HybridZ

Interior Color w/ good Exterior Color

Sanchez

Alright guys, It is time for me to think about the aesthetic qualities of my '73 240z since I have finished the L28 swap.  My car has the original paint, Yellow, and color code of 112 on the radiator support.  These cars came with black vinyl interior, which is KILLING ME.  I cannot drive in the summer without showing up to my destination drenched in sweat (I live in St. Louis, MO).  I want to go to a white interior: White seats, white vinyl, possibly a white headliner, white door panels (just the nice looking white interiors like the Blue and Orange Z's had an option for).  This will clash so bad with the Yellow that the car will look disgusting, I'm colorblind and just picturing that still looks ugly to me.  I want to know whether anybody has done the white interior with the metallic grey, metallic black, or the white exterior Z paint?  I love monochromatic color schemes since it is all I can see so I don't really want to paint it blue or orange.  I also plan on going ZG style with this car down the road with the fender flares, fender mirrors and g-nose kit, so I'm taking that into consideration as well.  Thanks for the help (and for the moderators if this borders more on exterior section then feel free to move it).

Thanks for the help, as I said being colorblind has made decisions about colors a real PITA.  I like the feedback I have gotten so far, White on white is out of the question, I would like to see a Z that had white interior and the black exterior because that sounds like it could be neat if done correctly.

Domzs - What do you mean by "tone the interior?" Do you mean dye it a lighter color?

Miles - Your interior looks pretty nice, but I have grey seat covers on my torn to shreds seats right now and it does not really do it for me, I prefer more contrast when it comes to interiors and exteriors.  What color is your exterior by the way?

Sideways - I am really liking how your interior looks, what is your exterior? That tan/black combo looks really clean.  When I bought the 240z it came with half of an A/C kit installed on it, I believe this was a dealer or first owner install and it once worked.  I took it off of the car because it was dirty, missing parts and the installer did a crap job with the wiring (turning it on caused the headlights to pulsate and overheated their fuse in about an hour).  I kept the pieces, but I don not think it would be feasible to reuse those pieces, and the added challenge of the L28 block being different.  Whether I do AC or not the interior is in need of an overhall anyway so I'm not trying to save as much money as possible here.

Thanks for the fast replies too, I can always count on this group of people to answer any Z related question.

Tan and black can look good, especially if you can add some chrome or brushed aluminum for contrast. A friend of mine has this combo in his white S2000 and it definitely looks sharp! Plenty of examples of this interior on the internet if you want to get an idea how it might look.

Keep the exterior yellow, an older neighbor of mine had an all original restored Z in yellow and it was very striking in the sunlight. Seeing him drive to work every day in it was very frustrating considering my car is in boxes all over the garage right now...

Yeah it's starting to look like tan/black leather interior matches any monochromatic exterior paint.  I would love to have this thing be totally originally restored but since it is a '73 240z it doesn't have that coolness boost from being totally stock, cause the '73 240z's and 260z's were terrible stock (in terms of carbs and smog equipment).

Plus I have an L28 in it already and I sort of like making this one to fit my expectations for a car, give it that slight luxury and comfortable feel that I think the early Z interiors lacked when the day was not just right.  This is going to be a daily driver and one thing I have learned in St. Louis is that your car will fade from a bright color to a dull color after 2 summers and 2 winters here.

BTW: Poundz9oh9 I would really like to see those pictures if you don't mind.  Satin black sounds nice, I'm trying to picture it with a nice off-center racing stripe all the way down the body as well.

Edited by Sanchez

• 3 weeks later...

So I was at my Interior refinished shop asking about getting the seats reupholstered in white when I noticed that the had a wall of interior paints to choose from. I realized this could allow me to stylize my interior with white and it would give me a great looking interior if I stylized with white, two tone black and white like somebody previously suggested, and it would really open up my choices of body color to nearly any color I want as well. Would anybody who has used these before give me their opinion on how this vinyl/interior paint works. Does it look and feel good?

Haha good one but which stain am I trying to avoid, the white vinyl staining my new blue jeans or vice versa?

I was thinking a white stylized interior with either the Datsun Blue, Orange, or a satin black. I also got word that my graduation present might be a gnose kit *wink wink* so I need to keep that in mind as well also.