HybridZ

What happens if you don't install retaining clips for 280zxt cv axles?

Rob240z

I recently converted my 71' 240z to r200, obx lsd, rt mount, and 280zxt cv axles. When I went to install the cv axles they would not go in with the retaining clips on them. I tried a multitude of ways to force them in while keeping them lined up with no success. The axles go right in without the clips, although it's a pretty tight fit. I was trying to install the axles with the clips on the axles. Next time I think putting the clips in the diff would be potentially easier. Even then, It doesn't seem like there is actually enough room for the clips. The clips sit proud of the splines on the shaft when it is completely set in the groove. The opposite splines in the diff would have to go right through it. I have read that you need to use a lot of force to get them in. I tried that with an 8lb sledge, and proceeded to complete demolish the clips.  I was using new clips from Nissan. After smashing one of the new ones I realized that the original clips were still in the original carrier. Those clips were slightly smaller in diameter and I could see small score marks from the spines. I tried to install one of those with the same negative results.  I know I must be doing something wrong, I just can't figure out what it is?

I ended up putting it all together without the clips, and took it for a small test drive today. There is a loud gear whine from the diff. It happens under acceleration or deceleration, but not when there isn't a load on the rear. There also is some clunking going on too. My guess these noises are from the cv axle going further inwards than they're supposed to. Is this going to cause any damage to the diff or axles if it is driven this way until I get a chance to somehow get the clips in? 

Thanks,

Rob

Without the clips the axle can push in to the diff and probably destroy your side seal.  Other bad things could probably happen if it pulls out and binds up.  doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think I've read of others having problems with clips in the OBX.  Can't remember where though.  I think that the 280ZXT axles were designed for clips in the diff, so that might be worth a try.  Why did you start with clips on the axles?

The internal clips are still available from Nissan.  http://www.courtesyparts.com/clip-side-p-351272.html

I wasn't even thinking about the side seals. I agree it is designed for it and I really do want to install the clips. I'm just not sure how to do it.

This was my first time working on a differential. That is the reason for not putting the clips inside first. I had read that that is how it is done too. I wasn't thinking it would be this hard to get the clips in. At this point I think I'll try to get the clips in the diff while it's in the car. That is not going to be easy though. Are there any tricks to doing that?

Courtesy Nissan is where I bought the new clips. I still have 2 clips.

The axles can also pull OUT and strip the splines, although that's less likely with the 280ZXT axles since they have springs in them.

Put the clips into the side gears and then push them into their groove with a reasonably snug socket so that they don't twist. 

I pulled the cv axles back out today. Just as Jon suggested using a socket to push them in to the side gears that is exactly what I was doing. I had experimented with a bunch of different ways to get them in the side gears on the original differential I had taken out and nothing worked right until I tried that. I was really nervous about pushing it in past the grove and not being able to get it back out. That method worked great. I had to make the clips diameter a little smaller by squeezing it a little first. I pushed the clip in with needle nose pliers, spun it while it was in there to orient it almost correctly, and then very carefully used the socket to push it in place.

The passenger side cv input shaft went in much easier than the driver side. The lower suspension arm was lined up just right to use it for leverage with a pry bar to pop in in. The driver side wasn't so easy. The suspension doesn't line up as nice.  I ended up, after a lot of trial and error, rigging up a couple spring compressors to push it in using the outside of the lower suspension arm. I used the compressors as spreaders instead. It still took a lot more force than the passenger side. I think that was because I used the new clip on that side and it is a slightly thicker steal than the old one.  

NewZed you were right about the side seal. I only drove the car without the clips for about 2 miles and the passenger side seal was getting scuffed up pretty good. The drivers side didn't seam to have touched at all though. I have no idea why one would be damaged and the other fine.

I haven't been able to drive the car just yet, but tomorrow I will and I can't wait to see how different it is. It actually seems a little quieter when I moved the wheels around while it was up on jack stands.

Thanks guys!