HybridZ

build question? need help!

datsun280zx

Ok so im in the process of doing a small build on my 82 turbo. So far right now i have (but not installed) a intercooler setup, bov, 240sx throttle body, and soon getting a fully rebuilt t28 turbo. So my question is what else do i need? I wanted to raise my boost up to 10 psi but dont know if i need to upgrade the fuel system. Kinda new to turbo stuff so i need as much help as possible. I know i probably need a boost controller and want to get an electric fan. Thank you all for the help

Well the T28 won't fit since the stock size is a T3. You can run 10psi on pretty much stock everything with just a manual boost controller and a FMU. the intercooler will help, but I wouldn't run the bov, as it may mess up the stock ecu. 

Also an electric fan has nothing to do with how much boost you run. You can run the stock clutch fan with a shroud and you should be fine. 

T28 flange is too small and it's going backwards. You'll be able to find a functional, stock t3 if you post about it in the 'parts wanted' section.

Plenty of folks run an open BOV with the ECCS, but I'm sure it would be a tad more 'laggy'. I would recommend a recirculating Bosch from a 1g DSM. One should be had on eBay for $20-$30. It can be vented back before the AFM.

And finally, a wideband will be the best investment you could make. Watching your AFRs to make sure your engine stays safe under boost is cheap insurance. You don't want to push more air than what can be burned, so I would definitely wanna be able to see what's goin on.

Ok well i already picked up the t28 turbo so i could resell it and get a t3. Any idea how much a t28 would sell for? it has upgraded oil line and little to no shaft play. Would i be better off trying to find a t3/t4 ? Sorry for all the questions, and about the t3/t4 what a/r?

Start searching, my son.

FWIW

As for 10psi, testing at JG Engine Dynamics done in the early 90's showed the stock system stopped making more power after 10psi. This was a "crank up the boost and see what happens" style of test. All stock car, emergency relief valve lagged shut, and turning up the boost. 10 psi was where no more power was being made. The engine was near 14.7 at 5,000-5,500 rpms.

This was verified almost 10 years later by Tyson S. up in MN, finding 14.7 AFR's on his stock dyno runs.

Add an intercooler and you radically alter the density into the engine. More air, cooler mean even leaner.

My suggestion would have been before getting the new turbo and intercooler, to buy and tune a Megasquirt. The driveability difference between it, and the stock ECCS is nothing short of amazing.

That would put you in the catbird seat to then add up to 12psi, THEN an intercooler, THEN a Hybrid Turbo...

You got a bunch of parts controlled by a Boom Box from the 70's...Disco (Potato) is DEAD, bro! Ditch the glitter ball ECCS and get modern fuel control... Then worry about upping the pressure game.