HybridZ

631 (6 cylinders, 3 carbs, 1 turbo)

Alrighty guys it has been awhile since I made a post about this journey. I have hit a couple road blocks along the way that have hindered the progress.  One was I blew up the R200 in the Z while I was having a spirited driving experience.  The second one was I sold my 1972 Ambassador wagon and purchased a car that would save me some money. Both in the miles and smiles per gallon, the new car far exceeds the old in a lot of ways.   The new car to the fleet is a 1979 280zx.  131,xxx. the P.O took out the EFI, and put a clifford with a edelbrock 4 barrel.  The newly purchased car came with a rear end that was originally in the car as a spare, the P.O.  put in "Steeper gears" as he put it. The interior is in good condition with little flaws here and there.   I have had to get this one up and running  tops to daily drive while I fixed the rear diff. So those two speed bumps along the way have really set me back for completing this project.  But none the less I am moving forward now.

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

The pictures are a bit older, goldy has matching wheels all way round, and the lazy lady (the red one) is now sporting the old chrome 2 piece 14 inch wheels.

ANYWAY lets get back on topic, so I shot a update video.

here it is!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You've made the same mistake I did . That car won't do squat until you fix it. You have covered up your vent holes with your back plate. Take it back off and you will see what I mean. Check out my Mikuni thread. 

we shall see what I run into. it will not be hard to change the back plate or modify it.  I work at a metal manufacturing facility complete with every tool/machine I could need. do you have a link to your build/ the one you would like me to once over?  I thought the bowls will be pressurized with the boost reference regulator.  sorry if I am missing a key part here guys...

I'm no turbo guru but my understanding is that the float bowls need to be pressurized along with the rest of th carbs.

The effort will be to keep direct air forces away from the vent opening.

Triple Mikuni help thread

Edited by madkaw

I have been doing a little image searching whilst on break.   I should drill a hole for the vent on the upper left hand of the dcoes so boost pressure also goes into the vent hole..... correct?    also making sure it is sealed with a nice O ring or what not.

Carburettors operate on pressure differential. If you don't equalise the pressure at the entry of the carb, with that on the float bowl, it makes your fuel level move all around. Early cars did not have that vent, if your filter clogged, you choked the engine out. Choke Playes do the same thing. That's why PHH's don't have a "choke lever" they have a "starting circuit" which performs the same function but in a slightly different way.