HybridZ

turbo rebuild and downgrade compressor wheel

softopz

Iam currently running the stock 280zx turbo at about 15psi my setup is l28et bored .5mm stock fresh rebuild, DIY light  head/intake/ manfiold porting, ms2 edis, 440cc injectors, tial 50mm BOV, 240sx TB, 2.5 downpipe 3" from downpipe to muffler. I need a little more boost and hp, SO I have t3/t4 60trim T04E that I got from my brother that would need a rebuild.

The compressor wheel is damaged so it would need to be replaced from my online reading I gathered it was a 60trim based on measuring and comparing garrett catalogue (the wheel has 2476 on back but that could be many others). Wheel diameter = 75 mm inducer diamater 58 mm. The housing has a part number stamped 466159-5004 ( I know that doesnt tell me much ) I dont know the a/r of housing I measured from center bored to center outlet its 70mm. Whats on the housing is a/r .60 m24 (but that could of been machined from the inside right?) I remember my brothers turbo setup would take a while to get full boost 17psi. The hot side I believe is stock t3

.I want to order a new compressor wheel but from what I read 60trim seems a little over kill what do you guys recommend?

Where do you guys recommend a buy a compressor wheel and rebuild kit?

Also has anyone here rebuilt there own turbos ? I saw a couple of videos and it doesnt seem that hard .

I found this online garret catalogue i dont see a 50 trim (that everyone has) http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/applications/compressor.php

Thanks for your input skirkland, did the shop rebuild the same turbo and what caused the premature failure? What are the specs on your turbo? I am really stubborn and might give it a shot besides this turbo is already bad. I wont have too long of downtime cause I still have my stock t3. Now the question is what compressor wheel size to go with.