HybridZ

Ms3x install

madkaw

Most of those maps were for the boosted guys, not much for my ignition only NA. 

My question was more towards trying to figure out how to share files. Sounds like you need to be running the same firmware to just swap out maps. I was expecting in the software that you could build several maps and be able to swap them out, but not sure I see that ability. I also realize that there isn't an easy "fix' for this.

I am using the 'generic" table 1 that MS supplies and the car runs pretty good, but I imagine that the curves are very reserved.  

You can use a boosted curve and adjust to not enter the positive pressure areas. The fuel curve has to be tailored to your engine. If you get a map from someone else, its wise to add some fuel over the entire map and trim down as you tune. You can find N/A ignition maps from stock ECUs online and you can adapt them to a Megasquirt map.

On a side note for map sharing. With all the different setups with megasquirts, sharing an entire MSQ is never wise. The thing with Megasquirt is to learn. I have read books, many sites on the internet, and the MSextra website many times to figure it all out. Plug in maps to your tune and let it evolve. BTW, I have a spark only map on this forum somewhere....

Swapping out maps is as easy as loading MSQs or saving them. You can even have multiple ignition maps that can be switched with a toggle switch.

Edited by winstonusmc

Thanks for the response . I did get a hold of Lazeum who has done a bit of work with his hot NA with triples running Megajolt. It look like his maps will help me a bunch. Your right about too many variables trading msq

So I have been playing around with the tuning and so far so good. I have advanced all regions of the table and my MAP reading seem stable enough to tune with. I need to taek my son with me and have him man the laptop and plug in numbers on the roll-especially for cruise.

Cleaned up the engine bay for some pretty pics.

post-1083-0-95405300-1397316396_thumb.jpg

post-1083-0-11568200-1397316413_thumb.jpg

post-1083-0-42090700-1397316427_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So I have been teaching my son on how to drive my Z--SCARY.

It did allow me to have the laptop in my lap watching all my tuner studio gauges- cool!

My balance bar seems to be helping as my MAP reading are steady and I have 55-60 kpa at idle.

I didn't much adjusting as I did watching to see what the ranges are like for the MAP sensor. Looks like I need to adjust the map table scale on the kpa side. Since my engine is mostly in the 75-100 range I need to add more levels in that range. Presently it goes right from 80 to 90, I need an 85 step - if possible.

As soon as my son gets more comfortable driving my car, I will get more comfortable and watch the laptop more.

Also I should add that where I installed the coolant temp will not work. I guess I misunderstood how the coolant circulates. I thought coolant from the engine always circulated in the lines but were bypassed at the heater core when not needed. I only show engine temp when I have the heat on. So I guess I will install a ZX thermostat housing so I can have multiple sensors . This way I can keep my car gauge and also have my MS sensor in the same spot .

• 1 month later...

So my idle sounds like 3/4 cam and my AFR's are bouncing. The engine runs like it has a miss or something. After checking everything from carbs to vacuum leaks, I started on the MS. Timing light verifies correct timing. What's weird is if I put the light on each coil, they fire off like machine gun-fast at idle EXCEPT #6, and it's about half speed.

Well I guess I don't know how to attach my tune. Hybridz says I can't attach this type file

Edited by madkaw

Well still looking for the miss!

I can watch my timing light and see the miss as it happens . #6 cylinder is still the funkiest. Sometimes it flashes light wasted spark and other times it doesn't flash that fast.

Fixed the timing at 15 degrees and it's rock steady. No variation with rpm.

Checked CAS gap and then tightened the gap - no different.

Checking wiring next ?

Not sure if changing capture setting will do anything.

Same thing about skipping pulses. I don't want to make changes unless I'm sure I want damage anything.

If you're not losing sync, it is is not on the input side. Probably the coil. Try switching it and see of the miss follows. If it does, it is the coil (or coil wiring). If not, I *think* you can wire to one of the spare injector drivers (yes they are on the MS3X card inside the box) and change the software settings. I never have had to do this though...