HybridZ

Plasti-dip

Domzs

I had my 280z sprayed last Saturday over primer. I'm interested as well to see how it holds up over time.

It took 3 gallons to cover it in white. And then we put on a half gallon of pearlizer but I'm not too keen on the splotchiness of the pearl. Maybe we didn't put it on thick enough. At any rate I'm happy it's all one color! Haha

The spray gun worked great though! It was a $350-400 blue spray gun from lowes I believe is what my friend said. He sprays bedliner and other thick stuff with it. It's electric, so my job was to follow around making sure the extension chord didn't hit the z as we sprayed it.

I haven't figured out how to add pics so I have mine on my flickr page linked in my signature. Overall I'd do it again it looks great, he said up to a 3 year life with regular washing and using a car cover.

I had my 280z sprayed last Saturday over primer. I'm interested as well to see how it holds up over time.

It took 3 gallons to cover it in white. And then we put on a half gallon of pearlizer but I'm not too keen on the splotchiness of the pearl. Maybe we didn't put it on thick enough. At any rate I'm happy it's all one color! Haha

The spray gun worked great though! It was a $350-400 blue spray gun from lowes I believe is what my friend said. He sprays bedliner and other thick stuff with it. It's electric, so my job was to follow around making sure the extension chord didn't hit the z as we sprayed it.

I haven't figured out how to add pics so I have mine on my flickr page linked in my signature. Overall I'd do it again it looks great, he said up to a 3 year life with regular washing and using a car cover.

It looks pretty good . I'll be happy with 3 years but I don't think my will in Texas heat .

• 2 weeks later...

My personal experience, and that of friends isn't terribly positive when it comes to Plastidip. I sprayed the 'air foil' of the stock wing on our Evo 3 rally car after sanding out sun damaged paint up to 600 grit. Perhaps that was too course, but with 5 coats (not enough?) it was a royal PITA to remove, it took longer than the original sanding job. The reason it had to be removed was an oily part was laid on it, and the motor oil dissolved the Plastidip. I've heard bird sh*t, among other common outdoor substances will dissolve it. In my experience, I'd say it fine for blacking out detail items when you want to be able to return to stock with minimal effort, but personally, between the material cost, life expectancy, and potential difficulty to remove (I suppose this goes down as material quantity/cost goes up), I wouldn't do a whole car. But I also think 86% of the time, flat black looks terrible on cars. 

• 2 weeks later...

Dip lays on primer just fine and removes easily.

As previously mentioned, the thicker the coat, the easier it is to peel off.

When I sprayed our car, I combined several different YouTube tutorials and came up with a seven stage spray regimen...you don't get full color coverage till coat #4.

The thicker the coat, the better the self-leveling and the smoother the finish.

I experimented with some chemicals, the kind we'd expect to spill on a car and found that PlastiDip is basically immune to brake fluid but not super resistant to fuel. It's fine for a casual drip, but allowing gas to sit on dip will soften and eventually dissolve the finish.

A few points to take into account...

Dip does not take well to fasteners directly on the surface. If you rotate a screw/bolt onto the finish it will grab the membrane and try to take it off...kinda like drilling through carpet (if that makes any sense). Any fastener that goes directly on the dip should have a washer under it.

Spraying dip over an "old" coat of dip works well, the new coat kind of dissolves into the old and leaves a homogenous membrane, it peels off as one piece, not multiple layers. The color will not match however, so you must do the whole thing, not just a section.

The finish washes and airdries nicely, no waterspots...so maintenance is dead simple.

Z218.jpg

This is her first bath since we sprayed the main body a few weeks ago and here's a "dry shot" (all dusty again_ to show what the texture looks like:

Z215.jpg

We were told to expect to use four gallons total and  I've used about 1 3/4 so far on the body behind the windshield (doors, hatch and main shell). I'm not sure how the OP used almost that much on just the airdam, seems very weird to me. 

• 6 months later...

I know this was from may, so sorry about bumping it but figured id chime in. I dipped the mirrors, door handles, and gas door on my truck as an experiment before last winter. The black hasn't faded, it pealed right off the gas door a couple months ago after a year plus. The only place it started pealing on its own is tbe driver door handle edge i pull on everyday.

15+ years ago, when it was still used fortool handles, we did boat cleats and a couple other parts with no issues.

Quite a few guys at work have done emblems, grills, hoods, and spoilers with no issues.

Now my wife wants to dip her routan van (flat black, pink wheels and trim) and im thinking of doing my truck.

My opinion is it works, at least when done right. Hope it helps.