HybridZ

How are Mishimoto intercoolers?

I've been looking for a decent intercooler between $200-300, and I'd really like to stay away from ebay intercoolers.

I ran across mishimoto, and they seem pretty legit. Their warranty appears to be awesome as well.

Does anyone have any experience or input on these intercoolers?

Also, what's the biggest size I can run in my 280z without getting rid of the hood springs?

Hello! Thanks for considering us for your project. If you can come up with some dimensions I would be happy to help out with what cooler would provide the easiest fitment. Do you have any specific power goals? We just released a smaller cooler that is capable to around 500hp.

Thanks

-John

I live in Las Vegas, so I see over days over 100F regularly during summer. I need to make sure I won't get bad heat soaking. I had to

upgrade to an aluminum radiator recently because it couldn't keep my car cool during some recent 110F days.

This is my daily driver, and would eventually see the track once I get my suspension.

My goal is around 350rwhp with an L28ET. 

I believe the distance between the openings in my radiator support are 30 inches.

I plan on using 2.25 inch piping off the turbo to intercooler, and then 2.5 inch to throttle body.

Based from the specs provided by Winston our J (new) or G line would likely fit just fine in that space. They would require transition coupler or piping due to the inlet/outlet size which is 2.5 for the J-line and 3 for the G. Both of these cores should support your power goals and be very beneficial in your hot environment.

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks

intercooler_type11_picture.jpgCheck out frozenboost.com i have there type 11 intercooler. Everyone ask me about it because it was only 170 bucks and works amazing! I have been running it on my turbo zx for over 2 years with no problems at 15 psi. Everything i got from these guys has been good. My intake air temps dropped 110 degs over the stock j pipe. I would recomend them to anyone on a budget. The end tanks are cast thick with 4 mounting points with helicoils in them. Hell i hit a raccoon with mine it did no damage gotta love bar and plate. Best of luck.  

Edited by redzedturbo

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not a fan of the same sided intercoolers.

I don't want 3 holes on the left side of my radiator support cut that open.

Still torn on the Mishimoto G Series vs the CXRacing intercooler.

Not sure why to choose one over the other just yet.

Edited by Milenko2121

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, but I'm not a fan of the same sided intercoolers.

I don't want 3 holes on the left side of my radiator support cut that open.

Still torn on the Mishimoto G Series vs the CXRacing intercooler.

Not sure why to choose one over the other just yet.

If you haven't decided which route to go, I would strongly suggest against CXRacing. I recently had a very bad situation with their products and their customer service (or lack there of). They basically told me that I am fucked and refused to stand behind their products.

I would like to remind you that all of our products come with a 100% guaranteeed lifetime warranty, which covers everything from product defects to accident protection. We have this warranty because we stand behind the quality of our products.

Pay a visit to JeffP's Extreme 280ZXT site on Angelfire... People who see his inter cooler always comment on "how small it is" compared to the typical FMIC's (mis)applied to most cars.

We have done oil temperature testing in dead airflow with that intercooler making pulls at peak HP (at the time 475hp) that lasted 5 minutes on average. No airflow but rock steady inlet temps under boost for 5 minutes straight.

Listen to engineers who design these things. With a proper core design, thermal realities dictate btu's in and btu's out and btu's rejected will always return a steady temperature. "Heat Soak" most people get is from using turbos out of their efficiency range putting in more btu's (higher discharge temps to the cooler) and overwhelming the coolers ability to reject the heat.

In effect, going to a properly applied turbo operating in its proper efficiency range will result in lower temperatures throughout the system, making more HP with lower inlet temps from the same intercooler!

Jeff is still using his original cooler ate 758rwhp as he was at 450rwhp. The thermal spiking he experienced once crossing 600rwhp was addressed electronically... But that "baby intercooler" works fine in practice on the street.

Never forget it is a SYSTEM and a system design approach as opposed to a, "individual bolt on specification" approach almost always returns more power for less outlay ($$$) long term.

Go with the Mishimoto for sure. I've sold their stuff in my store for many years and although I don't deal with them directly I have always been impressed with the quality of their stuff for the price they retail at. I have used CX stuff before but to me they are just well branded and slightly cleaner versions of the same cheaper stuff you find on ebay and elsewhere. I would def but the Mushi stuff a notch or two above them. You would be surprised if you did a boost leak test at how many of those cheaper intercoolers have pin holes in them. Nothing you will notice but they will work the turbo that much harder to build boost.

I'm using a saab intercooler with no drop in pressure between inlet and outlet at 17psi. I've also talked with a few guys at the strip and they speak highly of the ebay turbos and intercoolers. I wouldn't personally use the turbos but maybe an intercooler. There is also a honda running in the high 6s with what appears to be a mitsu conquest intercooler. I'm wondering just how much an intercooler is really needed with good fuel and a good tune.

This was a CX racing intercooler, it keeps temps about 10 degrees above ambient temp.  Its a little larger than i like but posted it more to show how we installed it.  We used an intercooler with the inlet outlet on the same end and went into the core support through existing holes so I didn't cut the body of the car at all. Also, the way its mounted I used exhaust hangers and bent/welded them so the intercooler actually is suspended on the rubber mounts of the hangers. I haven't had any issues with boots ripping or stretching and its been on there a few thousand miles.  I will end up using a smaller intercooler later on, this one is way too big for what i'm doing.

post-8916-0-83768400-1374852998_thumb.jpg

Edited by motomanmike

Go with the Mishimoto for sure. I've sold their stuff in my store for many years and although I don't deal with them directly I have always been impressed with the quality of their stuff for the price they retail at. I have used CX stuff before but to me they are just well branded and slightly cleaner versions of the same cheaper stuff you find on ebay and elsewhere. I would def but the Mushi stuff a notch or two above them. You would be surprised if you did a boost leak test at how many of those cheaper intercoolers have pin holes in them. Nothing you will notice but they will work the turbo that much harder to build boost.

I'm a fan of the mishimoto warrranty. I've had their radiator and it worked great.

Thank you both for the kind words!

• 1 month later...