1978 280z GTO LS1 T56 TTT

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.refinishsystems.com/product/258-56/3MPanelBondingAdhesive08115

I think it was this. The body shop across the parking lot loaned me a tube that had a little left. Its actually 2 tubes side by side. One tube is bigger than the other. It takes a special caulking gun for it. My friend said the other guy glued 2 pieces of metal together with it, let it sit for 2 days and tried to pull it apart with the frame machine. He said the metal ripped apart, the glued pieces didn't budge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today was installing a vintage air gen II compac into the 1978 Datsun 280z. It's a tight fit but I managed to get it to fit without interfering with anything on the dash. To do that I had to install it slightly off center towards the drivers side, maybe 1", and when viewed from above the drivers side is about 1/2" or so more forward that the passenger side. Brackets weren't too bad to figure out. What sucked was climbing in and out of the car dozens of times to cut, measure, bend.....

post-37191-0-87059300-1391995575_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-03042200-1391995611_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I have this in for its final resting place. Tired of taking the dash and evaporator in and out to make sure nothing will interfere. Got to this point today and everything tightened all the way. This baby better be cold!

post-37191-0-10937500-1394927902_thumb.jpg

Next winter I'm gonna be picking some brains about this kit. I need room for a forward cross bar/knee bar on my mini-cage. Looks like this kit should open up a space behind the dash between the location of the stick heater control levers/cables and the heater itself. Very interested in where you place the controls. Watching and learning from you. Litman is using the same system and is a little ahead of you if you run into any issues he may be able to help. Questions: how much should I budget for this system start to finish? I see where the water hoses connect-how easy will those to service while the dash is in? I guess that question applies to control valves, etc too. Is this thing gonna require dash removal everytime it needs tweaking? Haha-my spell check tried to make that twerking!.

I'm putting the controls in the stock place. They only stick back into the dash about 2 inches I guess. If you go with the mini like Mikey pictured above, you could push the right side of the unit forward another inch or so maybe. I'm in the gulf south so I wanted biggest I could fit. Where do you plan to run your knee bar? Give me a measurement and next time I have to put the dash back in I could try to get you some pictures of that area.

Yeah-I'm not going to try to do A/C so I may do a super small heater unit only. It really just need defroster for rainy race days. Heat on the feet is a bonus. My knee bar will most likely run under the steering column, thru the lower dash in the heater control/radio area, under the glovebox. It may have a rise to get over the stereo area or perhaps I might notch the tranny tunnel to get it under the radio-not sure yet. I'm trying to have it all: radio, heat, a roll cage with no overhead bars other than the main hoop behind the driver. Purpose of the forward section is to allow higher placement of a Petty bar and forward attachment of a right side interior window net/arm restraint. Lots to work out and deconflict.