HybridZ

Aluminide is aluminized plastic.  Go to shapeways.com and look at their materials list, they describe it pretty well there.

When I printed my Emblem for the side of the 240Z, it looked like it came out pretty well. The dimensions matched pretty well with my original part.  I have yet to paint the plastic though.  Full Aluminum printing I'd wonder about, but if you were casting, then yes you'd have to account for shrinkage.  If you added 20% to your cad model then made the mould it may come out about right.  I want to do some aluminum casting. I've been saving cans, and I guess you can do it with Cement crucibles and map gas. though a real forge would be best and using real casting sand. 

in comparison, plastic parts are much easier.

I second the dome light. Those lenses are hard to find.

Well I finally had some time to get to work on this. I took my NOS light I was saving apart and pulled out the lens. I was amazed that even though this was in a box for the past 35 years and in the plastic, that the lens was kind of spiderweb'd with cracks in it. Kind of annoying, but in anycase, my original is still intact for It was easy to get measurements.  I recreated the lens in Creo and  made some adjustments.  For 3d printing ease I made the face flat rather than rounded and bevelled the edge. this worked well.  I Printed it out in White and here's the product: Reproduction on the left, OEM on the right.

post-4150-0-23283000-1391245926_thumb.jpg

The top + assembled:

post-4150-0-56986300-1391245944_thumb.jpg

A close up: you can see the diagonal gridding of the print, which actually adds a lot of strength. The lens face is only 1.5mm thick.

post-4150-0-29259500-1391245935_thumb.jpg

I connected it to a power supply with an LED dome lamp:

post-4150-0-22943700-1391245960_thumb.jpg

If anyone needs one of these, please let me know. I'll sell em cheap. Just PM me. Thanks...

If anyone else has any ideas for things that would be nice to reproduce for these cars, please let me know. I'll be happy to work on it if it's something that's printable.

Phar

Well the Console center piece is a little larger than my 3d printer can handle. But there are companies with larger printers that could print it for a price.  The fun part is actually modeling the part. that's usually more expensive than the printing.  Concievably  yes I could model it. But  would it be worth it? There are still a lot of OEM center's available. It's only if we were going to Mod the console that it could be really worth the hours it would take to model it, and be able to sell enough to cover the time. Print time in a larger piece could run into many hours too.   What are you thinking? Why are you wanting a new center console?

Phar

I would just like a blank console that I can put whatever I might want in. In my case I'd like to shove in a double din stereo and switches for an aftermarket ac. I see lots of people though that have done different things with the center so it might cool to just have a blank. I didn't really understand how the printer worked until I went and looked at it. It would probably just make more sense to cut the console out of ABS or just do the vacuum forming instead.

Or find a way to make that piece take a common mirror. With all the crumbly plastic mirrors out there, I'm sure someone would want one. I had to frankenstein a Hyundai mirror with my Datsun arm since I couldn't find a mirror that wasn't crumbly or black around the mirror. It wasn't hard to do actually.

So I just finished modeling a part that I doubt will be commonly broken on our cars, But if anyone needs one, Let me know.   It's the Mirror-Visor Clip bracket.  We modeled it for the idea of being able to mod it to add/delete things.  Say you wanted to use a different mirror, we can adjust it to fit whichever you needed, and you'd still be able to clip up your visors.  Here's a picture.  If I print it I'll post that too.

post-4150-0-58507000-1394040438_thumb.jpg

Phar

I'm still printing parts is anyone is looking for anything for their Z.  I still have all the design files for everything on this thread and parts are available.  More I'm looking for additional parts that can be designed in cad to make them better or replaced since some parts aren't available in NOS anymore.  We can have things sintered into metal, through shapeways, but that's not too cheap.  I print in ABS, and am now printing in .15 to .35 mm layer heights for much nicer parts.  Let me know if you need anything.

Blower fan blades would be an epic undertaking. I'm sure it would be a long build and It might be questionable as to the durability but it's an idea.

I just got a Makerbot Replicator 2X at work. I'm hoping to find a few things to print for the z as well. I have the beginning of the FairladyZ emblem but I need to model the letters.

If I make anything else I'll let you know. I can send you the CAD files for anything I come up with if you want.

Sure that would be great.  We could collaborate on some projects if you'd like.   What software do you design in?     The blower fans wouldn't be so bad, Just a really long build, and I'm not so sure about the overhangs.  It would be at the larger end of our capacity.  I'm not sure it blower fans are that much on the unavailable list. They don't tend to really go bad I think.  Durability, that really depends on what you print in. Nylon might be the best idea since it's a moving part. 95% of my printing is in ABS. It works well though anything that would be in the sun for a longer time would need to be painted. (emblems)  Painting with chrome paint then white/black/red/blue for the details has worked well.

I want to start printing in Ninja-flex for printing grommets and boots. I need to see how well it holds up to oil/grease first. 

One project on my list is the drains for the Series 1 hatch, they look like a half oil bottle. But they allow airflow. I want to create a pair that can integrate fans that would run off a solar panel to push air out of the car on sunny days to keep it cooler inside. It's ideas...  That's the great part about 3D printing is that you don't have to stick with the OEM look.

I design in solidworks and have been printing in ABS as well.

I have access to the ninja flex stuff and have been curious to try it out. I'll let you know if I do. I just printed some fuel/brake line insulators and am having them cast in a durable rubber so we'll see how that comes out.

I love that hatch vent idea. I have a set of the oil bottle looking things. I can probably have them 3D scanned if you want a CAD model to work off of. It would be cool to have the solar panel replace the chrome vent grill.

My main goals with printing are to print sand casting molds. With the printer I can make a part in two separate halves which makes making the aluminum casting mold much easier if it's a complex part.

RIght, Casting molds are awesome.  I've seen a few guys do that.  In fact there's a threat on here about a guy casting his own injection and intake horns. For the molds you don't have to print them solid either.  you can print a 30% infill and the outside should be nearly perfect.  They are much easier than the CNC cutting.  

Let me know on the Ninjaflex, that'll be cool.  And Sure! If you get a model of those Oil bottle drains, that would be great, since those are next to impossible to find.  It'll save some modeling time.  Have you used 123design?  I use Creo, but I just got 123design and it looks pretty good. 

After using 123Design a little last night, it's a different bird, and frustrating since elements seem to disappear and the .STL's created aren't stable oh well.  I'm sure it's good, but there's a learning curve. I'm probably not doing something right.   Creo is pretty nice and intuitive for me.   A lot of people like Sketchup.

It'll be cool to see those drains in 3D.

If it's at all possible I'd love to get a model of the plastic piece on the headlight bezel that the adjusting screw goes into. At least one of mine broke and the other is in pretty bad shape so I'm not sure I could get proper dimensions off of it.

My headlights only illuminate the right side of the road now.

BFG,  Can you take a picture of where you're talking?  I think I know what you're talking about, one of my old S30's had an issue like that.  My 280 in in great shape, and if it's the part I'm thinking, it should be pretty easy to pull out and model.  We might be able to find a picture in the parts reference, but it wouldn't have measurements.  You're talking about the plastic insert that the adjuster screws into right?

No image in the parts reference unfortunately. But I think your thinking about the correct part. 

Heres my refinished headlight bucket. Its the plastic pieces that the only two screws in the image would screw into.

IMG_20140326_192010_332_zpse315e181.jpg

My old adjuster screws had rusted in place so when I went and took it apart to refinish they just stripped completely.