HybridZ

Fabrication work... what about outsourcing to Mexico or elsewhere?

Would using a fabrication shop in a country where labor prices are much lower be feasible? 

Mexico is the obvious choice for me (I have family in San Diego, and could pick up a bare body in San Diego and ship/tow it to Mexico along with a wrecked/thrashed donor of the running gear - then after the proof of concept is completely together and reasonable, disassemble it, strip and paint the finished shell, and build/install the running gear - perhaps shipping it home to do the last steps myself)

Some parts can be fabricated, sections of rot can be replaced, tedious work of grinding and welding might best be done where the cost of labor is lower.

If not Mexico, maybe another country further south?  I haven't considered shipping it overseas.

Is this a reasonable approach, and how would one go about finding a reputable fabricator in Mexico or another country?

As to details of my intentions, I'm going to put that on another thread in a minute...

It's very possible and has been done. You can save at least 50% on labor costs but the risks of shoddy work and outright theft increase. You will have to do a lot of research and plan on making multiple trips to visit shops and negotiate the deal before sending the car. You will also have to make many trips to check on progress and move things along. Large amounts of cash are also an issue when moving across the border.