HybridZ

Been holding out on you guys :-)

Sounds like a sweet setup.

Now, pet peeve: there is NO I in Moser. Whew glad we got that out.

Noted and fixed LOL

Bringing out some old timers ... Good to hear from you Mike. Juan and the "Meister"!!

May get to do a little test-n-tune this weekend. Track is real strict, so I won't be setting the world on fire if I can make it :)

Replaced floors with 10 gauge pans, all seam welded

Rockers replaced and mostly seam welded

Roll cage

Front rails tied together with engine cradle

Rear subframe tied together with front diff mount cradle

Mike, this thing is going to be a beast! That thing was ludicrous with the 2jz. What kind of power were you making with that motor? The torque difference should be the main thing, right? Good luck with this set up, and stay safe.

Wow, weight with me (185) in it ... 3100 lbs!! ...According to the scale at the dump LOL

IT GAINED 250 lbs over the 2JZ

That is surprising.  I really would have thought the ls would be lighter.  Turbo, intercooler, and so forth all changed out as well?  Heavier supporting systems maybe?  Is it an iron block?

Adds up quick. I've got to get serious and reduce the weight of the driver for my car. That's the first place I need to concentrate! But think about it: cage, he has full interior, iron manifolds, lots of stainless tubing (which is really heavy), bad dog frame rails (maybe?), the turbo, a big tranny, and a big diff, cv axles, probably disc rear brakes. Fortunately, he has enough power for it not to really matter.

Yep, not overly concerned with weight, as this is not strictly a "race" car. My machinist complained about how heavy this new gen IV iron block is as he can usually manhandle a bare small block around, but not this one LOL. I originally took him a Gen III 6.0 junkyard motor as a core (2003 Yukon I believe). He sonic tested the cylinder walls and could not believe that he found some areas only .060 thick! He recommended, since I was going to be throwing an indefinate amount of boost at it, I go with a new block. He sourced a new one from one of his contacts at the Chevrolet dealership, sonic tested it and found that the cylinder wall was .220 thick in the thinest spot... HUGE difference... He also found the Warhawk heads weighed significantly more than the factory heads (a lot more aluminum in them).

As for overall weight weight, you are right, everything in the car is heavy.. big turbo, cast manifolds, full exhaust, all the stainless and mild steel turbo spaghetti, mild steel cage, power heated leather 350z seats, even the intercooler is heavier than the one that came out.

I am giving up .2-.3 in 1/4 mile time with the added weight, but how fast do I really want to go... I mean the cage is good for 8.50 and any faster and I have to do a funny car hoop and additional bracing. Even at 3100, I'm confident I can make enough power that the cage cert will dictate how fast I can go :-) 

OK, noticed a little miss last night driving home, so time to read the plugs...so nice having the car home again :-)

Congrats on the build. Can't wait to see it in person. You should have no issue acheiving your goal with the weight, I think out Z is about the same weight if not more. Maybe we can all get together again in reynolds GA. in October. I am sure my brother Jerry will be chiming in also. He has had some bad luck with his latest change on his Z car, but this is racing. Kudo's to Scottie also he does great work. Have fun tuning and please keep us posted.

John

3100lb is not a bad weight IMO, right there with the Z06 and ZR1 ! I like where the turbo is placed and the piping to it. Do you have a better pic of the driver's side manifold ? Where does your exhaust exit ?

Thanks John/Jerry, I plan on being there in Oct in Reynolds. It depends solely on my work schedule. I may still be in the training bubble, and if so, then I have no control of my days off...

Hi Pete, I was making somewhere between 750-800 rwhp with the 2JZ according to my 1/4 mile time and weight...

Daz, here are a couple more pics, one showing the drivers side, and the other from the front...The full 3" exhaust exits the stock location in the rear. The 4" exhaust dump exits in front of the pass side tire (has a removable cap v-banded on for street use)

post-119-0-88628500-1373541680_thumb.jpg

Edited by Z-Gad

Thanks John/Jerry, I plan on being there in Oct in Reynolds. It depends solely on my work schedule. I may still be in the training bubble, and if so, then I have no control of my days off...

Hi Pete, I was making somewhere between 750-800 rwhp with the 2JZ according to my 1/4 mile time and weight...

Daz, here are a couple more pics, one showing the pass side,.....

That power should be easy to reach with this setup. Probably more.  Passengers side? Is this car RHD?

What oil pan are you running?  I switched to an LS3 corvette pan over the winter and gained about an inch of ground clearance.

f-body pan...hoping I won't have to pull the engine too soon, but I'll look for the Corvette LS3 pan when I do and see if it will work without any further mods.

Does the pickup tube for the  LS3 pan sit in the middle or the rear?  

Thanks for the heads-up

Edited by Z-Gad

A lot of my local tracks have sorry return tracks with ruts and rocks, so I put a triangular "cattle catcher" on my crossmember to avoid oilpan damage.  What you are gonna need is WHEELIE BARS!  I've seen some makes of car that will slap an oilpan on the gound coming down from a wheelie.