HybridZ

3D printing custom emblems

I you're looking for a local printer try universities and colleges. Some will have public access printers in their libraries. Otherwise try googling "3d printers in *your area*", there are a few websites dedicated to mapping out 3d printers for locales. Don't expect amazing precision with theses for intricate inlaid patterns, but they'll get everything else right.

If you have any pictures with diagrams and or measurements of what you need, I may be able to do a quick model for you this week.

I am currently attending Central Texas College in the drafting department. We just got a sexy 3d printer....but the department chair is a stick in the Mud. However, one of my classmates has one. I can ask if he would be willing. I see him again Monday. Will let you know.

2mm thick.. ABS. Should be sufficient. The overall height (or depth, from the perspective of looking at it installed) should be 25mm. At that depth, with 2mm material thickness, the 30mm "flat spot" measured from outside, it be enough room inside to clear the nut.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, sorry for the delay. my wife had a baby, and the gentleman with the 3d printer appears to be a world traveler. the solid modeling is done, the file has been exported and awaits printing. We just finished finals today, so he said he will do it this Week. More to follow.

PROGRESS!! Ok, so we got it printed out, there are a couple different ways to do it. One was a supported method upside down, which is represented by the white one. The area where the supports were is a bit rough. WIth some sanding, I am sure it would smooth out. The gray one is an unsupported version which comes out much smoother. They were printed with ABS that he had on hand. 

20150515_124251_zpsmf6yhehy.jpg

20150515_124007_zpsdc9ioezz.jpg

Both of them fit very well into the steering wheel. They pop in and take a little finesse to get back out which I am sure is what is wanted. 

The prototype works though. :)

looks good.. i see that the gray one would be much less sanding. i'll take it. how much? i trust ABS is paintable?

you could play around with the sketch a bit and try making a "quarter" size inset about 2mm deep or so that an emblem of some sort could be glued in.

But.. i don't have anything now.. i would be happy with what you got. Maybe later you could make a custom one that an emblem could snap in.

I am actually going to try and streamline it some more, including the emblem relief. I will see what I can do. I am pretty decent with solid modeling, just need to keep it within the limits of the printer.

ABS is just plastic, I use Bulldog adhesion promoter on plastic prior to priming and have never had an issue Painting.

Edited by Jay_Gadsby

• 5 years later...
On 6/28/2013 at 7:41 PM, Atozone Tonine said:

I will be printing this prototype this weekend.

Honestly, it would be about 4-6 hours of modeling plus printing and finishing for a custom emblem, so it might get expensive to pay a 3D modeler to make something custom.... But it would be very cool.

I made a universal base and will be making several different styles of faces to try out for myself.

If it turns out well, I would be a contributing member and could have a few styles for sale.

post-29918-0-16484300-1372473246_thumb.jpg

post-29918-0-67422300-1372473256_thumb.jpg

post-29918-0-36621600-1372473272_thumb.jpg

Hi Atozone Tonine

I know this is an old post but I was wondering if you still print these emblems? 

I also have a mod/add on to it if possible.  Please let me know

cobybaca@gmail.com

Thank you

great work!!!