HybridZ

Got the welding finished today:

P1010573.jpg

Started by aligning, marking and cutting out the holes for the camber plates, then welding the camber plates in:

Top:

P1010586.jpg

And Bottom:

P1010577.jpg

P1010584.jpg

P1010588.jpg

Then ground the edges smooth so it looks like it came that way from the factory:

P1010594.jpg

And added the brackets for my strut brace:

P1010618.jpg

P1010612.jpg

P1010626.jpg

Added a plate to strengthen the anti-roll bar mounting position:

P1010609.jpg

And moved my washer bottle slightly, not far from where it was but it should look better like this:

P1010621.jpg

P1010624.jpg  

New brake pads arrived yesterday so I fitted them to the wilwoods today, as from what I've heard that pads that come with the wilwoods stop you ok, but are a bit noisy and not great cold. I use Hawk HP+ in my Civic and they are great (apart from the dust) so thought I'd give them a go on the Z.

P1010653.jpg

Got a good coat of primer on today, quick rubdown and she will be ready for paint

P1010675.jpg

P1010676.jpg

P1010677.jpg

P1010680.jpg

P1010683.jpg

P1010682.jpg

Most parts are back in the bay now apart from the engine, that will go in once brake lines are done. Body panels back on and properly aligned, airdam mounted and diffuser plate made.

bumperon.jpg

Airdam is to be painted blue but I thinks it also looks quite cool in black so I'm considering keeping it black.

If you look behind the airdam you can see a big gap between the airdam and the radiator panel, this is bad for airflow and creates a lot of turbulence. To sort this out and improve airflow to the radiator and eventually also the intercooler I got an aluminium plate made up, this will be painted satin black. I think it improves the looks aswell as the airflow.

frontplate.jpg

frontplate2.jpg

Thanks guys

I'm still having trouble deciding to go blue or stay black with the airdam, what do you guys think?

done2.jpg

done.jpg

In other news, this car is definitely going RB, because I've just bought a fully forged RB26 with lots of Tomei goodies.  :D   :twisted:   Engine will be good for over 700HP, but I'll never run that much, hoping to have a 450HP map and a second high boost map at the flick of a switch to change to something like 550hp. I'll be limited to just over 600hp by my fuel pump anyway.

Beautiful car. Whatever color you do with your air dam, make it a color that you can repaint easily. Air dams get smacked on things. I left mine un painted (dirty black color right out of the box) because I smack it every time I load onto my trailer and my tie down straps rub on it.

Only photos I have of the brake lines at the moment, I will try and get bigger ones. They are looking good I think, it was definitely the right choice to use polished stainless hardlines, they look so much better than copper or cunifer ones.

brakelines.jpeg

brakelines2.jpeg

Due some updates, most of the work is done: diff mount, cv shafts and conversion flanges, billet stub axles, rear brakes, prop valve, suspension, brake lines and engine are all fitted.

Not so good photos, when I get better ones I'll put them up.

front.jpeg

enginein2.jpeg

brakesfront.jpeg

rearbrakes.jpeg

dat4.jpg

dat6.jpg

dat1-1.jpg

Still got some wiring to do, fusible links to be changed for modern fuses, fan to be wired in, airdam and bumper to be fitted , rear strut brace altered to fit, fuel lines to connect up and that's about it.

Should also have turbos (HKS GT-SS) and gearbox sorted now too.

Thanks

Wheels are 16", I'll see what the clearance is like once its at its final height. If you are worried about clearance with the bar then you can easily slot it into the part of the body that it touches in the middle to give you plenty more clearance than it has on my setup.

Some photos of the engine.

P1020002-1.jpg

Got lots to do to just get it looking ready, got to:

Clean up throttle bodies and throttle linkages

Possibly powdercoat intake plenum - metallic silver

Remove fan

Remove power steering pump

Polish cas unit

Try and polish up cam gear cover to make it properly clear again, if this is not possible I'll buy a new one or use a stock metal one

Remove breathers on cam covers and weld on -10 fitings and repaint in R34 red

Buy plug cover

Clean and repaint block

Get exhaust manifolds ceramic coated

Came without twin turbo outlet piping, need to buy them, modify it to make the airflow meet better and get it polished.

That's all on top of fitting new parts like the custom sump and turbos. I'll make sure it all looks mint before it goes in.

P1010991.jpg

P1010994-1.jpg

First, loving your build so far. Just pumping me up for my own, but slightly low budget by comparison build. LOL... But it's good to see what parts are out there and what idea's I need to bring to my own Z, so make sure that you keep posting. I'm learning. :) Quick question though, was there a "budget" in mind when you wanted to build this car? I notice that you have a few "high dollar" choices that have been added and made their way onto the car in a short amount of time. (i.e The car itself (rare and in good condition), media blast and new paint, wilwood big brakes, custom  EFI fuel tank, modded RB26,etc.) Is this car for you or are you planning to sell her? It kinda reminds me of the lime green SR20 $100,000 Z build. Also, any updates or other changes in the interior? And are you planning to add a cage?

Carterlrae - Yes, there was budget, both for chassis, body, suspension and brake setup and another for engine swap. I've gone over the first and its safe to say I'm going to go over the engine swap budget also. Theres always costs that you didn't account for.

Theres quite a lot of expensive parts on it that I've had to sacrifice things in order to afford, but I want to make sure if I do something I do it right and getting it right means no breakages later on and will save me money long term. Do it right, Do it once.

Wasn't planning on a highly modded RB, but its not going to work out any more expensive, if I got a stock one I would still have changed the oil and water pumps, added an ATI damper, taken the head off, changed the gasket, fitted oil restrictors and drain. This has all this done already so that's saves me getting that done plus its got lots of extras.

This car is definitely for me, never plan to sell it.

I plan to keep the interior nearly stock, will be fitting a half cage after the swap though, might have to change the seats if they aren't holding me well enough for track work, I'll see how they go.

Don't think its quite on par with the green SR20 build, I'm doing the best I can but I don't have the kind of budget that was put into that, I'm confident I can make it my perfect Z though.

About time for an update.

This is just about finished for the first stage of the project. Shes running again although I do have a lot of the little details to sort and she also needs a good detail. I spent a few hours cleaning the interior today as she was filthy, some of the dust from the blasting found its way inside and coated everything, I wet wiped, dryed and treated every surface and took the seats out and vacuumed everywhere and while I was at it I took the seat rails off and cleaned them as dust had stuck to the grease and was preventing them sliding smoothly.

Not the best photos but you get an idea, I'll take better ones once I wash her properly, the rear wing is on now also since I took these.

I love how shes looks, I couldn't be happier, the wheels and airdam are perfect and make such a difference together with the lowering.

DSCF0847.jpg

DSCF0851.jpg

Looking tiny and very low compared to the Golf

DSCF0849.jpg

Thinking  smaller number plate may be called for.

DSCF0859.jpg

DSCF0864.jpg

DSCF0855.jpg

DSCF0861.jpg

DSCF0852.jpg

DSCF0854.jpg

Still got lots of setting up to do, tracking, caster and camber are all off and need set and I need to bed in the brakes and play with the brake bias valve to find the right balance, even as she is it feels great and it really stops well. Have been having problems with the float chambers overflowing on the carbs, cleaned them up today so hopefully that's sorted but I need to wait for new gaskets for them.

Will hopefully have better photos soon. Got a lot of work to do on the RB26 to get it ready so that wlll keep me busy, also my Civic is going to take lot of work, two projects at once is hard going.

Wish the weather was better.

Well, I haven't forgotten about this. Should be running good again soon, carbs have been cleaned and balanced but its still spitting out fuel, I've ordered two new float lid assemblies which should arrive vey soon, once I fit them then hopefully its all good again.

But in the meantime I've been working on tidying up the RB:

DSCF0979.jpg

My twin turbo pipe arrived, it been modified with a baffle which will smooth the airflow where the flow from the two turbos meet. Mean more power an less shuffle. I will grind the welds smooth and then its off to get polished along with a few other parts.

DSCF0983.jpg

DSCF0984.jpg

Trust Downpipe:

DSCF1004.jpg

Took off my exhaust manifolds, I will be using these stock ones as tubular ones often crack and don't offer any better results than ported stock ones. You can see they need ported where the soot has built up around the edges, I will port them so they are slightly bigger than the outlets from the head, this avoids turbulence.

DSCF0992.jpg

DSCF0991.jpg

Took off, the fan and power steering pump both of which won't be going back on. I also took off a lot of the other parts to clean them up.

DSCF1008.jpg

My clear cambelt cover wasn't so clear, so I polished it up, I think it came up pretty good, meaning I'll probably use this over the painted one:

DSCF1014.jpg

DSCF1015.jpg

DSCF1016.jpg

Spent a long time cleaning up these parts:

DSCF1033.jpg

DSCF1036.jpg

DSCF1041.jpg

Painted one side of my block tonight:

DSCF1027.jpg

Still got to clean and paint the other side of the block, clean up my turbos, take off the intake manifold to be sent for soda blasting and take off the rocker covers to get the -10 fittings welded on, then they are off to get painted.

Looking Much better after a warm lambs wool mitt bath:

DSCF1207.jpg

DSCF1222.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

DSCF1203.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1239.jpg

DSCF1241.jpg

Where I placed my brake bias valve:

DSCF1242.jpg

DSCF1246.jpg

Cleaned underneath also:

DSCF1269.jpg

DSCF1272.jpg

DSCF1274.jpg

Big difference to before:

DSCF8394.jpg

DSCF1275.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

Some parts are with the polisher, some parts are with the Soda Blaster and my engine covers are with the painter.

Complicated things these RB26's

DSCF1073.jpg

Throttle bodies off for cleaning:

DSCF1093.jpg

Other side of block cleaned up and painted:

DSCF1097.jpg

DSCF1103.jpg

Looking much nicer now:

DSCF1118.jpg

Had the rocker covers off:

DSCF1122.jpg

DSCF1135.jpg

They have Mines Breathers already installed, I removed them to allow access:

DSCF1128.jpg

To remove the old breather outlet and get the new -10 AN fittings welded on:

DSCF1133.jpg

That patch plate will be ground smooth

DSCF1264.jpg

I moved the intake side breather forward a bit so it will clear my bonnet latch bracket and it will also allow the lines to pass by eah other neatly on the way to the catch can.

DSCF1260.jpg

Cleaning up the turbos:

DSCF1165.jpg

Cleaned and painted the hot sides, outlet pipes will be sent away with the manifolds to be ceramic coated:

DSCF1181.jpg

Took the cold side housings off so they could be soda blasted along with my intake plenum:

DSCF1173.jpg

50/50

1798675_593619960723573_634611336_n.jpg

P1020164.jpg

P1020165.jpg

P1020159.jpg

Got my parts back from the polisher:

P1020149.jpg

Engine covers are now away to be painted.

That's all the updates there will be for a while now.