HybridZ

harbor freight wire welder?

I agree with Blu, it can get the job done, but it won't get much more than that. I agree with also the second statement of buying a used welder on craigslist, a nice mig will be in that range and will open up a lot of possibilities. Or look at some of the models sears offers, a little more pricey, but some have pretty decent ranges of adjustment for wire speed and amperage and gas hookups.

Personally I bought an HF and returned it after I found it impossible to weld on sheet metal, for 1/8th or 1/4 inch steel it should be more than adequate. It really only has a high and lo setting for the amperage, and the lo setting is way too much for delicate sheet work. Keep in mind the 90amp model is flux only and will splatter pretty profusely. 

You will be MUCH happier with the finished product if you buy a decent welder, or have it done by someone.  I personally hate flux core welders as the weld quality doesn't hold a candle to a good MIG.  Thats just my opinion though.

I found the Eastwood MIG 135 is decent for most small projects and good enough to work on the Z, can usually find it on sale with free shipping, I got it for $299. Just need to time it right.

I am a novice at it and I am doing well on everything. I am also using gas 80/20 argon/co2 mix. Lots of practice too to get familiar with dialing in on various thickness to get a proper weld. If you decide to do more can always find on craigslist a lincoln/miller 220v.

I second the Eastwood welder recommendation. I've had mine for over two years and been through a couple spools of wire without any major issues. The gas solenoid went out a couple months ago, but eastwood promptly sent one out free of charge.

Oh and I bought the harbor freight welder first. It was Ok for welding up brackets but the welds were hideous and it was very difficult to use. Sheet metal was just about impossible to weld without burning through. I Wish the Eastwood one was available when I bought the HF one.

It will. It won't be pretty, and if you have no welding experience it will suck and you'll need to practice a lot. Search craigslist first for a used  lincoln or miller welder around the $300-400 price range

Much as I love the HF Stuff, I'd skip the wire feed welders and spend the money on a Lincoln, Miller, or Marquette (or ESAB)... And the note about used is well advised, you see guys selling these all the time at those prices, and many times you get a full setup and in some cases can run a few beads at their place before taking it. Usually someone buys a small one, and ends up buying a bigger 220V unit quickly thereafter (when you get a good one and get good results...) You see a lot of HF Boxes out there used as well, and when going to check on them, you see a lot of small Millers and Lincoln's!

"Skip the intermediate first step and start out right!" LOL

Anybody have experience with the small HF Inverter TIG boxes? Haven't tried those by my past experience on the Wire Feeder left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Having a small 110V TIG for sheetmetal and small stuff really would fit my needs opposed to firing up the 300A CyberTig....that I can't exactly plug in on the back porch! 

Looks like I'll just find a used lincoln eta now that I got myself into more fab work then I expected... Finding a old rwd corolla around here has proven to be impossable, but what I did find and buy, is a 84 FWD Tercel. They have the engine mounted longways, and all that will be needed to convert to RWD is a rearend (Im thinking a Miata IRS). Going to pull the l28 this weekend, game on ;)

I have the HF wire feed, works kinda ok for most things. I did modify my trans cross member and re-welded it with the wire feed, no problems, NOT a beauty queen tho, but the welds hold!!

I have been no good with trying to spot weld body panels with the HF wire feed. THAT may be due to the fact that I have no idea how to weld, yet anyways...

nother tools mig140i wire feed their newest model $349.. watch alot of youtube vids before i picked this up and started welding body panels.. first time welding.. im just using .030 flux core even thoe everyone recommends gas, but ill probably switch later on. so far im able to weld 20-24gauge panels .. granted its not pretty and is time consuming since im tacking spots other wise itll burn thru.. 3yr manufacture warranty.. my first welder and so far its pretty simple to use

Edited by 77moneypit

My trailer hitch was done using an HF Wire Feed.

The thing was great for tacking the layout...but dismal for final welds, thermal overload city. The feed mechanism wasn't trouble free, either. I spent as much time adjusting or reloading wire as I did welding.

But the welds were proper, and full strength. If you set it up properly, weld integrity should not be an issue. But getting the setup right is the hard part!

I got the HF 90AMP flux welder as well and I have zero welding experience.  I'm practicing for the most part on scrap exhaust pipes I have laying around and pieces of sheet metal (18-20guage).  

Anything thinner than exhaust pipe will blow a hole (at least for me). I have mine set at almost zero wire feed and on min when trying to do the sheet metal. I'm also using Hobart .30 wire (big difference from HF wire, in a good way) and some splatter resistant gel. These items help but I still find it difficult to not to blow holes through.  I think it's just too hot for sheet metal and this coupled with my inexperience adds to the fail.

I'm committed to doing my Z floors but I should have gotten the Eastwood 135 or saved up a little more for the Hobart 140.

I have alot of more reading to do before taking the next step.

Turning up the wire speed and moving a little faster will actually help prevent blow through, but you won't get decent penetration. From my experience with the HF welder I had an arse of a time trying to weld a bead on anything thinner than 16 gauge other than short tacks.

For something like floors which will be supporting not only your weight, but the weight of seats, rails, and maybe even a seat belt mounting point I really would be skeptical about being able to do much with that welder.

My unsolicited advice would be to cut all the correct panels tack them in place how you would like them ensuring good fitment and minimal panel gap with your welder and call someone over and have them finish it up with their welder. Make sure they use a mig at the minimum, that you can supply the power supply, and that they have experience with sheet metal. You can watch with your welding mask and pick up on how to weld with a proper mig and learn about moving around, cooling the panel, and all that fun stuff :). If you want to go do it yourself, you can borrow welders from welding supply stores for the weekend and call someone who knows what they are doing to watch as you lay down a few beads. 

I've been involved in the welding industry for more than 20 years (man that makes me feel old). I had been borrowing a semi portable Miller 300amp welder from work to weld on my LS project car. It is heavy and bulky and I had to unhook the dryer to get 220 for it and it was getting old. I bought Eastwoods 135 mig machine, $300 with free shipping. When I was unpacking and assembling it I thought it really felt like a toy and I was prepaired to be disapointed.I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. I have run 2.5 small spools of wire through it without a problem. I run .023 solid wire with 75/25 gas. Of course it's not a 220v 300amp machine that costs thousands but the band for the buck it's hard to beat.

Most junior vocational schools and some community collages have evening welding classes, wouldn't be a bad idea to check into that especially if you don't have a bud that can weld.

• 2 months later...

Another problem with the ultra cheap welders is parts availability. Sometimes they use squirrely parts that a weld supply store doesn't carry, and sometimes aren't even available anywhere.

I wouldn't be afraid of trying a Eastwood machine though.  If you can find a 110V Hobart it's the same as a Miller.

Admittedly I've never used a real nice Lincoln or Miller but I have used 2 brands that some people may consider crap and I would recommend either without hesitation.  

The first was a 110v Northern Tools mig.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577737_200577737

The ONLY thing bad about it that I can think of is that more voltage settings would have been nice.  Other than that, I really had no issues with it and would have no issues buying another if a 110v MIG was what I needed for a good price.

The other is a 220v Eastwood mig

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-175-amp-mig-welder-w-spool-gun.html

The only thing I don't like about it is that the tip stays "hot" after use.  It will cause a small spark when the residual charge on the wire discharges if you touch it to ground after you are done welding.  

I would have gone for a used Miller or Lincoln when i upgraded to 220v but as it turns out, they don't pop up on craigslist very often (at least not around here.)  I assume you see a number of 110v units from people upgrading, but most people probably hang onto their 220v unit for good.