HybridZ

Moving A/C Compressor

Has anyone moved the A/C compressor to the passenger side?

With a turbo install in a 280/260/240. The intake is in the same position that the compressor was in. So you could make a bracket that attaches the the passenger side of the car. Then run lines to drier/evap/condensor and into the cabin from there.

Or just route the intake around the stock position of the a/c to infront of the intercooler and don't try to re-invent the wheel!!!!

All the old dealer add on kits placed the a/c compressor on the passenger side, I've tossed a few of these over the years. If you keep it in the zx position one of the lines goes to the core support for the condenser anyhow, running the other line beside it isn't a big deal, but it is quite crowded there with intercooler and air inlet piping.

Yeah saw one on a car here in town. But fabing one may be a way to go. My dad was helping a friend fab brackets for A/C install on early VW's this past year. They were making brackets so they could still get the large dual carbs 48 IDA's on the car. Them old school guys want 200hp with A/C in there old vw's. True meaning of Air cooled at that. 

Will you try to re-use your stock compressor? The S30 ac compressors have an oil sump so the compressor must be installed in the lowest point in the refrigeration system. So, you may have to mount the compressor where your alternator is now, and move the alternator up above it.

The later Nissans like the 280ZX and the 1977-84 810/Maxima’s used a “sump-less†compressor. These could be mounted above your alternator.

Then again, maybe it’s time to look at using an aftermarket R134a compressor, since you are making a new mount.

The 1977-80 810 uses a condenser that has both inlet and outlet fittings on the same side. Using this condenser would make plumbing the ac lines easier.

There's plenty of room for the AC compressor and lines with the 280zxt parts. Even when I was still running the stock ECCS with the AFM, I had plenty of space for everything. The J-tube kicks up so it's inline with the intake manifold, there's tons of room below.

Only issue is I am not running the j-tube. I am running an intercooler, so plumbing the intake pipes are an issue. 

Well then it completely depends on your routing, I can't really say. I have 2.5" pipes and there's still plenty of room, I just have to take off one of my pipes to get to the low pressure fitting.