HybridZ

Lightweight, longer lasting, better performing, lithium battery upgrade

Savage42

DJWarner, thanks for passing on the info.  I recently "liked" the club FB page, as I just got my Z shipped from Oregon (where it's been for 3 1/2 years since moving) to Sarasota.  I am still working on a few things that need to be finished on the car before I take it out, but I may still be able to make it to the gathering.  Would get great to get to know the other Z guys here in the area.  I may be going to the Houston Indycar/World Challenge race next weekend and Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta the middle of October, so I hope those dates don't conflict.  Is my page and the page for Braille for those who really want to get a better idea of who has run the product with great success. 

https://www.facebook.com/BrailleBattery

https://www.facebook.com/garysavage42

Oh, I forgot to mention that Peter Brock (yes, of BRE fame) is also a Braille dealer?  We had his V8 Datsun 510 (Datzilla) as a Braille feature car at SEMA last year.  Pretty darn cool. 

Edited by Savage42

On a slightly different note, we have hundreds of C6 Corvette owners (and many more than that overall) who run the B3121 AGM battery in place of a stock battery, Optima, etc.  This is a quick way to save 20 pounds and you definitely want to have a sealed AGM battery in your car to keep the acid from eating our prized possessions.  I was at a show in Orlando a few weeks ago and there was a brand new Viper there with the B3121 in it and the owner made to sure to mention that the very battery in that car was previously run in this last gen Viper, as well.  Pretty cool.  Since they are not far off in price, it is another possibly upgrade to at least save weight even if it doesn't offer the electrical benefits and increase lifespan of lithium.  Always good to have options.  :)

• 4 years later...

I'm reviving this old thread to rave about the new Braille battery I just bought and installed in my 1971 240Z. I recently purchased a GU1R Braille lithium battery, along with a custom Skillard mount, and was able to install it on the floor behind my passenger seat, completely out of sight (see picture). I have the 495 hp version LS3 crate engine in my 240Z (10.7:1 compression ratio). I needed a battery for one of my other cars and decided that, if I took the red top Optima out of my 240Z, I could upgrade to a lithium Braille unit that I've been thinking about since reading this thread four years ago. The Braille is much smaller than the Optima and about 30 pounds lighter. The improvement of the Braille battery was immediately apparent. I have a push button switch that I use to prime my fuel pump before starting the car. When I first pushed this switch after installing the Braille, the fuel pump ran noticeably much faster. Then, when I turned the key, the engine cranked over and started up like it was a small four cylinder. I was immediately impressed. I've started and driven the car several times this past week after installing the Braille and get a warm feeling each time I crank it over. If the other benefits described earlier in this thread are true (long shelf life, long life span, etc.), I now wish I had done this swap years ago. I understand that Braille is replacing the GU1R with the G30 model, which has the same performance specs, but is about an inch shorter and a few ounces lighter. I would highly recommend this to anyone that is considering a battery upgrade. Obviously, it wasn't cheap, Optimas are going for around $200 now and I paid $550 for the Braille from Summit but I feel that the performance, light weight, small size and Braille's clientele and track record justify it.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Braille.jpg

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Rupp11 said:

I recently bought the B3121 for a race car that runs maybe once a month.  What is the best Braille charger to use?  Can I use my Optima AGM charger as well?

Should be fine.  Any modern “smart charger” designed for AGM batteries is good.