weight is of the trailer? I'd like to get an old Ranger/mini-truck bed to make into one but I'll have to stick to a HF trailer if it's too much.

Just the box... Maybe 200#?  My 120# gf can lift half, for what thats worth lol.

How will you cover the bed?  I'm thinking about the ability to pull into a hotel and park it to get 1-2 hours of sleep.  What axle did you use so that you could use the draglites?  What width wheel are you using?  Looks great.

I won't. I'll lock up what isn't bolted down.  Look a little closer.... there isn't an axle in it. Thats one of the front runners from my car.

This is in the infancy stages right now. Still have to build the frame and buy the axle.

Aw, I bet you don't sleep all week anyway (you'll be helping guys who break down on the highway).  I have a couple of long tows left before it gets cold and I'm dreading having to carry all my crap into the hotel, since I just have an open bed pickup.  Thought about getting a fiberglass cover for it, but I'm going to try bringing a bicycle for getting around the track and that won't fit under a cover when I squeeze it inbetween all the extra tires, jack, spare axles, etc that I haul around (just in case). 

Worked on this a little last night.

I bought all the steel for the frame - 4 x 10' sticks of 2" x 2" x 14ga

Started mocking up where I was going to put them

IMG_20140821_204453798_zpsgzjkdjhb.jpg

Clearance for 1 of the rails. Hopefully have the frame finished this weekend, and have it ready for the axle and paint..

IMG_20140821_215027306_zpsrwmbrowu.jpg

Worked on this a few hours saturday.

Everything clearanced for the new frame

IMG_20140823_124416275_HDR_zpshjj7z2sl.j

I 45'd the rear joints, so there wouldn't be any open points to the frame. On the front "A" I did 22.5 degrees on both pieces where the straight meets the angle.  Then a 45 where the angle meets the tongue.  

IMG_20140823_142431380_HDR_zpsnluvonzl.j

IMG_20140823_124427301_HDR_zpspy0bdlyn.j

Out for squaring and welding

IMG_20140823_170410795_zps9ors3wge.jpg

The shop help approves!

IMG_20140823_170437159_HDR_zps2hosbprl.j

Back in for final fit. There are still a couple braces to be welded in, but its mostly done.  The axle will be here today, so more to come on this.

IMG_20140823_175742748_zpsdmjhfhgo.jpg

I've decided on the wheels as well. Just some cheap steelies that will match the draglites.

IMG_20140825_083844139_HDR_zpse9e5dbcu.j

Are you gonna blast and paint it to match the car?  How hard was it to find a datsun bed?

Eventually it will get some paint. For the time being, it will be primer I believe.

Datsun bed wasn't that hard to find. Craigslist has several.  The hard part was finding one without rust! This truck was from AZ.

Yea, all he did was cut the frame below the cab and add the hitch.

Still has the Datsun rear end under it.

ritrebor

Mine was the same way. Only they did a worse job on mine lol

Edited by SUNNY Z

• 1 month later...

Forgot to update this!

Trailer got finished just in time to leave.

It pulls amazing, though lacking tongue weight. We remedied this by putting 20 gallons of E85 in the front.

Car didn't even know it was back there!

IMG_20140908_163737493_HDR_zpscp20vzw1.j

I saw a picture where someone made 2 plates to fit where the rear bumper bolts on the 280 went (it was bumperless),  and had a pipe bent into a long U and welded it between, T_________T like this . He put the ball on that and he would unbolt it off the car when not needed. I thought that was a good, simple idea.