HybridZ

Plasti-dip

Domzs

Plasti-dipped my airdam today , not a happy first timer . After my first coat , the damn compressor just stopped . It felt hot and had that electrical smell to it .The damn thing is brand new . This is the first time that I used it ( 3 min. ) . Tried to call customer service and guess what , they're closed today ( Labor Day ) .

Had to finished the job with my spray gun . I'm not a paint/bodyman but I can do a little . Took me awhile to setup my gun ( I suck at it ) .

Don't rec. using reg spray gun for this product . Too much material is wasted . It took 1/2 gal just to do the airdam . I'm pretty sure , I'll need at least 4 gals to do a complete car not 2 , as advertised . It turned out ok . Now I need to find the time to finish the rest of the car .

post-11413-0-76898900-1378163737_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-49067900-1378163769_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-17159000-1378163813_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-38632200-1378163862_thumb.jpg

Heh, good thinking.  Either way, it sounds from the bit I've read on it pretty easy to remove and re-apply if there is in case bubbling or what-have-you.

I've mainly thought of it since mine is "301 Brown Metallic", which everyone I've talked to says it looks like a 70's poo'. lol  So you can see why I would want to try plastidip at some point.

I don't blame you . I'm thinking of buying my friend's 76 and it's brown too . Not my favorite color , will do yellow ( or blue ) if I get it . If you decide to do it , buy plasti-dip only , w/o Earlex gun/pump kit . I bought a pro-kit from DYC . You can get the gun from your local stores like Sears . Would be easier to exchange it if something goes wrong with gun . I had to call Earlex about my problem , they're going to send me a new one ( great custom service ) .

I'll keep that in mind.  It looks like there's a bunch of places to pick up that sprayer too so that's a plus.  Even Walmart and Home Depot show that they carry them in stores, that is, if Google Shopping isn't lying.

Edited by Glliw

I have heard a lot of bad things about "dipped" cars locally. Chalking and fading from UV then when people go to remove it they realize it does NOT peel right off. You might want to consider doing a small test part and then trying to peel it off a week or two later. I have no direct experience with the stuff but it does sound cool.

I have heard a lot of bad things about "dipped" cars locally. Chalking and fading from UV then when people go to remove it they realize it does NOT peel right off. You might want to consider doing a small test part and then trying to peel it off a week or two later. I have no direct experience with the stuff but it does sound cool.

That's why I only dipped the front airdam . We will see , this trend is still kinda new . If it works out then I"ll do the whole car . Much easier than paint , a lot less labor .

I dipped my entire 280Z in the drive way. Plasti-dip will peel right off the car as advertised, ONLY if it was sprayed thick enough. The plasti-dip is still really easy to remove even if you screw up during application.

Hear-say rumors about these things, BAH-HUMBUG!!! This stuff works!!! Ya just need to read and follow the instructions!!

To Domzs: sorry about that spray pump burn out. I read a lot about that issue and got the Grayco HVLP sprayer/gun from Lowes. Works perfect :wink:

Edited by 280zex

• 2 weeks later...

I plasti diped my whole car and left it on for around 9months.  I did it black and can say I loved it.  It was what it said very easy to remove However I did find some places that I went a bit thin on and was harder to remove but a micro fibre cloth got rid of it really easy.  I got a dint on my front fender and it was going to be impossible to match the colour so for its birthday complete pull down. Problems: Very hard to keep clean, but I kind of liked that and if you do damage a panel you have to spray whole car.  Was hard to peel off older chrome.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...