HybridZ

Taking over someone else's project.

Hey, since I've been a member for some time now and have yet to make any contributions, I figured I would now.  I bought a beautiful 83 280zx with an 81 l28et installed in it.  The previous owner had put a lot of love in to this car and I plan on continuing.  It's going to take a looong time to finish I'm sure, but it's going to be fun.  Here is the sales description of what has been done to it already:

Engine: 
-Isky Racing turbo grind cam shaft
-440cc injectors
-Megasquirt II Stand alone ECU
-Garrett hybrid T3/T4 GT30 turbocharger currently @ 18psi
-Large FMIC
-SPEC lightweight flywheel
-COMP Clutch
-Aeromotive Rising rate fuel pressure regulator 
-Innovate LC-1 wideband O2 sensor
-HKS SSQVIII BOV

Wheels/Suspension
-Rota RB-R wheels 17x9.5 with -19 offset on all corners
-brand new Hankook Ventus V12 tires with about 500 miles on them
-Upgraded sway bars
-rear GODSPEED RS coilovers w/ adjustable dampers
-front Eibach springs with Tokico blue dampers. I have a set of 240sx front coilovers ready to be retrofitted that are included.
-New wheel bearings
-Just replaced all break pads and rear rotor

That takes care of a lot of what I wanted to do.

Other things I want to do/ am in the process of doing:

I know little about engine work, but I know a lot about doing interiors, so this will happen faster than any engine mods:

Carbon fiber trim (weight savings would probably not be worth the pita to make molded parts, so Ill probably cover most parts.

Vinyl trim (black of course)

Get more speed hut gauges for volts/oil pressure/coolant temp/gas level

remake the dash to accept a double din cd player and then install my plethora of JL audio equipment.

Install an alarm system....probably soon, already bought it.

redo the door panels.

remake the center console with.......CUP HOLDERS!!

different seats, looking for something that has a little more updated look but is still comfy for a fat guy.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Engine:

Crank pulley with power steering...I want power steering, sucks without it.

Air conditioning (call me what you want, I live in Charleston SC, your argument is invalid)

good cleaning.

Aluminum radiator.

adjustable alternator bracket

some stuff to pretty it up a little.

Engine is pretty nice the way it is, just needs a little TLC.

Exterior:

Pretty much leaving it alone for right now, I'm going to try out some side view mirrors I saw and see how they fit, if they fit Ill update with pics and stuff. I already bought the HID modern headlight kit, lighting is incredible...especially compared to not having headlights at all.

Underside:

Eventually I would like to have a T5 installed, right now I need a new throw out bearing, but despite the engines power, the NA trans is holding up pretty well.

Bushings...need bushings everywhere, at least it feels that way.

Well, that's if for now, don't get too excited, I'm going to do a lot next week, hopefully get a lot of parts off a gentleman I spoke to recently.  It is going to be a slow and steady project..I hope.  

Thanks for listening!

Im suppose to get paperwork from the original owner soon (bought the car two weeks ago), he's been temporarily assigned elsewhere right now (military, been there, done that).  He claims it has 380whp and 450ft/lb and I believe him, it pulls stupid hard. He said he tuned it conservatively then let someone tune it on a dyno.  The blue is a GM color I believe, Ill try and find the code out if you want.  I appreciate the complements! 

I also want that .msq, however its going to look funny with that rising rate FPR in the system. I'd just toss that, adjust the fuel table accordingly and retune. Off the top of my head I think the 440cc injectors should be able to handle 18psi but if not, Id upgrade the injectors. Could be my own neuroses but I think its really sloppy.

Edited by Gavin

You'll want any and all paperwork you can get your hands on. Buying someones project can be a nightmare. I did the same thing and am still in contact with the previous owner. Its been 6 months since ive purchased it and i still call him to ask questions.

Thanks guys, any recommendations you can make for me will be helpful.  I was weary about taking it off his hands, still am.  He has been pretty straight forward with how the car is and there have  not been any surprises.....yet.  Ive got paperwork for the gps speedo and aftermarket tach and wideband O2, as well as the original service manual. He told me to call him with questions if needed, pretty sure it's going to be needed. The mechanical issues are what concern me, although there doesn't appear to be many,which is one of the many reasons I'm posting my build on Hybridz, guys here seem to know their sht. 

I also want that .msq, however its going to look funny with that rising rate FPR in the system. I'd just toss that, adjust the fuel table accordingly and retune. Off the top of my head I think the 440cc injectors should be able to handle 18psi but if not, Id upgrade the injectors. Could be my own neuroses but I think its really sloppy.

The car runs like garbage at low rpms, is this the cam you think, or could the FPR be part of it?  You seem to know a decent amount, I don't know jack about MS, which is why I don't want to touch it until Ive done my homework. As soon as I can get the .msq Ill send it your way (I am assuming it isnt too big for an attachment) Thanks again!

Well, turns out Joannes Fabrics sells headliner material, so I went ahead and redid my headliner, turned out pretty good, as soon as my computer stops being a pita Ill throw some pics up.  I also got a large trim piece wrapped in cf, so far so good.  Installed my new "modern" style headlights, which, btw, are pretty dang awesome. Hopefully meeting up with the PO today and getting some pieces of the car he had in storage.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just ordered a new 3 row radiator from champion, my current radiator seems to be leaking, plus it looks like garbage.  I need to remove it anyway so I can add on the power steering pulley, cant wait to have that back.  Friend of mine was able to point out a boost leak I had as well as some areas that need serious loving. Bought some fuse boxes to replace the cylinder style that are under the hood that the po installed.  Got the camaro mirrors in, little bigger than I was thinking, probably going to mount them on the fenders, waaaay too big for the doors....hoping I can find some sacrificial fenderrs to experiment on first.....we shall see, we shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

Gauges came in, not installed, wont be for a while, still working on the carbon fiber interior, while getting "certified" on the car lift we have at work I found an upsettingly large amount of rust on the passenger side frame rail.  When I began poking around, I was able to poke directly through the floor pan.....dangit. Pulled the carpet and found a decent amount of rust going across the front of the floor pan.  I used dry ice to get the sound deadening junk up and found the rust is not too bad, Ill post pics eventually. Looks like Im gonna be putting the interior "decorating" aside until I get the rust corrected. There is a place in Canada that sells the frame rails for cheap, may just go that route...then again I do have access to a metal brake.

• 2 weeks later...

So looks like I have an electrical gremlin. When I accelerate my voltage rises pretty high and my warning lights come on. Hoping it wasn't the alternator I decided to make the fuse installation the po did a little better.

Before

post-40062-0-91139800-1378086225_thumb.jpg

After

post-40062-0-86882000-1378086411_thumb.jpg

Ill get to the radiator and etc eventually. Going on vacation next week. Hopefully it will get cooler. Been moving and busy with work....want my baby to run right. Unfortunately the voltage still rises while driving, not as bad though.