HybridZ

1978 280z GTO LS1 T56 TTT

I was only going to metaphorically cut them. I'm trying to work on getting everything possible off of the front so I can sand, scrape, grind, weld....you get the picture. This is how far I am. Anyone need anything I'm pulling off, let me know.

post-37191-0-11808500-1380678918_thumb.jpg

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I made some good progress lately. I spot welded just about everything from wheel well to wheel well. Yesterday I blasted the whole front area and bottom of the car and painted it with rust shield. That was something I don't care to do again, but the end result was worth it. Now to do a few small patches and seam seal, lizard skin, etc.

post-37191-0-10039200-1382372233_thumb.jpg

I have a short nose r200 with the TTT mount. I haven't installed it yet so not sure how it even looks once mounted. What did you do to brace it?

With an ugly weld job but it holds 420 to the wheels no problem. I was able to use the two bolt holes closest to the diff

post-41295-0-96068900-1383010031_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thisguy

Thanks. I was looking at how to do that this weekend. I was thinking about doing something like that on the back side but trying to figure out how to bolt it on so the diff could be easier to remove if needed. Do you have a better view of the front side from the rear?

Thanks. I was looking at how to do that this weekend. I was thinking about doing something like that on the back side but trying to figure out how to bolt it on so the diff could be easier to remove if needed. Do you have a better view of the front side from the rear?

Sorry this is the only picture I took. I will have it on the stands again this week and can snap a few extra photos. It does make it a little more of a pain in the ass to pull it off but it's not that big of deal really, Just 4 extra bolts.

Edited by Thisguy

Finally finished the bottom prep. I rust shielded it, sanded it, lizard skin sound then heat. It came out pretty good for my first try at it. Now I'm on to the fun part... Making my pile of stuff lighter every day while the datsun gets heavier.

post-37191-0-58722600-1383617542_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone. My plan is to take a piece of angle and bolt it to the bottom of the crossmember that holds the front of the a arms on. I was thinking g to use the 2 bolts that held that heavy plate (for jacking I assume?) and using those to mount the bottom of the "L" and have it go toward the back of the car and turn up under the diff and bolt or weld it to the back side of the mount. It would be simple and add a lot more that the diff would need to twist before anything moves. Do y'all think it would be ok to drill 2 holes in te mount under the diff, say 5/16 or 3/8?

I'm assuming the problem with the mount is the front of the diff wants to lift up under power. The sides of the mounts aren't too substantial. This is what I was thinking would help keep it down. Anyone see any problems with this before I cut the piece out? It will be bolted to the jacking plate holes in bottom of the crossmember there and I will drill 2 holes in the mount to have it all bolt on. I will probably weld an angle gusset or 2 to keep it from being able to bend.

post-37191-0-00670800-1383787110_thumb.jpg

Socorob:

That forward mount need to be extended to the rear mounting points such that it is MUCH stronger.  The bolts in the front of the diff are in tension.  The mount should have been made such that the front fabbed mount is snubbing or on top of the two diff front mounts along with fabbed mount extended aft to rear mounting points.  Then it would be MUCH stronger.