HybridZ

So i've been trying to find replacement inner tie rods for my 72 240z. It looks like nissan discontinued making them? There is also seem to be an issue with wrong inner tie rods from the regular autoparts (autozone, oreilly, rockyautoparts)? Where did you guys get your replacement inner tie rods?

I've read someone rebuilding their tie rods; re-tightening, re-grease them, install new boots. Anybody else do this? Did it work?

At one point I could only find inner tie rods for one side (either right or left-can't recall). Anyway, if that is still the case, you can use the same inner tie rod on both sides, but you have to get an outer tie rod to go with it. Only draw back is that the grease zerk is backwards, but you gotta pull a wheel to grease it anyway. I hope both sides aren't NLA!?

Where did you order it from?

At one point I could only find inner tie rods for one side (either right or left-can't recall). Anyway, if that is still the case, you can use the same inner tie rod on both sides, but you have to get an outer tie rod to go with it. Only draw back is that the grease zerk is backwards, but you gotta pull a wheel to grease it anyway. I hope both sides aren't NLA!?

Lord, it has been 5 or so years.  I think I got it from Advance Auto or AutoZone at the time.  The big end of the inner tie rod has the same direction threads on either side; it is the threads on the small portion that are either left or right hand thread depending on which side you get.  That is why you have to buy a new outer tie rod at the same time.

Yep, that's exactly what I need.

You can tighten them up. Just loosen up the lock ring and then turn the larger outer part in until it's tight, then tighten down the lock ring.

Thanks Jon. I will try that first.

• 1 year later...