HybridZ

Arizona Z parking brake

5 minutes ago, DUDE said:

Yea im sorry I have been physically unable to do anything for the past 8 years, but now im trying to tackle this but found this same problem :( I have placed the emergency caliper on to the rotor but I haven't the slightest clue how to place the cable since it seems to be to short and there is nowhere to mount it? I was hoping to copy your plan to have some success? is there no way for me to see pics on this site that are that old? 

I'm not the original poster but I used his as a guide as well. You're going to need the longer parking brake lines. The way the caliper works it locks when being pulled back. Are you on facebook? I can message you quicker and share what resources I have. it's been a long time. I sold my Z a few years ago but I can help get you pointed in the right direction.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, itzgoten said:

I'm not the original poster but I used his as a guide as well. You're going to need the longer parking brake lines. The way the caliper works it locks when being pulled back. Are you on facebook? I can message you quicker and share what resources I have. it's been a long time. I sold my Z a few years ago but I can help get you pointed in the right direction.

Yes that would be great! can you please send me a message to Buzzyme Zcar , and can you give me your FB name so I can try to locate you and send you a message in case you cant find me? Any help would be great and much appreciated so thank you

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2013 at 6:42 PM, m1noel said:

The good news- I have a parking brake!  And I took pictures....but, can't post them because I took them with my camera instead of my phone, and Vicki took my one camera to computer cord with her to France.  And I don't want to take the wheels back off right now.  If I get a chance, I will take them off and take some phone pictures.

I will tell you what I did.

I removed the old brake cable mounts from the lower suspension.  I bought 2 2" muffler clamps at $2.99 ea. and 2 compression springs at $3.98 for a package of 2. I welded the old mounts to the clamps at one end, lopped off the part where it used to bolt on to the suspension. and mounted the clamps to the strut housing so the mounts are just to the rear of the strut housing and with just enough clearance to the outside of the strut for the cable.  I put a spring on each end of the existing parking brake cable between the mount and the clevis.  I bolted a 1/2"X 1/8" aluminum bar about 2" long firmly to the clevis and used the old clevis pins at the arm of the caliper.  I used the bar instead of a cable extension because it won't bend and will push the arm back.  I then adjusted the cables from underneath the car above the drive shaft until the were free with the handle down and clamped tight when I pull on the handle.  It does use the full travel of the handle but works.  For $10 and half a welding rod I'm pretty happy.

I will post pic's when I can.

Oh and yes, I have Dave's control arms, mustache bar, and sway bar mounts, but without coil overs.

Any chance that there is a way I can locate the pics you posted on this set up? im now at this wall and have noooo idea what to do :(

This is a CRAP pic but it's all I could find from 2015. 

20150730_192015.jpg

I used a U bolt/clamp and had a bar welded upwards to hold the e-brake lines.

national-hardware-u-bolts-2193bc-132-u-bolt-ss-64_1000.jpg

You can see the OEM lines are bent too much, so this DOES NOT work. you will need to get longer aftermarket lines. The ends of the line must have a "spring return" or else the ebrake will not disengage after you pull it.

universalbrakecables_ss2.png

I hope this helps. It sucks but I'm digging through old low quality cloud back ups of the pictures so it's not high res. The other pics were just google searches but it'll get you on the right track.

Edited by itzgoten
Moved pics to proper location

41 minutes ago, itzgoten said:

This is a CRAP pic but it's all I could find from 2015. 

20150730_192015.jpg

I used a U bolt/clamp and had a bar welded upwards to hold the e-brake lines.

national-hardware-u-bolts-2193bc-132-u-bolt-ss-64_1000.jpg

You can see the OEM lines are bent too much, so this DOES NOT work. you will need to get longer aftermarket lines. The ends of the line must have a "spring return" or else the ebrake will not disengage after you pull it.

universalbrakecables_ss2.png

I hope this helps. It sucks but I'm digging through old low quality cloud back ups of the pictures so it's not high res. The other pics were just google searches but it'll get you on the right track.

Ok this is great I will see what I can pull together thank you