HybridZ

240z bumper nuts

sito

Hey all I'm planning on mounting a 240z bumper to my 280z. I've got the brackets figured out but I can't for the life of me find out the nut size of the bumper studs. I've looked for the 240z bumper nut sizes and have gotten different responses for different year bumpers.

I've heard some bumpers are 10mm 1.5 pitch, 10mm 1.25 pitch or 10mm 1.0 pitch

I went to the local hardware store and bought both 10mm 1.25 and 10mm 1.0 pitch bolts and they dont seem to fit.

Can anyone chime in and possibly identify which bolts I need? I'm pretty sure its not the 10mm 1.5 pitch nuts as the threads seem very close on the bolts.

Here are some pics for reference, the 10mm x 1.25 sort of thread but just stop and I dont want to strip the bolts as then I'll be sol...

2013-06-22_12-13-37_205_zpse328ce77.jpg

2013-06-22_12-13-23_374_zps03080074.jpg

Any help?

I found a nut that fit and went to the hardware store and got the EXACT same thread on two separate occasions for the other bolts and NONE of them fit! I waited a couple weeks because I had no idea what to do. I even tried the old stock bumper nuts and none of them worked except the one magical one I found. I eventually found another castle nut that fit in the depths of my friends garage. Heaven forbid I lose those nuts or I'll need some form of black magic to get new ones.

I'll try cleaning up the threads some more. I already hit it with a ton of pb blaster, maybe I'll try some vinegar and coke solutions...

The weird part is my 1976 280z 2+2 bumper mount bolts are 10mm x 1.0mm bolts whereas everywhere else I've seen they are 10mm x 1.25...

Color me confused, hopefully cleaning up the bolts will work otherwise I'll have to find some "magic" bolts like bfg.

Weird I had a dream last night that I tried the 10mm x 1.25s and they fit!

Tried them out this morning quickly before work and sadly that was not the case...

*sigh back to the drawing board.

• 9 months later...