HybridZ

Taking over someone else's project.

If anyone actually reads this, I'm trying to connect a mad 6a, if you have a schematic/ any tips, that would rock. I've found some info online, I like hearing directly from those that have done the work. I don't have a laptop that will connect to megasquirt, my mac won't recognize it, I'm going the msdroid route. Just need the Bluetooth adapter.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The voltmeters on these old cars aren't very accurate and the alternators typically don't produce enough amperage at idle to supply all of the components and their corroded connections.  Voltage drops at idle and rises with RPM, up to the voltage regulator limit.

MSD has instructions and schematics on their web site.

I would measure actual voltage numbers using a voltmeter at the battery, not "pretty high" estimates from the dash gauge, and go to the MSD web site.  Be prepared to have problems with the 6A and your tachometer, many seem to.

Edited by NewZed

Not sure why my posts haven't been.....posting. I'll try again anyway. I found the msd with ms2 install info right after I posted requesting information, so as soon as I get my adapter I should be good to go. As for the electrical gremlin, I believe its the alternator, so I will change that when I get back from vacation. Looks like I will be installing s2000 seats in my car....maybe, going to pick them up Saturday as well as all the ac parts I need. Its going to be a busy few months installing everything. Can't wait.

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the alternator. As new zed mentioned, the stock voltmeter isn't that accurate, even with a new alternator it is still showing that its running high, though my fluke says otherwise (13.6-14). I got the new seats, I'll post pics tonight if I remember. Got to fab up a bracket, seems easy enough. Not going to be doing too many interior mods till I get done with the "rustoration".

Dang, here I am satisfied with a turbo 2.8, lol.

My 83 was a turbo ZX . Power was ok but LS1 is much better , especially with a T56 behind it . Unfortunately , the rear diff can't handle the power . Going to do solid axle setup soon , before the 6.0 turbo build . Already have the LQ4 block ( needs to be forged ) , LS3 heads and intake , Z06 ( LS6 ) cam , T76mm turbo , 102mm TB .

Here is the driver side seat. The passenger seat is in pieces for bracket making and heated seat kit assembly simplicity

post-40062-0-25645100-1379903163_thumb.jpg

I got the pair for 300 bucks off a guy who put racing seats in his honda....I love craigslist.  I was able to get some pretty mint (as in, not broken) interior parts off of a friend of mine in Columbia, so I may be doing a little more interior work between welding/cutting and scraping. And for those who don't know, if you are reading this.....DRY ICE is the best way to get the sound deadening material off of the floor pans.  Lay it on till it freezes, tap it with a ball peen and viola, clean floor, no sweat needed.

My 83 was a turbo ZX . Power was ok but LS1 is much better , especially with a T56 behind it . Unfortunately , the rear diff can't handle the power . Going to do solid axle setup soon , before the 6.0 turbo build . Already have the LQ4 block ( needs to be forged ) , LS3 heads and intake , Z06 ( LS6 ) cam , T76mm turbo , 102mm TB .

Im pretty satisfied with the inline six, not that I'm a purist, I'm just a fan of inline sixes in general.  The power is slightly above 350hp, though ever since I tried installing the MSD setup I got, it feels as if a lot of my top end power has gone, it pulls crazy hard until 4grand, then it seems like Im wasting gas, before it pulled alway up to 6500, pretty sure I f'd up some connections.  It's so dang hard to get stuff done with everything that's been going on.  Im gonna get it figured out this week, or maybe this weekend. I would like to get the head ported and polished, from what I have read from Tony D and a few people that have done it, it makes a hella difference, then I wont need to run 18 pounds of boost to get the numbers I want.

I like those seats . What model Honda ? I got some cheap Ebay seats , they look good but cheap a** materials , wouldn't them rec. to anyone . I was thinking of a pair of Z32 seats or Z33 , love my Z32 seats . I'll be awhile before I start ( restart ) on my S130 , doing body and interior work on my S30 right now , too many projects are going on at one time . :-D . The Z32 soon will get an LSx too ( at least 2 years from now , emissions reason ) .

Edited by Domzs

I like those seats . What model Honda ? I got some cheap Ebay seats , they look good but cheap a** materials , wouldn't them rec. to anyone . I was thinking of a pair of Z32 seats or Z33 , love my Z32 seats . I'll be awhile before I start ( restart ) on my S130 , doing body and interior work on my S30 right now , too many projects are going on at one time . :-D . The Z32 soon will get an LSx too ( at least 2 years from now , emissions reason ) .

Trust me I understand the "too many projects", I have quite a few going on myself at the moment.  The seats are out of a S2000, love them, little huggy on the thighs though, then again, Im a pretty big guy, but they feel good on the back.

Well, I got my bluetooth adapter in today, I saved the tune currently on my car, evidently I cannot upload it, Im gonna check the forum to see why, but if anyone wants to look at it, by all means, let me know, I will email it to you.  I haven't the slightest idea of what I am doing when it comes to megasquirt, so I am all ears....(eyes?), I've just been doing reading and etc on it lately. I have to use my tablet to do the connecting and data logging, my mac will not connect. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, friend of mine welded some brackets on my passenger S2000 seat....mounted it..no good. I screwed up and didnt get it close enough to the transmission tunnel, so I will be doing a little cutting to get it in better, changed spark plugs and lowered the fuel pressure.  I did some searching on the site and found that my fuel pressure was way way too high at idle, and since its a rising rate, it was probably incredibly too high under boost.  So I lowered it down to 30psig from 42psig at idle.  Car doesnt bog as bad in low rpm, doesnt reek of unburned fuel and the best part is I am getting almost twice the gas mileage....well, at least I am getting many more miles per gallon than gallons per mile. Just changed the plugs and it cruises beautifully at low rpm and doesnt stutter when getting on the gas. The plugs were pretty fouled, figure mostly from running so rich. 

Now the bad:

Looks like I have a small fuel leak coming from one of the last two injectors,  I have no idea how these injectors are mounted, plus I just now found this out five minutes ago after a spirited drive, testing out the plugs.  With a non webbed intake manifold and a hot turbo, Im not too keen on messing with the fuel rail to get to the injector at the moment. This sucks because she is my daily driver right now.

Near future:

Fix fuel leak, fix up my a pillar gauge pod, continue rustoration, get the d@mn seats to fit, clean the intake filter, change the radiator, attempt to reinstall power steering....got a long few months ahead.

Had someone openly express their dislike for my head lights today.....form vs function. They may not be the most attractive lights on the market, but man, they do the job, dual beam HIDs and I got them for a good price. Any who, the "fuel leak" evidently doesnt exist....could not find any explanation for the spot I saw on the intake manifold by the injectors, after wiping away, nothing has come back, but I did notice the down pipe seems pretty restrictive...and beaten...like.....with a hammer.  :icon8: Still working on my A-pillar pod, I bought UV curing resin so I could do it quick, since I live in SC.....but its been cloudy and it would only cure to extremely tacky, so I bought a black light, see if it works. Ill post pics later.

Here is what I sort of started with:

I took a three gauge pod that the PO had sort of installed on the pilar and cut off the bottom pod, it sat way too close to the dash, plus I am moving that gauge to the center of the dash. I riveted it to the pilar,

post-40062-0-83635000-1381280387_thumb.jpg

did a little molding with air dry clay

post-40062-0-32001300-1381280443_thumb.jpg

and fiber glassed over that.

post-40062-0-25690800-1381280487_thumb.jpg

Then I used some body filler, sanded the hell out of it and experimented with the UV cure stuff tonight....which did not work out as well as I had hoped, but it did work.

post-40062-0-58756400-1381280545_thumb.jpg

post-40062-0-82272900-1381280577_thumb.jpg

And if anyone is wondering, I painted the piece so that when I sand I can easily find all the low spots.  Im going over the filler with a UV glaze, I will sand that smooth then I will lay carbon fiber over the final piece.  I will probably install the pilar before I get to the carbon fiber part, need a place to put my gauges and would rather have a half done pillar than nothing at all. If any one wants, I can do a completely separate write up, but for right now I figure most people on this site can figure it out easily enough.