HybridZ

New Project!

The body styles changed dramatically in 1979.  They are defined as the S30 (240Z through 280Z) and S130 (280ZX).  You have an S130.  The only parts that are easily interchanged between the S30 and S130 are the engine, transmission, differential and half-shafts, and possibly the wheels.

The easiest way to convert would be to buy a 240Z body and move all of your running gear over.

www.xenons30.com

www.xenons130.com

I'd suggest you start looking at other S130s for inspiration, perhaps you'll find a front end setup that you like.

S30 bumpers on an S130 will require a good deal of fabrication and custom body work (read: lots of money!). In the end it probably will look mismatched considering the more squared straight line styling of the S130's front end...

Take a look at the 30th Anniversary kit for the ZX, it cleans the front end up a bit, and in my opinion makes it slightly[\i] more reminiscent of the S30.

Custom anything is expensive, especially something as time consuming as body panels. Learn to do it yourself, or buy what is already available. Or have deep pockets!

Ok this is what you do. Slash your tires and get some decent sized wheels and tires, remove the bumper shocks. Then lower the car about an inch or two.

Thank god you already removed all the fake "accessories" and the fog lights. My eyes were about to commit suicide. That shows you're on the right track.

Go look at some build threads, both here and ratsun to get some ideas. 

Edited by BluDestiny

• 1 month later...

Also, the differential in this thing is either broken/non-functional. Should I replace it or upgrade? Is it an easy job or do I need professional work done?
I'm wanting to do a 5 speed swap, where to start? What would I need to do? QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS!!!

Ah, okay. Well there's SOMETHING wrong with it, when I try and drive the car I hear metal clanking and sometimes it just stops like I slammed on the brakes or something (but I didn't) and so it's just been sitting until I decide on what to do.

Edited by The_Rookie

Is the sound coming from the front or the back? and why do the r200 swap, unless you figured out it was from the rear end. 

To do the r200 swap you need to lower the gastank, turn the rear diff bushing bolt 180* around and then put the r200 in. It's not hard, but it is time consuming. 

Yeah from the back. I already started, figured out something in there's broken after I took the oil cap out and there were shards of metal everywhere. Only problem is the damn mount, I have no idea how to get it out. It's got a screw in through the middle and then the sides so it's near impossible to take out.

You remove the nut that's vertical, then if you're just replacing the mount, it's easiest to take the whole rear cover off and slide the entire thing down (after loosening the cover to mount nuts). If you're dropping the diff, then you loosen the driveshaft, axles, and the 4 long bolts holding the diff to the subframe, then remove the cover nuts and move the diff forward a bit, lower the mount straight down, then wiggle the diff out. Or take the cover off again. Thing is, removing the cover will be messy.