HybridZ

Arizona Z parking brake

I finally received my Az Z parking brake calipers about a week ago.  Been too busy to install them but they look nice.  Dave painted them red, I would have preferred them un-painted.  When I get around to the install, i will post some pics and let you know how it goes.  Should get started next week.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the AZC parking brakes. We took ours and sanded the red coating off then buffed them to a shine.

Im actually installing a new cable this weekend.

They require around 2 inch of travel cause there was a manufacturing error( well ours are)

The stock able will only give you around 7/8 travel

I can get picture if needed to help with yours.

2" of travel! How you gonna get that? I will ask him not to paint mine.

OK well when we were in Arizona in January he had around 100 sets of 2. So i dough he has gone through all tho.

Now for the 2 inch. At first i had taken out the bracket that sits on top of the drive shaft and modified it.

But each time id let off the gas hard or clutch in hard the drive shaft would hit it. So i bought a Lokar 8ft u cut it cable. And i have already removed that bracket and il mount it direct to the hand break leaver. Witch give from 2-2.5 of travel

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-ec-80fu/overview/ Using this kit with

and these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-ec-80wc/overview/

This should give me the correct combo. Now this is a fully custom set up. Not sure what its going to take to fit it. I know already that i need to drop my exhaust, drive shaft and a cross member in the back. These aren't a direct bolt on to the factory set up.

Now unless Dave has got them changed from the 1 start thread witch we have to the the 2-4 start he originally wanted. only M1noel would be able to tell us that

Not sure how it work in your state but here we dont have emision but we got safety. Now we know a few mechanic who will pass it but only having 1st gear as and e brake is a bit anoying. I can take pics as i got allong on the instal for anyone who will need to know a way to do it.

Life is great in Alabama: no smog check, no safety check. I've been following Fauxre's agony trying to get a modified car on the road in California-seems like agony. I drove around on drag slicks for two weeks and no muffler for a year and nobody even raised an eyebrow. I would love a parking brake, but I'm sure as heck not pulling my tranny to get it done. Hoping you guys find an easy solution. Im gonna order the parking brake-ready calioer brackets either way.

So i got the z in the air on the jack stands, this mite prove to be a pain to install. Going to prob have to modify a few different parts, il have more pics come the end of sat. Atho sat night is a big party so it mite be sun morning. As i go im getting pictures so we can all learn from my mistakes :)

So, I started on mine this weekend, but discover my right axle adapter to hub was loose.  I've checked this often since putting in the wolf creek axles and having one come loose.  Haven't had a problem since then but went to an autoX last weekend for the first time in many years.  Eight hard runs on the airport tarmac must have done the trick.  No missing nuts but all on the outside right were loose.  So new bolts, type C locking nuts, red locktite, and lock washers.  Maybe this will do the trick.  Anyway, I started mocking up some brackets for the e-brake cables.  I believe the stock cables give me enough travel, but may be too short to route the way I want to go.  I'd still like to see the pictures xtreme240 promised

Sorry have meant to update but i have yet to finish my own. Kinda got fed up with it and left it on the stands. The hardest part for me was the fab work to attach the cables. I do have multiple pics of the steps and i will be done for Wednesday il prob post some time after that,

Ok so i just found a major flaw with my set up at least, and I think with all of them. There is no spring to pull back on the leaver arm. When the caliper is fully locked and i dose lock the wheels in my test with a 20 inch bar on the hub, when i relise the cable, it dosent have enough force to push back on the arm and the cable just bends. Il try to get a hold of dave to see what his fix for this is, but crappy part is those aren't going to be ready with weekend. Il still try to get the pictures up, and Im still uploading to photo bucket bit by bit.

Yeah, when I ordered the calipers Dave told me that I would have to add a spring.  That has about been the extent of the instructions.  I haven't started building my brackets yet but my plan is to put a compression spring over the cable between the lever and bracket.  Hope to get started on the brackets this week.

The good news- I have a parking brake!  And I took pictures....but, can't post them because I took them with my camera instead of my phone, and Vicki took my one camera to computer cord with her to France.  And I don't want to take the wheels back off right now.  If I get a chance, I will take them off and take some phone pictures.

I will tell you what I did.

I removed the old brake cable mounts from the lower suspension.  I bought 2 2" muffler clamps at $2.99 ea. and 2 compression springs at $3.98 for a package of 2. I welded the old mounts to the clamps at one end, lopped off the part where it used to bolt on to the suspension. and mounted the clamps to the strut housing so the mounts are just to the rear of the strut housing and with just enough clearance to the outside of the strut for the cable.  I put a spring on each end of the existing parking brake cable between the mount and the clevis.  I bolted a 1/2"X 1/8" aluminum bar about 2" long firmly to the clevis and used the old clevis pins at the arm of the caliper.  I used the bar instead of a cable extension because it won't bend and will push the arm back.  I then adjusted the cables from underneath the car above the drive shaft until the were free with the handle down and clamped tight when I pull on the handle.  It does use the full travel of the handle but works.  For $10 and half a welding rod I'm pretty happy.

I will post pic's when I can.

Oh and yes, I have Dave's control arms, mustache bar, and sway bar mounts, but without coil overs.